Wind question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Wind question

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:12 pm

PApublic1187 wrote:
PK_ wrote:
PApublic1187 wrote:Hello Beasts,

So something has been sticking me up lately in planning for this season. Hunting different places all the time, should I look at the wind, and after looking at the wind select a piece of public that was scouted? Or should I pick a piece of public based on best chance in time frame of the year and play the wind in that spot however you have to do it. I guess what I’m saying is should I go with my knowledge on when I think that area will be best and just check the wind before entering and enter and setup accordingly, even if it isn’t the desired setup and I end up dating a fat chick. Let me know what you think guys I think this may help some other guys out as well.

Many Thanks

In general, I hunt the properties I believe to be best for the time of year and current conditions. Actual daytime wind may or may not dictate the specific spot I setup at, but almost never the property. But I also hunt very large pieces of public…

I don’t want to be hunting the right spot with the wrong wind or the wrong spot with the right wind.

Most ‘spots’ setup for only certain wind directions, but some can be hunted in multiple wind directions, you may just have to change your access or ‘final approach’ to the spot and exactly where you setup.

Hopefully that makes sense. If you need anymore details on any of that lmk.

I think I understand. Begin your entrance in a “negative terrain” easy access area and when coming in proximity of your spot, switch your entrance based on wind conditions. Only thing that I may get caught up on is how close to the presumed spot to hunt do you change your approach?

There are a lot of variables there. But in general, change your access or final approach enough to not go upwind of where the deer are. This might be the last 100 yards, quarter mile or more…

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:28 am

PK_ wrote:
PApublic1187 wrote:
PK_ wrote:

So something has been sticking me up lately in planning for this season. Hunting different places all the time, should I look at the wind, and after looking at the wind select a piece of public that was scouted? Or should I pick a piece of public based on best chance in time frame of the year and play the wind in that spot however you have to do it. I guess what I’m saying is should I go with my knowledge on when I think that area will be best and just check the wind before entering and enter and setup accordingly, even if it isn’t the desired setup and I end up dating a fat chick. Let me know what you think guys I think this may help some other guys out as well.

Many Thanks

In general, I hunt the properties I believe to be best for the time of year and current conditions. Actual daytime wind may or may not dictate the specific spot I setup at, but almost never the property. But I also hunt very large pieces of public…

I don’t want to be hunting the right spot with the wrong wind or the wrong spot with the right wind.

Most ‘spots’ setup for only certain wind directions, but some can be hunted in multiple wind directions, you may just have to change your access or ‘final approach’ to the spot and exactly where you setup.

I think I understand. Begin your entrance in a “negative terrain” easy access area and when coming in proximity of your spot, switch your entrance based on wind conditions. Only thing that I may get caught up on is how close to the presumed spot to hunt do you change your approach?

There are a lot of variables there. But in general, change your access or final approach enough to not go upwind of where the deer are. This might be the last 100 yards, quarter mile or more…

Ok, that makes sense. So for a basic example if you have a mile long swamp that runs north and south wind is blowing from the east I should try and get on the east side of the swamp before it starts because their can be deer bedded all through the swamp. In a opposite example if you have the same setup. Swamp running north and south with the wind blowing from the east but I can blow my wind into hardwoods until about 1/4 mile to spot. Then must adjust. These are made up examples just trying to grasp that concept. Sound about right? Of course there is more variables to some pieces then just wind and bedding.
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:29 am

Makes sense, but easier way of looking at it, is to avoid having the wind blowing to where you believe the deer are. The deer may be feeding in the hardwoods at night, then gravitating to the swamp in the morning. In this case you’d want your approach coming through or from the swamp, with the wind blowing towards it, or at least away from the direction that you’d expect them to come from. This would be during a morning hunt. Opposite would be for an evening sit.

First though, you want to confirm through scouting, that the type of deer you’re looking for, are actively in the area, then plan the hunt (access/where you’re sitting) based on where they’re traveling through, and how the wind/thermals are working in the area.

Conditions change a lot, year to year, and many times by the day. I have yet to see one spot have the same movement of deer in it, two years in a row. It can come down to something as simple as one oak or beech tree, producing more from one year to the next, that decides where they’ll be.

Pre season scouting, is great, to give the layout, of the land , access routes, and what type of deer an area can produce, but it’s always best in my opinion to confirm theres recent activity, then be flexible by adjusting for wind or changes in any movement pattern, before actually hunting a certain spot.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:27 am

PApublic1187 wrote:
PK_ wrote:
PApublic1187 wrote:
PK_ wrote:

Many Thanks

Ok, that makes sense. So for a basic example if you have a mile long swamp that runs north and south wind is blowing from the east I should try and get on the east side of the swamp before it starts because their can be deer bedded all through the swamp. In a opposite example if you have the same setup. Swamp running north and south with the wind blowing from the east but I can blow my wind into hardwoods until about 1/4 mile to spot. Then must adjust. These are made up examples just trying to grasp that concept. Sound about right? Of course there is more variables to some pieces then just wind and bedding.

You have me a bit confused with the wording in your example.

But I think you have the idea.

You need to have a grasp on where the deer will be at nighttime and where they will be during the day. Don’t let your scent blow towards those areas during those times. You really need to use milkweed to see what’s going on, you can’t just go by what the weather app says for wind direction, that’s like getting financial advice from a bank teller.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”