Shad "Oldrank" Thornsberry | Picking Pockets on Pressured Public | Episode 23 | Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast

• Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Re: Shad "Oldrank" Thornsberry | Picking Pockets on Pressured Public | Episode 23 | Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:46 pm

Question... OldRank said most of the time he hunts high up in a climber on white oaks...

Are the white oaks in Michigan shaped like telephone poles ???

Most white oaks around my area are not telephone pole like,,,,. They have many branches,,. And a guy would never be able to hunt "high" in a climbing treestand without cutting branches.

oldrank

Re: Shad "Oldrank" Thornsberry | Picking Pockets on Pressured Public | Episode 23 | Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:59 pm

john1984 wrote:Question... OldRank said most of the time he hunts high up in a climber on white oaks...

Most white oaks around my area are not telephone pole like,,,,. They have many branches,,. And a guy would never be able to hunt "high" in a climbing treestand without cutting branches.

Yes, they are like telephone poles around home. Around my northern property they are alot more knarly and it's a bit more difficult to find a good one. I will use a different set up up there if need be or get in pines or red oaks up there. I would post a pic but I'm at my property and get crappy reception. I will when I get home. I think it's because up north the soil is poor and the trees grow slower. Back home it's a mature forest so the younger trees grow straight n tall to reach sunlight. I never trim anything on public it is illegal in Michigan.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:08 am

:clap: good stuff.
Enjoyed it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:10 am

john1984 wrote:Question... OldRank said most of the time he hunts high up in a climber on white oaks...

Here is a good example John. This is actually one of my favorite spots. It is the spot I killed the 13 point I talked about. I have killed a pile of bucks here. You can see the thicket starting just to the right of my cousin. I killed a doe on this hunt shortly after I took the pic. We had a bunch come in and bed just on the edge of the thicket and I shot her in her bed with my 450 bm.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:55 am

Make sense now John..I seen your post on youtube. Makes alot of sense to me....
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:13 am

Looks like oak leaves to me....lol
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:37 am

And....that looks like a summit...
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:15 am

oldrank wrote:

Here is a good example John. This is actually one of my favorite spots. It is the spot I killed the 13 point I talked about. I have killed a pile of bucks here. You can see the thicket starting just to the right of my cousin. I killed a doe on this hunt shortly after I took the pic. We had a bunch come in and bed just on the edge of the thicket and I shot her in her bed with my 450 bm.

Sorry I doubted you Oldrank :lol:

Alot of the white oaks where I hunt look like this.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:11 pm

john1984 wrote:
oldrank wrote:

Sorry I doubted you Oldrank :lol:

Alot of the white oaks where I hunt look like this.

That's what they look like up around my northern Michigan property... the a rarely straight up there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”