History of your acorn crop

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: History of your acorn crop

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:43 am

Brad wrote:I live near St Louis MO & have a red oak in my yard that produced more acorns this past fall than any of the previous 8 years.
I don't know what would make a bumper crop, but I've heard poor acorn crops have mostly to do with when there is a late frost. Also I remember heading something about white oaks being effected the same year as the frost and red oaks crop being effected the year after the late frost... or something like that...

I've heard and read something on that too recently about white oaks. Late frost kills off the oak flowers that are necessary for the acorn to grow. Up here that would be late April or early May. I still had to rake a lot of them this spring and clean my gutters a couple times. I dont know if thats a good thing or not for the acorns, we'll see.

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:54 am

This is the second year in a row I have had a gypsy moth infestation in my area. All the oak trees have been stripped of their foliage. Not good!
Didn’t GO20

Unread postby Didn’t GO20 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:41 am

Where I hunt in Ohio ,last year the acorns were nonexistent…most of my good places depend on the mass crop, so last year’s season was terrible.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:41 am

I have never really kept up with it. I don’t recall ever having a year of none or really even scarce. Had years of early season floods which caused the acorns to rot. But will say 2019 season was the heaviest crop I have ever seen. Entire woods was shin deep in them and they just kept raining down.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Drich

Unread postby Drich » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:19 am

One year, maybe 2019, there were no acorns. A freeze got them young. All other years have at least been able to find some. MN

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”