Shad "Oldrank" Thornsberry | Picking Pockets on Pressured Public | Episode 23 | Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast

• Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Shad "Oldrank" Thornsberry | Picking Pockets on Pressured Public | Episode 23 | Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:50 pm

I'm sure you all recognize long-time member of the Hunting Beast Forum Shad "Oldrank" Thornsberry. Shad is a very proficient public land deer hunter. In this episode we focus on Shad’s lessons learned from 30 years of hunting Michigan’s highly pressured public lands, which include gathering intel on other public land hunters, making use of hiking trails for clean access to stand locations, and how Shad maximizes his time in the woods by hunting areas based on seasonal changes. We also discuss finding the balance between family life and hunting season, and Shad’s preferred mobile hunting setup. This one is packed full of knowledge from a veteran of arguably one of the toughest places to get on good bucks, Michigan public land.

Episode Link
https://going4brokeoutdoors.podbean.com/e/shad-thornsberry-picking-pockets-on-pressured-public-episode-23-going-4-broke-outdoors-podcast/

mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: Shad "Oldrank" Thornsberry | Picking Pockets on Pressured Public | Episode 23 | Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:05 pm

Good listen, I always pay attention when oldrank posts.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Shad "Oldrank" Thornsberry | Picking Pockets on Pressured Public | Episode 23 | Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:37 pm

This oughta be a good one!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:36 pm

Some of my kill dates and years are off... I guess everything blends into one long deer season at this point in time..lol.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:48 am

Pumped for this one. MI guy here myself just getting going in the public land realm, so lots to learn from a guy like Oldrank.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:20 am

Just finished this up this morning. Great listen!
Ryan
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:37 am

My wife listened... she wanted to clear up that she is an outdoors women because she camps and pees in the woods..
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:23 am

oldrank wrote:My wife listened... she wanted to clear up that she is an outdoors women because she camps and pees in the woods..

:lol: hard to argue there. Protip - Never argue with the woman in your life :lol:

Thanks to everyone who has listened, and thanks to Shad for coming on, good stuff :clap:
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:09 am

thanks for posting. Ill deinftely listen in once I slow down with work etc. Always look forward to hearing from fellow Michigan public hunters
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:44 am

Very nice podcast, well done.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:46 am

:clap: :clap: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Mr. SMITH

Unread postby Mr. SMITH » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:27 am

Good episode :clap: i would recommend anyone who hasn't heard it go and listen too it.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:19 am

Thanks for all the comments. I always enjoy the podcasts Jeremy does. They are my morning radio to me. I enjoyed doing it even though I feel I missed alot of stuff n fumbled through my words a bit. I also want to thank him for having me on.

A few things I jacked up. The buck I talk about killing twice was 2 separate bucks. Actually it was 2020 and 2018. I kept saying 2017. The other thing, when I said I killed my buck opening day of gun it was 4 or 5 days after opening day. I kinda split my season between up north n back home so it messed my brain up. A few other date blips too but not contradicting to the podcast.

There are a few other theories I would have liked to discuss. One being what I call buffer zone hunting. That is where I look at certain human access points then figure out the middle between them. These spots seem to be missed because folks are not reaching them.

The other is the 2nd ridge from the road theory. If there are rolling hills that parallel the road that 2nd ridge is some what protected from sound and sight and I find the deer travel them.

Anyhow thanks again and I look forward to his next guest.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:53 pm

I’m about half way though this one..really good so far…shad if I ever cross the bridge and start hunting Michigan around you I will be sure to take an Uber when I hunt so you can’t pin down where I’m hunting and what I’m up to :lol:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:20 am

That was a great listen. I always like hearing from the michigan guys. You gave me some ideas with the hilly, pothole swamp terrain. I’ve scouted a bunch of it but never put serious time in there. The pressure has really picked up in the bigger swamps the last couple years. Might have to change it up some this year. Interesting hunting close to human trails. The biggest Michigan public shed I found was about 50yds from an active trail. I’m sure a ton of people walked right by it I found it in the fall

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”