Iowa Public Land Bowhunting | Episode 19 | Plan, Purchase, Pursue & Punch a Tag!

• Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Iowa Public Land Bowhunting | Episode 19 | Plan, Purchase, Pursue & Punch a Tag!

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:45 am

Latest podcast is out (on YouTube only for now, since it has a lot of references to video). I recap my planning, preparation, and hunt in Iowa. Probably old news to guys who already travel out of state regularly, but has some good info for guys looking to plan an out of state hunt or who are looking into hunting Iowa specifically. I've got links to check draw stats, purchase preference points, the Iowa hunting atlas. I also talk about how I planned to hunt easier access areas earlier on and move to harder to access areas as the hunt progressed in an effort to stay ahead of the hunting pressure.

As always, big thanks to Stealth Outdoors and Hunting Beast Gear!

https://youtu.be/uwUtbfq5Mt8

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Iowa Public Land Bowhunting | Episode 19 | Plan, Purchase, Pursue & Punch a Tag!

Unread postby Tim H » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:53 am

I’ll give it a listen Jeremy to see how I compare as far as preparation.
Moose
500 Club

Re: Iowa Public Land Bowhunting | Episode 19 | Plan, Purchase, Pursue & Punch a Tag!

Unread postby Moose » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:15 am

Good stuff! Even though I live in Iowa I enjoy hearing you breaking down your hunt. Sounds like you have some good spots for next time!! Thanks for sharing.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:40 am

8-)

Well done seaz.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:10 pm

You answered a few of my questions about hunting Iowa and I'm now interested in that decoy. Good stuff I enjoyed it. I'll be subscribing to your channel. Also is there a app that you use for the lidar maps when your not hunting Iowa?
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:11 pm

Thanks for sharing, as someone who is hoping to draw a zone 9 tag this year this was very helpful. I have spent hours pouring over the Iowa public atlas and I was not aware of the LIDAR feature. Now knowing about this will definitely help me out in my planning! Just wondering how you felt the pressure in Iowa compaired to what you have seen in Kansas? Thanks
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:39 am

Tim H wrote:I’ll give it a listen Jeremy to see how I compare as far as preparation.

Thanks Tim! As usual, I learned a lot of this trip and will feel more confident headed back next time.

Moose wrote:Good stuff! Even though I live in Iowa I enjoy hearing you breaking down your hunt. Sounds like you have some good spots for next time!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for listening. I am definitely excited to get back, too bad it will be 4-6 more years before that happens :lol: I'll probably make 2 or 3 more trips to Iowa in that time frame to scout. Would like to have 5-10 more spots built up for the next trip.

Jackson Marsh wrote:8-)

Well done seaz.

8-)

Dpoole90 wrote:You answered a few of my questions about hunting Iowa and I'm now interested in that decoy. Good stuff I enjoyed it. I'll be subscribing to your channel. Also is there a app that you use for the lidar maps when your not hunting Iowa?

Thanks for the sub! I use Caltopo for Lidar in other states. I have a full blog post about using Lidar in Caltopo, including how to enable the layers and what states have Lidar coverage (not all states or all portions of all states have Lidar data yet). Here's a link to my Lidar Blog. https://going4brokeoutdoors.com/next-level-e-scouting-for-whitetail-deer-with-lidar/

Pudster wrote:Thanks for sharing, as someone who is hoping to draw a zone 9 tag this year this was very helpful. I have spent hours pouring over the Iowa public atlas and I was not aware of the LIDAR feature. Now knowing about this will definitely help me out in my planning! Just wondering how you felt the pressure in Iowa compaired to what you have seen in Kansas? Thanks

It seemed like there was a good amount of hunting pressure. Not so ridiculous where I was running into multiple people everyday type of pressure, but a lot of vehicles parked on the sides of the road. When I hunted less traditional areas (properties dominated by CRP, and small scrubby brush) I only saw one other hunter and I still saw plenty of good deer. Seems like most guys were hunting the mature timber type areas. I did run into one guy hunting the piece where I killed my buck, but I was a full mile deeper than he was through some nasty walking.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:50 am

Gave it a watch this morning, I’m really enjoying your podcasts on YouTube. I probably won’t draw this year but am planning a scouting trip in March to look around out there again. Good info!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:07 pm

WV Bowhunter wrote:Gave it a watch this morning, I’m really enjoying your podcasts on YouTube. I probably won’t draw this year but am planning a scouting trip in March to look around out there again. Good info!!

Thanks for watching. Appreciate the feedback, especially from a veteran. I'm targeting newer mobile hunters mostly, but glad to hear hunters like you are listening too.

Good luck in Iowa, even though I know you don't need no stinking luck!
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:03 pm

Awesome information seaz! This podcast, and a recent podcast by beast member Tim H has convinced me that Iowa is not the place for me. All that hoop jumping and money and you still have to be watching for human sign as much as deer sign. No thanks. I don't care how big the racks are.

You are a rare source of knowledge in the e-scouting world. Keep up the good work! Awesome blogs!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:23 pm

Really good information. I think a good thing to take from this is Iowa still requires a ton of work. There are good bucks but your still gonna work for them just like anywhere else. My only regret is I didn’t start applying when I was younger and had unlimited energy instead of waiting till I was older. As good as Iowa is now it was way better back then.

Might have to find me some flatter land there for my golden years. The hills get steeper it seems every time I draw. :lol:
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:57 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Awesome information seaz! This podcast, and a recent podcast by beast member Tim H has convinced me that Iowa is not the place for me. All that hoop jumping and money and you still have to be watching for human sign as much as deer sign. No thanks. I don't care how big the racks are.

You are a rare source of knowledge in the e-scouting world. Keep up the good work! Awesome blogs!

Could you point me in the direction of Tim's Podcast?
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:20 am

Pudster wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:Awesome information seaz! This podcast, and a recent podcast by beast member Tim H has convinced me that Iowa is not the place for me. All that hoop jumping and money and you still have to be watching for human sign as much as deer sign. No thanks. I don't care how big the racks are.

Could you point me in the direction of Tim's Podcast?

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/e ... 0541351310
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:01 am

I'll have to check out the podcast with Tim and Josh, always a chance to learn from guys getting it done.

I can see why guys would want to avoid Iowa. The tag is big money. I do think a guy could avoid a fair amount of the pressure if he committed to hunting non-traditional times, first week of the season, Last two weeks of November vs first two weeks. Late season, etc.

Thanks for the comments on the blogs too. Usually nothing earth shattering in terms of new knowledge, but sometimes a different presentation helps or a new nugget or two might pop up even if 90% of the other info is essentially a re-hash of topics covered on the Beast.

Dewey wrote:Really good information. I think a good thing to take from this is Iowa still requires a ton of work. There are good bucks but your still gonna work for them just like anywhere else. My only regret is I didn’t start applying when I was younger and had unlimited energy instead of waiting till I was older. As good as Iowa is now it was way better back then.

Might have to find me some flatter land there for my golden years. The hills get steeper it seems every time I draw. :lol:

Yea, definitely no easy public land bucks. I'd say of the states I've hunted (Iowa, Kansas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan and Montana) Iowa was the easiest to get on decent deer, and I saw more big ones between scouting, glassing, and hunting than I've seen in other states combined, so the reputation is well deserved. With that said, finding and killing a big one is still a significant challenge.

As far as the hills, I hear you. I'm not getting any younger, and hunting elk is already more difficult than I'd like it to be. The one good thing elk hunting in September gets a guy in shape and makes the whitetail hills seem not so bad by the time November rolls around.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:20 am

seazofcheeze wrote:

I'll have to check out the podcast with Tim and Josh, always a chance to learn from guys getting it done.

I can see why guys would want to avoid Iowa. The tag is big money. I do think a guy could avoid a fair amount of the pressure if he committed to hunting non-traditional times, first week of the season, Last two weeks of November vs first two weeks. Late season, etc.

Thanks for the comments on the blogs too. Usually nothing earth shattering in terms of new knowledge, but sometimes a different presentation helps or a new nugget or two might pop up even if 90% of the other info is essentially a re-hash of topics covered on the Beast.

Dewey wrote:Really good information. I think a good thing to take from this is Iowa still requires a ton of work. There are good bucks but your still gonna work for them just like anywhere else. My only regret is I didn’t start applying when I was younger and had unlimited energy instead of waiting till I was older. As good as Iowa is now it was way better back then.

Yea, definitely no easy public land bucks. I'd say of the states I've hunted (Iowa, Kansas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan and Montana) Iowa was the easiest to get on decent deer, and I saw more big ones between scouting, glassing, and hunting than I've seen in other states combined, so the reputation is well deserved. With that said, finding and killing a big one is still a significant challenge.

As far as the hills, I hear you. I'm not getting any younger, and hunting elk is already more difficult than I'd like it to be. The one good thing elk hunting in September gets a guy in shape and makes the whitetail hills seem not so bad by the time November rolls around.

To comment on your first reply hunting pressure is much different outside the rut. Last year I hunted opening week, the entire rut and also late season. Hunted 5 weeks total. Outside the rut there was zero pressure from bowhunters. I was pretty much the only person on the properties I hunted. Late season there was muzzleloader pressure but the bulk was right before I got there so that really slowed daylight movement. I never saw a buck the entire week I was there in January. Extremely tough hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”