What is the best thing you learned from Hunting Beast?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jpe40

Re: What is the best thing you learned from Hunting Beast?

Unread postby jpe40 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:06 am

Being mobile I use to sit the same ladder stands and see less and less as the season progressed now I move as often as needed and see way more deer 2nd thing would be to scout a ton

Jwinfalt

Unread postby Jwinfalt » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:24 am

That I am not the only lunatic thinking of this stuff pretty much all year!?

The mobile mindset is what I love the most about the community here. It opens the door for learning and creativity. As another has said here, it gives an advantage to anyone with a growth mindset. It allows the hardest workers the most opportunity. It allows those who want to learn that opportunity by being constantly thrust in to new environments and situations.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:50 am

You have to hunt where the deer are, Circa Stanley---
One of many learnings from past and present
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
-db-

Unread postby -db- » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:07 am

The importance of scouting, understanding and locating bedding and being mobile.
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

@upnorthoutdoors989
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:39 am

Man it would really be tough to pick a single most important tactic I have learned here. I was hunting and killing bucks, but I think the biggest thing I have learned:
MATURE bucks are not even in the same class of hunting decent bucks. Targeting and killing mature bucks takes things to another level.

I located a truely mature old buck that was a giant for my area. Trying to research about buck bedding online, I found Dan. Having Dan and all the contributors to the BEAST combined with chasing a mature buck really fast tracked my learning curve. I still have not gotten to where I want to be or even close, but being a student of the woods and having the Hunting Beast as a guide, learning is so much fun!
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:50 am

The most important info I've gotten from here has been about deer behavior. The why's. Why they bed where and how they do. Why the first sit is the best. Why I need to be more mobile, etc ...

There's one thing I've noticed about the very best deer hunters and that is they all have a very good idea of what the deer will do before he does it. They all have an ability to think like a deer and answer the why's.

I ask the why every time I'm in the woods and rarely come up with a solid answer. I usually tend to overthink it or underestimate a deer's ability to quickly adapt and avoid being killed. I'm getting better all the time and making more correct decisions every season but the learning never ends I guess.

Another thing that has been eye opening for me is to find the overlooked spots especially stuff that's right by the parking spot or access point. I have had a lot of success with hunting spots I never would have looked twice at in the past.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:52 am

All of it! So many, but if I were to generalize, I'd say the encouragement to not be afraid to try new things and listen what your gut has to say, but always put your money on sign. And it kind of goes without saying, but you gotta hunt where the deer will be moving during daylight. It's so easy to forget that if you get caught up in the super commercialized hunting media.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:32 pm

I’m still learning, but I’ve killed a lot more deer since I joined 9 years ago.

My favorite Dan is very simple: “Mature bucks live where No one goes.”

followed closely by “Even if you are the only one hunting there you are still hunting pressure.”
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:37 pm

I always new deer bed in certain "areas" and always kind of hunted close to bedding "areas". I never really thought about them having specific beds.

Once I watched your videos, swamp bedding, I went out to see for my self if it was true. I found a very obvious point point in a flag pond on an aerial map. I marked it and went to verify it.

A little skeptical, I approached the south side of the point and seen a very large track leading into it. I thought, no way!? I had a hunt there in the next couple days and really wanted to back out and save it, but I was just too curious to find out if this bedding thing was legit.

I followed the tracks towards north, towards the tip of the point, and right before I can see the point, a big buck takes off and runs straight across the pond.

I couldn't believe the first spot I ever checkout verified this specific bed thing was legit.

I ended up sitting there the first morning and caught a buck slipping into the point to go bed. I unfortunately made a bad shot.

I have had many experiences like this since. When I just thought of giant bedding "areas", I kind of stayed out and never pressed in. Once I started finding old specific beds in the summer time, I started moving into the bedding "areas" to hunt specific beds. Changed everything for me.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:31 pm

The “just off” wind is far and away the best concept I’ve learned from listening to Dan’s work. Of course in hindsight, it makes total sense that a mature buck will feel most comfortable with a wind that is mostly in his favor as opposed to one that is 100% bad for him. It isn’t always a guarantee, but I’ve put bucks on the wall using this approach.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:23 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:You have to hunt where the deer are, Circa Stanley---
One of many learnings from past and present

As simple as that sounds, that is an important perspective. On the live show last night someone asked how many big bucks do they need to kill, ofwhat size, and how often do they need to kill them to be considered a good hunter... I thought wow... Is that really what huntimg has become? As YOU well know, where you live and hunt is going to have a huge impact on what you kill and its size.
Wolfshead
500 Club

Unread postby Wolfshead » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:28 pm

How to approach hunting.
I remember my first ever hunt.
Mind you, I had no experience, no one hunted in my family, and no help from anyone.
I walked into the woods about an hour before first light and sat right in the middle and expected a deer to show up.
Since then I’ve learned many things, but how to approach hunting is the most important, and that covers a lot of things.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:25 am

Overall, I think the best thing the beast has given me is confidence in myself. This style makes me feel like I’m in the game most hunts..you do get those hunts sometimes where you’re looking for sign and nothing is found but then usually you know atleast not to come back to that area.

I do find that I hunt my best when I’m by myself. Most of my hunting buddies don’t necessarily hunt this style or it’s hard to get them to jump on board. To this I end up curbing my intended plans to make things smoother with them. Finding someone to join you in this style is not an easy task, which to me does stink because I do enjoy the sharing a successful hunt with a good friend.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:40 am

I think the biggest thing for me was learning that mature bucks don’t act like the rest of the deer. Understanding that completely changed the way I scouted and hunted.

The other thing I picked up from the forum was rut hunting tactics.

Every year I find maybe 2-5 bucks I’d be happy to tag. Some bucks I get after early and some I’m waiting for them to shift while others I know I won’t get a crack at until rut and maybe not at all. This really helped me not waste time and burn out areas when a buck wasn’t killable. For example I might be getting midnight pics of a really good buck where I can hunt. Thats a buck I’ll try to keep tabs on but realistically I won’t hunt that deer until rut most likely because he’s bedded to far away.

I also started hunting much more aggressively when I think I have the odds. I’ve messed up on some toads because I got to close or they moved a little different and I got winded. But I’ve also killed quite a few that way.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:47 am

It's not an exaggeration to say that this forum taught me how to hunt. I grew up in the city and didn't know a single person that hunted. It's a shame too, as both of my grandfathers loved to hunt, but one died before I was born and the other lived across the country. I moved as soon as I had the opportunity in my late 20s and started to hunt in my early 30s.

Had no idea what I was doing the first couple years and was only bowhunting then. Once I discovered this website, I consumed all the knowledge I could and am now taking multiple deer every year, all on public land that is highly pressured.

I'm still learning a ton but owe mostly everything to Dan and others who participate on here who have given me the confidence and blue collar work ethic to go find where the deer are.

I honestly don't know what I would be like now without hunting in my life, but I'm sure it wouldn't be good. Thanks again to everyone who has shared their knowledge with me. You may not realize it, but you all are the hunting mentors I never got the chance to have.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”