Coyotes and Deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dabowhunter

Coyotes and Deer

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:31 am

I recently hunted public land in SW Iowa. I was amazed at the coyote activity there. Practically every sit I saw coyotes at every hour of the day. But the crazy part about it was coyotes hanging around seemingly healthy deer. One day I watched a buck cut across a field being followed by a coyote. Later the buck came back with the coyote close behind. Hour after that a doe comes running up close to my stand with the same buck and now two coyotes. Coyotes stayed within 10 yards or so of the deer, following their every move. No aggressive behavior from coyotes. Deer did not seem bothered by the coyotes in the least. I've never seen this nor heard of it before. Anyone else seen this?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Coyotes and Deer

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:03 am

Shining I’ve seen coyotes shadowing deer while feeding never during the daylight.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:10 am

Sounds like you need to make the coyotes take a dirt nap.

Can't stand coyotes they kill fawns which is deer huntings future.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:55 am

I had one I decided to take out. He was standing broadside at ten yards. Lucky for him I had stiffened up from the cold and couldn't draw back my bow . It did serve as a heads up to me to keep the blood flowing to my shoulder and draw back every once in a while.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”