WI winter severity index???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chuck B
500 Club

Re: WI winter severity index???

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:14 am

I was in NW WI this weekend. I even walked out about a mile in woods to grab a camera I had left up after season. It was the most brutal mike walk I have ever had, snow up to my crotch! But, like Dewey said, the deer looked better than I would have expected. I think as long as we don’t get dumped on again with more snow, these deer will be ok. Fingers crossed.

If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:35 am

Dewey, you mentioned the bedding by cedars is happening both now and when the snow melts. Do you find that to generally hold true?

I found a lot of bedding in cedars last week and thought it was only due to the snow and them having easy access to cedars as a food source. It was my first time scouting there, so I don't have history on it. I might spot check it again after the snow is out, but just curious what you notice in the cedars from winter to summer.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:41 am

greenhorndave wrote:Dewey, you mentioned the bedding by cedars is happening both now and when the snow melts. Do you find that to generally hold true?

I found a lot of bedding in cedars last week and thought it was only due to the snow and them having easy access to cedars as a food source. It was my first time scouting there, so I don't have history on it. I might spot check it again after the snow is out, but just curious what you notice in the cedars from winter to summer.

Very typical of yarding in the bigwoods during the winter. Lot’s of food and thermal cover there. Don’t see them there at all in the summer.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:45 am

Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Dewey, you mentioned the bedding by cedars is happening both now and when the snow melts. Do you find that to generally hold true?

Very typical yarding in the bigwoods during the winter. Lot’s of food and thermal cover there. Don’t see them there at all in the summer.

Thanks. Yeah, it's what I would suspect in the area I saw the beds. I suspect it will change a lot when there are better food sources. But these deer were eating and pooping a lot so they were probably doing ok. At least I know where I can fill a doe tag if we get a serious cold snap in late season. ;)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:00 pm

Anyone hear of the final WSI in Wisconsin ? I can't find anything at all.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:33 pm

ihookem wrote:Anyone hear of the final WSI in Wisconsin ? I can't find anything at all.

I believe they count through the end of April. And there are at least 50 different locations they record. I dont think there is an overall state number, just per location.

I have been watching the snow depths the past week or so and all seem to be going down nicely..

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabita ... siest2.pdf
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:16 am

I was back up in Price and Sawyer co. this weekend. I walked over 7 miles . I found 3 wolf kills , all were fawns. The dee numbers actually look fairly decent . There was no snow on the ground anywhere so it was not a half bad winter. The thermometer sid the low was -30.1* F. That is slightly better . The avr. for the last 13 yrs is -33*F. There is a lot of logging and the deer ate well. Anyone else been up to see ?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:57 am

I haven’t been that far north yet this year but all signs I have seen point towards it being a pretty mild WI winter for the deer. Last year was much worse especially March with the unreal amount of snow dumped on at the end of the season when the herd was at their weakest. I saw 4 feet plus in much of the woods. I’m pretty surprised more didn’t die but luckily it all melted away pretty fast last April.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:44 am

I was up in Sawyer county over the weekend as well. Did some scouting and watched some Clam Lake elk. No snow anywhere and the deer herd seems to be average from what I can tell. I wouldn't say I've seen an abundance of deer this weekend but no shortage either. They look healthy and things are starting to green up here, so that's good. Did find one wolf kill, fawn as well.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:47 am

Great elk pics Les!

You going to try and get a tag?
----------
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:19 am

greenhorndave wrote:Great elk pics Les!

You going to try and get a tag?

For sure! Been trying since they implemented it but obviously no luck yet. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon May 03, 2021 11:36 am

Took some long walks in Price and Sawyer county this month. The winter was short and snow was not bad at all. The deer look good , but still not many. I only got one wolf pic this winter , but now the area is loaded with wolf tracks. I imagine a whole pack came in , big tracks , medium and even small tracks. It should be a half way decent deer hunt up there this fall, and it is sure looking up,during gun season last fall I even saw 2 deer together , and it only took till Monday morning!! My son didn't see anything.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:09 pm

ihookem wrote:Took some long walks in Price and Sawyer county this month. The winter was short and snow was not bad at all. The deer look good , but still not many. I only got one wolf pic this winter , but now the area is loaded with wolf tracks. I imagine a whole pack came in , big tracks , medium and even small tracks. It should be a half way decent deer hunt up there this fall, and it is sure looking up,during gun season last fall I even saw 2 deer together , and it only took till Monday morning!! My son didn't see anything.

I'm sure glad it was a mild winter since we didn't have an acorn crop last year.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat May 07, 2022 2:14 pm

Just another update on the big woods . I walked 7 miles in 3 different areas . I found 3 buck rubs, 4 scrapes, 3 beds and saw 1 deer . The area is changing a lot. The deer hardly even touched the recent logging, however I am glad the state land is getting logged a little. There are so few deer that even the wolf and coyote sign was very scarce. So scarce that I saw a few beavers, and that is a sign the wolves are not around much. To my surprise I did se a lot of grouse, where they were six months ago I dont know. The wolves are changing the forest for the better. I saw cedar and Hemlock seedlings for the 1st time in 33 yrs. of scouting that whole area . It was another tough winter though. The low was -35F for the low for the winter. However, I didn't see any snow at all.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat May 07, 2022 4:38 pm

Was a pretty rough winter in northern MN, I am sure WI saw a lot of the same. Sometimes you just have to work a little harder for them on these years, spring scouting has a few of my boys still alive. Usually a surprise buck or two shows up too but I cover a lot of ground and no way to keep close tabs on everything.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”