How often do you actually see deer travel with wind to back?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Re: How often do you actually see deer travel with wind to b

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:37 am

dan wrote:Matter of fact... The over all majority of "feeding deer" I observe feed walking with wind to backl so they can smell behind them and watch in front of them. I filmed a buck in a food plot last year semi circle the plot to get the wind to his back and as he fed he would lift his head and scan in front of him while smelling behind. When he got all the way across the food plot he quickly turned around and walked back to the other side and started over again.

Interviewing Andrae for the next DVD he said the exact same thing in the interview...

When I see deer using the wind and walking on cross winds and nose to the wind a lot is rut... I think thats how they find the most does...

Was out scouting last night. I watched the bucks enter with wind to back and do the exact semi circle tactic on a point to reenter with wind to back and an open view of the field ahead. Only makes sense that they would take full advantage of their defenses. Totally agree with cross winds and the rut. I have witnessed this as well.

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
ThatsABingo

Re: How often do you actually see deer travel with wind to back?

Unread postby ThatsABingo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:16 am

most bucks I have seen walk with the wind in their face and then shift to crosswind almost like a Z pattern. Never seen one walk a long distance with the wind in their face or behind their back.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:08 am

PK_ wrote:If you ever have a chance to hunt rutting bucks in wide open terrain you need to do it. You will learn so much from watching a buck cruise for miles at a time. How he does it, how he uses the wind to find does. How they loop around their bed. How they stand for 15 minutes waiting for the thermals to switch before going into a bed or other destination. It is really awesome to have their full circuit exposed for you to see. Generally in a wooded setting especially from a treestand you are just seeing a tiny snapshot of their movements and can really draw some false conclusions.

Snow tracking is another eye opening endeavor.

PK - Can you please expand on your rut movement observations? What do you see with movement patterns based on wind direction? Cross wind or quartering winds? How close to bedding thickets? Right on the edge, inside it, or a ways away? Thanks
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:54 am

DaHunter wrote:
PK_ wrote:If you ever have a chance to hunt rutting bucks in wide open terrain you need to do it. You will learn so much from watching a buck cruise for miles at a time. How he does it, how he uses the wind to find does. How they loop around their bed. How they stand for 15 minutes waiting for the thermals to switch before going into a bed or other destination. It is really awesome to have their full circuit exposed for you to see. Generally in a wooded setting especially from a treestand you are just seeing a tiny snapshot of their movements and can really draw some false conclusions.

PK - Can you please expand on your rut movement observations? What do you see with movement patterns based on wind direction? Cross wind or quartering winds? How close to bedding thickets? Right on the edge, inside it, or a ways away? Thanks

No problem.

But I need to clarify what I said there about bucks using wind, I meant in specific locations when they are looking for does or checking for danger at a destination. Overall i don’t believe bucks pay much if any attention to wind direction as far as where they are going to go and how they are going to get there. When a buck wants to cover ground he will take the shortest/easiest route with few exceptions. Mature bucks seem to place a very high priority on being efficient.

However mature bucks are certainly using the wind to their advantage in key areas. If you walk through the woods dropping milkweed constantly in some terrains you will notice you can cover a lot of ground and continuously have the milkweed going to the same area, on multiple wind directions. Those areas, ‘wind funnels’ as I call them is where a mature buck is likely to be or to travel thru. The same is true for spots where rising or falling thermals gather (search thermal hub). Bucks rely on these terrain features that funnel wind and thermals much more than they do on the actual wind direction.

A lot of guys talk about bucks cruising downwind of doe bedding, which does happen when the conditions are right. But many times I see them cutting in front of the doe bedding(search parallel trail) and ground scent checking all those doe trails. Or they will dive right thru the heart of the bedding if there isn’t a good spot to scent check it downwind or a good way to run a parallel trail. It depends on the bedding area, terrain and current conditions that will dictate which strategy works better for the buck.

But as far as where or how far the buck will scent check a bed or feed area or whatever from, it all depends on the terrain and how the wind moves thru that spot.

There is a lot to unpack here without writing a book, and it all is so situational. Also I am continuously observing and learning from year to year so I am not trying to come across as if I have it all figured out. It’s hard to just say specifically what a buck is going to do in situation x, y or z. That’s why in my post I mentioned taking the opportunity to hunt or observe bucks in open terrain or go track them in the snow. It will be well worth the time invested.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:14 pm

PK_ wrote:
DaHunter wrote:

No problem.

But I need to clarify what I said there about bucks using wind, I meant in specific locations when they are looking for does or checking for danger at a destination. Overall i don’t believe bucks pay much if any attention to wind direction as far as where they are going to go and how they are going to get there. When a buck wants to cover ground he will take the shortest/easiest route with few exceptions. Mature bucks seem to place a very high priority on being efficient.

However mature bucks are certainly using the wind to their advantage in key areas. If you walk through the woods dropping milkweed constantly in some terrains you will notice you can cover a lot of ground and continuously have the milkweed going to the same area, on multiple wind directions. Those areas, ‘wind funnels’ as I call them is where a mature buck is likely to be or to travel thru. The same is true for spots where rising or falling thermals gather (search thermal hub). Bucks rely on these terrain features that funnel wind and thermals much more than they do on the actual wind direction.

A lot of guys talk about bucks cruising downwind of doe bedding, which does happen when the conditions are right. But many times I see them cutting in front of the doe bedding(search parallel trail) and ground scent checking all those doe trails. Or they will dive right thru the heart of the bedding if there isn’t a good spot to scent check it downwind or a good way to run a parallel trail. It depends on the bedding area, terrain and current conditions that will dictate which strategy works better for the buck.

But as far as where or how far the buck will scent check a bed or feed area or whatever from, it all depends on the terrain and how the wind moves thru that spot.

There is a lot to unpack here without writing a book, and it all is so situational. Also I am continuously observing and learning from year to year so I am not trying to come across as if I have it all figured out. It’s hard to just say specifically what a buck is going to do in situation x, y or z. That’s why in my post I mentioned taking the opportunity to hunt or observe bucks in open terrain or go track them in the snow. It will be well worth the time invested.

Dang, PK. You just dropped a giant sexy gold nugget of info.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:28 pm

PK_ wrote:
DaHunter wrote:

No problem.

So much good info - I appreciate it! And I understand that so much is situational to terrain, time of year, pressure, does, destination, etc. One thing is clear and its that mature bucks use those wind/thermal effects to their advantage and are deliberate in their actions. That's a huge thing that I am trying to learn more about because i think it's one of the most important pieces in determining where a buck will be and may travel in daylight. Most of us can pick out a good area, find sign, and some beds. But knowing with some certainty how a buck will travel that area, proper stand placement and not getting busted is what sets the top hunters apart from the the average or even good ones. I need to start throwing milkweed out when scouting and for sure do some snow tracking.
Dewey

Re: How often do you actually see deer travel with wind to b

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Stanley wrote:I would say that 90% of the bucks I have killed came in with the wind to their backs. It is like Dan said, that is how I set up to kill them. I also believe a lot depends on the amount of cover a buck is traveling through. If a buck is in heavy cover he often moves into the wind so that his escape route is back the way he came from. This is his safest route as he knows no danger is behind him.

When a buck heads to a food source he is coming from a safe zone into an unknown zone. He uses other deer ahead of him to alert danger and he has the wind to his back to alert him of danger. I have always set up with this mind set and has worked pretty well over the years. I also have always thought a stud/breeder buck in the rut moves through cross winds in search of a hot doe. I also think the older non breeder bucks still move with wind to their backs, in heavy cover especially. JMHO

The parallel trail offers the buck two scent opportunities; one the ground scent and one the cross wind scent. This is why I set up to use both those things to my advantage. The wind coming from the doe bedding area and the ground scent on the doe trails. Win win.

As usual best thoughts on this thread. Man I sure miss Stanley’s input and common sense way of explaining things. :cry:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:06 pm

I like what pk said. But if I had to pick one direction for a cruising buck I would chose quartering downwind and at the same time maximizing the rise or dropping thermal. This is what I see the most by older age class bucks. And I’m set up in a way to observe this wind, a quartering nose wind, or a crosswind.

Also helps if u r able to identify what the buck is doing and what the thermal is doing for him. Even the wisest old buck can’t resist a hot doe walking by. So he is gonna follow in the direction she travels usually only caring about being in cover downwind of her. Again, when a buck catches a hot doe’s track he is gonna follow and I don’t believe he will pull off and say sorry sweetheart I don’t have the right wind.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:29 am

It all depends on what the area is your hunting and what the pressure is- therefor how educated the deer are. Ive seen does AND bucks cruise every which way- quartering, tailwind, head on, leeward, windward- the list goes on. I feel they go where they need to go when they need to go.
We don't give their eyes and ears much credit. They'll pick movement or sound just as well. Granted- their nose is their most powerful sense as we know- but it doesn't mean that's what their basing their route of travel off of. I don't believe they use trails or routes that can cover all 3 of their senses all the time. I feel they have 1 or 2 on their travel, then when an alarm goes off or a potential threat- they use the 2nd and/or 3rd to confirm, then ready for their escape- or let their guard back down( flick their tail and keep going etc).
Kind of like us humans- our brain is supposed to be our most powerful tool- doesn't mean it always used to the fullest. Look at congress. lol
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Also helps if u r able to identify what the buck is doing and what the thermal is doing for him.

This right here is what I believe is the universal golden ticket in pretty much every terrain I have hunted.

If you can figure that out and then figure out how to enter and setup in his blind spot, you are in the money.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
WVArcher32

Unread postby WVArcher32 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:56 am

This can be like calculus in mountain country such as West Virginia.

I hunted a mature buck this season that drove me nuts, I observed this buck back in the summer and thought I had him figured out. I was dead wrong lol. He seemed to travel with a cross wind to the ag field he was entering in the evening, but he entered the field right before dark with the falling thermals at his back. If you hunt mountain country, you know how hard it is when the wind swirls and the thermals drop. Never did get a shot at him, but I think I learned a good bit. I found where he entered the ag field at the low point where the falling thermals land, would it be smart to set up right above this in the wooded area?
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:21 am

I'm alittle disappointed in myself for taking this long to find this topic. Man it answered alot of my questions. My main take away is that theirs not a set in stone way and never a always in how mature bucks use the wind. Each buck is different, each bed and or bedding area is different and everything really needs to be taken into consideration when choosing a stand location. My hope is that some newer beasts will find this thread by me posting this reply.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:46 am

These old threads are gold mines…. So much priceless information to read, process, and then go out and do the leg work to apply to your areas and start learning. So awesome.
savageofcedars

Unread postby savageofcedars » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:31 am

Here almost all the time, but I'm in wolf country and I think makes a difference.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:33 am

Wind to back or crosswind all the time. Never had any luck trying to beat a deers nose hunting with the wind at my back. Usually a skunk sit is the result. I’ve tried it in desperation or a Hail Mary . Lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”