WI winter severity index???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

Re: WI winter severity index???

Unread postby ihookem » Sun May 13, 2018 2:35 pm

I took a few scouting trips in Price co. the last few weeks and covered a lot of ground. I saw improved deer sign . I also saw more wolf tracks than I have in a long time. The coyote numbers seem like they are down and with the wolves they are not bold about yipping at night. I didn't find any wolf kills neither. The trail cam pics show very little snow until the end of March but it didn't stay very long. The deer numbers seem at least as good as last year , however I saw 2 deer yesterday , 5 deer by my cabin and 3 deer about 1/2 mi. away and am sure they were all different deer. I have not see it this good in quite a while. I even followed a deer trail that was used enough to actually see it.

Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon May 14, 2018 3:10 am

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 14, 2018 6:55 am

I figured many areas would be in the severe category. April is a critical time and those big storms that came really late likely took a much bigger toll than the numbers dictate. Low fat reserves and very late winters are never a good thing. Betting there will be a lot less fawns born in those areas. Seems the same areas just can’t catch a break year after year especially when you add predators into the mix.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon May 14, 2018 10:24 am

I am between Park Falls and Prentice , 17 mi. west of Phillips. Prenyice and Park Falls came in at 85 so I guess my areas was 85 WSI. One good thing I can say is it was 50 degrees the day after Thanksgiving , and the snow was only about 8-12" till April. It was almost gone by mid March till that storm screwed it up. However, late snow is bad but it was an easy winter for the most part. The low at my cabin for over the winter was -31.3 degrees. That si about average over the last 9 yrs I have kept track with my thermometer I leave up all winter. I can say there should be very little winter kill in my area. There is logging all lever the place and were logging 1/2 mi. south of my place so there was food . The older clear cuts from 8 yrs ago have small maples that are still in reach of deer but they were almost completely untouched this winter, telling me there is a lot of food and my area could easily support twice the deer numbers, which still isn't saying much. I saw deer this weekend though.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon May 14, 2018 2:06 pm

ihookem wrote:I am between Park Falls and Prentice , 17 mi. west of Phillips. Prenyice and Park Falls came in at 85 so I guess my areas was 85 WSI. One good thing I can say is it was 50 degrees the day after Thanksgiving , and the snow was only about 8-12" till April. It was almost gone by mid March till that storm screwed it up. However, late snow is bad but it was an easy winter for the most part. The low at my cabin for over the winter was -31.3 degrees. That si about average over the last 9 yrs I have kept track with my thermometer I leave up all winter. I can say there should be very little winter kill in my area. There is logging all lever the place and were logging 1/2 mi. south of my place so there was food . The older clear cuts from 8 yrs ago have small maples that are still in reach of deer but they were almost completely untouched this winter, telling me there is a lot of food and my area could easily support twice the deer numbers, which still isn't saying much. I saw deer this weekend though.

I think Park Falls was a 91. We have a Cabin and hunt in Winter, not too far from Park Falls, and it’s been a brutal winter. I think the major snow storms late in the year will impact the deer the most.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 am

Dewey wrote:I figured many areas would be in the severe category. April is a critical time and those big storms that came really late likely took a much bigger toll than the numbers dictate. Low fat reserves and very late winters are never a good thing. Betting there will be a lot less fawns born in those areas. Seems the same areas just can’t catch a break year after year especially when you add predators into the mix.

Yeah some of the areas get pounded every year regardless of how the rest of the state looks.

I'm hopeful my area will have another good year. Mild conditions, and enough logging that makes you think russia dropped the big one on us should have plenty of food for them. Is it september yet?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:47 am

My dad was up to our place in fifield (between park falls and Phillips) last week. He said he was impressed by the deer and deer sign on our 100 acres up there. Lots of turkeys too.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:06 pm

Well. you low it's slow when I am writing about snow depths at 10PM. Anyway, the west side of Price co. has about 4" of snow. With all the logging and not much for bitter cold, the wolves will have a hard time catching the deer. If we get another month with decent temps and not too many snowstorms, I might actually enjoy hunting up there again. Heck, I even saw 3 deer in 2 sits for gun hunting.
Anyone else have any reports?
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:13 am

ihookem wrote:Well. you low it's slow when I am writing about snow depths at 10PM. Anyway, the west side of Price co. has about 4" of snow. With all the logging and not much for bitter cold, the wolves will have a hard time catching the deer. If we get another month with decent temps and not too many snowstorms, I might actually enjoy hunting up there again. Heck, I even saw 3 deer in 2 sits for gun hunting.

What’s the temp supposed to do next week up there? Down here in SE WI is going to dip well below zero next week. I’d assume up there will be the same if not worse? Our cabin in Sawyer Co. only had a few inches of snow on the ground too. Not sure if you’ll get the snowstorm Monday or not.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:36 am

I MISS BUCKY :cry:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:21 am

Net Guy wrote:
ihookem wrote:Well. you low it's slow when I am writing about snow depths at 10PM. Anyway, the west side of Price co. has about 4" of snow. With all the logging and not much for bitter cold, the wolves will have a hard time catching the deer. If we get another month with decent temps and not too many snowstorms, I might actually enjoy hunting up there again. Heck, I even saw 3 deer in 2 sits for gun hunting.

What’s the temp supposed to do next week up there?Down here in SE WI is going to dip well below zero next week. I’d assume up there will be the same if not worse? Our cabin in Sawyer Co. only had a few inches of snow on the ground too. Not sure if you’ll get the snowstorm Monday or not.

I was just up there. This is a photo from the Rhinelander station and its 7 day forecast from yesterday morning. Check out the low temps... As far as snow, only about 4 inches on the ground and only a light dusting during this last storm (Tues/Wed).. Deer moving around just fine but mostly in the wintering areas.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:00 am

Unless things take a drastic turn in February/March the deer in the northwoods should be in really good shape. Been a real easy winter for them so far especially with the lack of really deep snow. This cold snap coming up is nothing for deer and don't see any issues since they have not been stressed at all so far.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:40 pm

Twenty below is no worse than where I live in S.E. Wis. It is supposed to get to -20 on Wednesday here in Allenton , Wis. It is already -14 . There is a weather station west of Allenton, Wi. It is allentonweather.com. It gives the low for the day, the month and year. Then go down and you can go back 15 yrs.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:46 am

It was -32 this morning up in Land O' Lakes. :o
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:28 am

Dewey wrote:It was -32 this morning up in Land O' Lakes. :o

Yikes! :shock:

I still can’t get over the fact that they closed some schools down in Milwaukee because of the cold yesterday. They’re getting soft. Guess that means they’ll have off all of next week. :roll:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”