Shad "Oldrank" Thornsberry | Picking Pockets on Pressured Public | Episode 23 | Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast

oldrank

Re: Shad "Oldrank" Thornsberry | Picking Pockets on Pressured Public | Episode 23 | Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:47 am

Kokes wrote:I’m about half way though this one..really good so far…shad if I ever cross the bridge and start hunting Michigan around you I will be sure to take an Uber when I hunt so you can’t pin down where I’m hunting and what I’m up to :lol:

Haha, that might stump me a bit. Boot tracks are just as telling cause I can tell where guys dropped off the trail. Really it's just a mass combination of it all together. If I know Joe hunter and his buddy are somewhere I can use it to an advantage. Another thing I do is use heavily human use areas as wind pushes. If a weekend is going to be cold and beautiful and I know alot of hunters are going to be coming into the woods I'll use that trail as a push area and set up some where strategic where that trail and human scent will push the deer to me. It works great during rut or pre rut because bucks get caught in dangerous places at night and have to get back to security.

Bigburner

Re: Shad "Oldrank" Thornsberry | Picking Pockets on Pressured Public | Episode 23 | Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:15 am

Haven't finished it yet . I got through about half of it yesterday walking with the dog in the woods. But so far so good. Thanks for your time Shad. Always love hearing everyone's approach.
Looking forward to the rest.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:22 am

Great episode. Boy I can relate to a lot of that.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:03 am

Wow, lots of great ideas for working around the hunting pressure on public land! Thanks for sharing your insights.
-db-

Unread postby -db- » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:24 am

Good show. Downloaded some others, too. Thanks.
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

@upnorthoutdoors989
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:59 pm

Great podcast gentlemen! :clap:
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:36 pm

Actual pic of the ridge where I killed the 2 bucks and seen the drop tine buck. You can see the thick in the background over the ridge. I am sitting on the start of the cattails in the tree where I killed the 8 point. There is a guy walking down the human trail to the left.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:14 am

oldrank wrote:Image

Actual pic of the ridge where I killed the 2 bucks and seen the drop tine buck. You can see the thick in the background over the ridge. I am sitting on the start of the cattails in the tree where I killed the 8 point. There is a guy walking down the human trail to the left.

Incredible, definitely looks overlooked
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:15 am

That's surprising, it looks so open. I probably wouldn't think to sit in a place like that as I would assume a big buck wouldn't move through there in daylight.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:14 am

Hookslinger wrote:

That's surprising, it looks so open. I probably wouldn't think to sit in a place like that as I would assume a big buck wouldn't move through there in daylight.

Remember on the podcast I said it's only open for a small bit then drops into a swamp. The deer get squeezed into it by pressure and land features. In reality it's the last place they can go before dropping into the swamp. The does n small bucks cross right where the guy is walking but the larger bucks cross it diagonally a little ways up then stay below the peak and drop in that way. Either way they get pinched to where I'm at. The bucks also do it fast, they pretty much run it till they get in the cattails. They definitely don't like it but have to do it. I know other hunters hunt around me but I'm the only guy hunting that exact little pattern. If I hunted it wrong or passed a certain point and scented it up I would blow it up.

Then also everything has to line up.. no humans for an extended period. That's why I watch the parking lot. I won't hunt it if there is even one car. After the guy came through in the pic I moved.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:01 am

Listened this evening. Nice work Cut-bait :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:15 pm

Bucks moving over the ridge. I'm up top in one pic n down in my kill tree in other.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:47 pm

oldrank wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:

Remember on the podcast I said it's only open for a small bit then drops into a swamp. The deer get squeezed into it by pressure and land features. In reality it's the last place they can go before dropping into the swamp. The does n small bucks cross right where the guy is walking but the larger bucks cross it diagonally a little ways up then stay below the peak and drop in that way. Either way they get pinched to where I'm at. The bucks also do it fast, they pretty much run it till they get in the cattails. They definitely don't like it but have to do it. I know other hunters hunt around me but I'm the only guy hunting that exact little pattern. If I hunted it wrong or passed a certain point and scented it up I would blow it up.

Then also everything has to line up.. no humans for an extended period. That's why I watch the parking lot. I won't hunt it if there is even one car. After the guy came through in the pic I moved.

Gotcha, that makes sense. That's impressive to find such a spot that is so overlooked. I enjoyed the podcast and picked up quite a few things, thank you.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:03 am

Great information! I always enjoy hearing and learning other hunters tactics. Good stuff oldrank!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:05 am

loved the title, now I have to check it out after all the information put here. I hunt some heavily walked by the dog walking nation during October and November, this sounds like you made some pretty good strategy of this type area.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”