Success from the ground

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jpsmith270

Re: Success from the ground

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:10 pm

JoeRE wrote:I started building natural ground blinds in the woods about the same time I started bow hunting when I was about 14 years old. They ended up being thick walls of sticks with small holes to shoot out of and took a lot of time to build. Since then I have become a lot more efficient at hunting from the ground and constructing natural blinds where needed.

To decide if hunting from the ground in a location makes sense, I find it helps to look at strengths and weaknesses of hunting from the ground and apply that to the spot you are looking at.

Primary benefits of a ground based setup include the following:
- Time required for setup. No matter how you look at it slipping in and sitting down on the ground is quicker than hunting from an elevated stand even if it is pre-hung, not to mention easier than packing in any stand or climbing equipment. No safety harness or pull up rope needed either.
- Noise of setup. Sitting down on the ground, on a log, or even on a decent portable seat is quieter than climbing a tree, period.
- Depending on location, hunting at ground level can actually provide better visibility and more open shooting. In many locations hunting from ground level lets you see from a deer’s elevation, beneath brushy understory which often is the thickest above 4-5 feet…meaning less (or no) trimming needed. This is very helpful in areas trimming is prohibited.
- You can hunt locations where a tree stand cannot be put. Many great spots do not have trees large enough to hang a stand in. I personally am a pretty large person and if I am up in an 8-inch tree it will sway at every little move I make…not to mention I will stick out like a Great Dane at a wiener dog convention.

Some locations where hunting from the ground doesn’t work very well include:
- Hunting down low in a valley or on a steep side hill. Hunting at low elevations often requires you to get as high as possible for consistent wind and thermal currents and sometimes allows you to keep your scent above a deer on the downwind side of you if you get high enough. Just like any stand site – you need to know exactly where your scent should go.
- Where tall grass, swamp, or nearby elevation changes requires an elevated position to see. You have to be able to see. Having deer appear already within bow range is bad news! My rule of thumb is I want to see a buck from at least 50 yards away.
- A location you plan on hunting numerous times in a season. I try to avoid this but for those that do, I think deer will notice your scent from sitting on the ground and over time bust you more often on follow up hunts.
- Do not pick a location where you will be silhouetted against the sky from where deer will be. Deer can pick up movement more easily in those circumstances.
- Large numbers of deer at close range is bad news if you are on the ground because you will be unable to twitch a muscle. Generally if you are after mature bucks this isn’t a really big deal because they are solitary critters.

When hunting from the ground you can go in and just sit down next to a log, a boulder, a blow down, a thick bush, even a couple trees close together to break up your outline, or as I like to do, “prep” a spot in the spring to leave less to chance.

I should note that I use a ghillie suit for bow hunting turkeys but not deer. I just have not found a need for a ghillie suit for deer…their eyesight is not that good if you remain still. A ghillie would let you hunt more exposed areas.

If you are building a natural blind the most important thing I can offer is don’t overdo the blind construction. I think everyone builds their first few natural blinds far too thick, and far too tightly…and take far too long to do it. When bow hunting, you need plenty of space to move and draw, and you don’t want to have to look for a hole to shoot through in your blind. This is one of the reasons I HATE hunting from popup blinds, they box you in.

Literally, my "blinds" are just a few logs leaned up against each other, with a rock or log to sit on and a tree or something to lean back against. You just don't need much. It takes me 5 MINUTES MAX to do this, less time than it takes to climb and prep a tree. You need lots of room to draw and move a bow.

Here are a couple pictures of ground set-ups I have done in the past. There are some more in the hunting journal I started this year.

I sit center of photo in those leaned-up limbs. Buck bedding area is off to the left...I can slip in undetected without alerting deer within 100 yards of me.

I sit against that big white oak center-right in the photo. Buck bedding area is off to the left...once again deer might be bedded within 100 yards of me. The hill drops off almost to a cliff behind my setup which keeps everything in front of me.

Here are a couple bucks I shot with a bow off the ground.

I should mention almost all of the deer I have shot with a gun were off the ground...I rarely find need to climb up in a tree with a gun just because gun hunting distances are further so I have much less worry of deer spotting me.

I shot this deer at 12 yards from a rough blind like those shown above. This taught me you have to be careful calling from a blind, I snort wheezed this buck in and he was coming on a string...I drew early enough so he did not see me but the shot was difficult. It could have ended differently.

I shot this buck from a clump of sumac I sat down in over a pond when it was hot and dry. The closest hunt-able tree was 60+ yards away. It worked perfect.

I shot this buck from another rough blind, just a couple logs leaned up against a tree about 100 yards from where he was bedding. Another lesson - bucks can look bigger when you are at close range at ground level with them...was some ground shrinkage from what I thought when I shot. I made a poor shot on him and didn't recover him till the next day (hence the blue jeans).

A key observation from these examples is that full concealment is not a goal for me. For whitetails, a mobile hunter only needs to avoid movement and break up their outline if they only plan on sitting in a spot once or twice in a season. A hunter also needs plenty of room inside the blind to move around easily – I like a 6’-8’ wide clear area inside so I can move my bow and arrow around quickly and easily. I have often had deer pass just a few feet away from me in blinds such as these without detecting me, and my camo of choice is just old army BDUs. A ground hunter should avoid being silhouetted on a horizon, and have just enough large objects around to avoid standing out, and of course a ground hunter cannot be a swivel head.

The example blinds took maybe 5 minutes to construct. Little to no trimming of branches was required – something almost always needed when hanging a stand. Best of all, these blinds look natural enough that almost every other hunter in the woods will walk right by them. Hunters keep an eye out for tree stands and pop up blinds but these, particularly after being left alone all summer, will be virtually undetectable.

I think I just laughed out loud. That's funny stuff. I would have to agree that a Great Dane would tend to stand out at a Weiner Dog convention.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 am

Stanley wrote:I have killed quite a few nice bucks from the ground. Never took a picture of any of the hides though. Most of my ground hunts were Beast style, in and hunt, and never go back to the same spot very often. I have never killed a buck out of a pop up blind, all natural for me.

I will always use an elevated stand as first choice. Ground blinds for me are when an elevated option is not available. I will say with out hesitation my success goes up when I go up.

Here are some of the bucks I killed off the ground with the bow. I have more but couldn't find the pictures.

Fixed some pics. If a mod could replace the links in the original post that would be great!
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 am

One of my favorite posts he made... good job Jonny
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 13, 2018 2:51 am

Jonny wrote:
Stanley wrote:I have killed quite a few nice bucks from the ground. Never took a picture of any of the hides though. Most of my ground hunts were Beast style, in and hunt, and never go back to the same spot very often. I have never killed a buck out of a pop up blind, all natural for me.

I will always use an elevated stand as first choice. Ground blinds for me are when an elevated option is not available. I will say with out hesitation my success goes up when I go up.

Here are some of the bucks I killed off the ground with the bow. I have more but couldn't find the pictures.

Fixed some pics. If a mod could replace the links in the original post that would be great!

DONE
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun May 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:

DONE

Dewey after re-reading this thread I really need to get the rest of my pics fixed. What did we decide was the best way to fix them? Should I just quote a comment and post the pics again in the order they need to appear?
Is that easier than pm’ing you like I did before?

And thanks for all your help!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun May 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:

DONE

Dewey after re-reading this thread I really need to get the rest of my pics fixed. What did we decide was the best way to fix them? Should I just quote a comment and post the pics again in the order they need to appear?

Should be able to change .org to .cc

I did that with Stanley’s pictures and it worked
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Jonny wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:

DONE

Should be able to change .org to .cc

I did that with Stanley’s pictures and it worked

That’s what I did. Fixing the Postimage pics is easy. The Photobucket stuff is much more involved unless you just view them in a different browser which I don’t do.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue May 15, 2018 5:40 pm

This is a really good thread. I've managed to take only two bucks from the ground ever but they were more of a "right place, right time" still hunt. Regardless, killing from the ground is a different ball game. Creating ambush opportunities from the ground via beast tactics is on another level. Could mean the difference of not being close enough due to lack of huntable trees or being close and getting in a tree means getting picked off.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
banzaiengr
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BanzaiEngr

Unread postby banzaiengr » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:02 am

Thanks to Lockdown for directing me to this thread. Lots of great information and ideas to use from the ground.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:11 am

Had some exciting encounters on the ground with my bow, learning experiences, haven't taken any shots though. Excluding gun hunting here, shot a lot of deer from the ground with a gun.

Set up one time in a wooded area right next to a marsh edge near the bottom of a hill 20 yards from a trail that paralleled the marsh. Evening hunt. No I didn't know anything about thermals, hill bedding or marsh bedding, or figuring out where the buck will be. Sat in a bush like a honeysuckle or something that still had some leaves on it. Thickest and tallest part of the bush behind me and some to the side and mostly open in front. Used a doe bleat. A little while later.... Crunch, crunch, crunch from above to the left. Got ready for the deer to hit the trail but the crunching got louder and louder right behind me. Crap. Turn slowly, ever so slowly and there is a young buck other side of the back of the bush. I'm frozen. He takes a couple steps into the bush and sticks his head through a hole. Now his face is 3 feet from mine and I can count his eyelashes and the different longer whiskers on his face. 30 seconds felt like a lifetime He didn't know what I was, didn't spook, just walked off back up the hill.

Lesson: don't call blindly, they can pinpoint the sound so exactly. And gosh they are beautiful creatures, especially close up!

Now I know it was a completely wrong place and time to set up on a mature buck, but cool experience nonetheless.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:02 am

i always do my calling from the ground, and have had some success. i like to make a lot of ground noise as well as rattling. a big part is making a rub noise on a sappling, and at certain times this is the ticket to pull them in. this buck had fight marks on his back, and camr in to my setup after i did some monster calling. loud and aggressive, chunking rocks and hitting trees, rattling and grunting like i was dying. i set up on a root system where a tree blew down, no cover in front of me, only behind. i shot himat 25 yards, less than 10 mins after the calling sequence.
Screenshot_20190928-095948_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:02 am

I always call blindly, making 4-5 setups per morning during the right time of year.
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:23 am

I have a torges style tree seat that I use, for the most part, and set it up on a place with back cover. I also bend, twist limbs down across my spot to make a natural ground blind. I have been known to "plant" little limbs in front and behind me to make the blind. sharpen those sticks. I carry a plumbing cutter, the ratchet thing to cut pvc pipe with, cuts little limbs real good. I am gonna use the tree saddle this year, but the ground game is still gonna be about half my hunting.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:28 am

ouachitamac wrote:i always do my calling from the ground, and have had some success. i like to make a lot of ground noise as well as rattling. a big part is making a rub noise on a sappling, and at certain times this is the ticket to pull them in. this buck had fight marks on his back, and camr in to my setup after i did some monster calling. loud and aggressive, chunking rocks and hitting trees, rattling and grunting like i was dying. i set up on a root system where a tree blew down, no cover in front of me, only behind. i shot himat 25 yards, less than 10 mins after the calling sequence. Screenshot_20190928-095948_Gallery.jpg

That's a great buck 8-)
Not all those who wander are lost...
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:21 am

Bumping this great thread back to the top- anybody else have anything to add on this topic? I'm giving ground hunting a go this fall and any new information would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”