Chapter 4 Swamp Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BBH1980

Re: Chapter 4 Swamp Bedding

Unread postby BBH1980 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:34 am

crackehelmet wrote:
dan wrote:I don't know exactly what was said in the DVD, I can't remember. When we looked at this area originally, we looked at many views thru google earth by changing image dates. The bedding depicted is indeed along transitions and points. We also looked at some of the stuff on the edge, but once out there the sign lead to these areas. I had hunted in the area and passed thru that area but not scouted it before. 1st hunt we set up based on both cyber scouting and on what we saw from the ground going in. Sign was certainly leading us to believe deer travel was coming from the area we marked up. Actually, I think the buck came from further south than anticipated. After mario killed the 7 point there, we back tracked to the bed and it was really close. We then scouted out to the beds on the tip and determined what was doe and what was buck bedding. Before that it was a guess and not a known. I probably expected a little buck bedding on the point where the doe bedding was, but in hindsight, its not set up well for wind for buck bedding on the actual point where the does bed.

Thanks Dan! Being able to anticipate doe vs buck bedding is something i'm struggling with right now. I keep finding what I'm pretty sure is doe bedding on points and in bowls on the transition from hardwood to swamp grass in the swamp i'm scouting. It sounds to me like I need to factor in the predominant winds for the area more, with the bucks going to the terrain best served by the wind and the does filling in the other points and bowls.

Also, I Iove the DVD. You've done what's advertised on the package, you've taught me how to find deer beds in a swamp! (I had no idea Deer lived in swamps :oops: )

I'm struggling with the same thing in hill and farm now. Trying to differentiate the difference between rubbed up doe bedding and buck bedding. I'm pretry new to this have the basics down pretty good but this is a bit of a hang up for me. I've only been scouting for beds since December though. Finding groups

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:01 pm

BBH1980 wrote:
crackehelmet wrote:
dan wrote:I don't know exactly what was said in the DVD, I can't remember. When we looked at this area originally, we looked at many views thru google earth by changing image dates. The bedding depicted is indeed along transitions and points. We also looked at some of the stuff on the edge, but once out there the sign lead to these areas. I had hunted in the area and passed thru that area but not scouted it before. 1st hunt we set up based on both cyber scouting and on what we saw from the ground going in. Sign was certainly leading us to believe deer travel was coming from the area we marked up. Actually, I think the buck came from further south than anticipated. After mario killed the 7 point there, we back tracked to the bed and it was really close. We then scouted out to the beds on the tip and determined what was doe and what was buck bedding. Before that it was a guess and not a known. I probably expected a little buck bedding on the point where the doe bedding was, but in hindsight, its not set up well for wind for buck bedding on the actual point where the does bed.

Thanks Dan! Being able to anticipate doe vs buck bedding is something i'm struggling with right now. I keep finding what I'm pretty sure is doe bedding on points and in bowls on the transition from hardwood to swamp grass in the swamp i'm scouting. It sounds to me like I need to factor in the predominant winds for the area more, with the bucks going to the terrain best served by the wind and the does filling in the other points and bowls.

Also, I Iove the DVD. You've done what's advertised on the package, you've taught me how to find deer beds in a swamp! (I had no idea Deer lived in swamps :oops: )

I'm struggling with the same thing in hill and farm now. Trying to differentiate the difference between rubbed up doe bedding and buck bedding. I'm pretry new to this have the basics down pretty good but this is a bit of a hang up for me. I've only been scouting for beds since December though. Finding groups

Don’t get discouraged it gets easier, just takes time and everyone gets it wrong now and then.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:13 pm

Wlog wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
crackehelmet wrote:

Don’t get discouraged it gets easier, just takes time and everyone gets it wrong now and then.

Ive heard it does. I'm not one to give up. I'll stick with it knowing it's all gonna pay off! Worse case I throw a sit at it and find out. It'll be good to learn. I've learned more I'm the last 4 months listening to Dan's and on here than I have in the past 25 years of hunting..
flgahunter114

Unread postby flgahunter114 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:53 am

This dvd as well as the marsh bucks has helped me find beds in dry and wet terrain. I mostly hunt Florida and Georgia areas. The swamps in the film are different then what I see here, but it’s the same principles that are being applied.
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:27 am

Awesome! Looks great!
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:09 pm

"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:12 am

Rampaige wrote:I got my edition of Swamp Bedding this morning watched the first hour. Now, I’m on a point that pokes into a thick, nasty maple/dogwood swamp. There was no buck at the end of the point but I bumped 2 does well before I got this far in. I’m hoping to see a slob but the wind is just so...swirly. Any wise, mature deer likely winded me and snuck out of here.

Not every bed you come across while scouting is going to result in kicking up that deer. If you found a “s” wind bed bit it’s an “e” wind that day he may be in another area. Don’t get discouraged by not seeing the actual buck in the bedding your scouting
Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Unread postby Zephyrus » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:17 am

Still waiting for my copy to arrive - you guys are lucky...

But then again, I just ordered them on the 7th :lol:

Marsh/swamp/hill/farm bedding, hill country, and lunatic fringe.

Trying to be patient, but today is opener here in WI - so at least I have something to take my mind off of things!!
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:11 pm

Tried to buy this but Canada is not an option? I purchased the Marsh Bucks DVD about 4 years ago and had it shipped to me with no issue
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Jimmy wallhanger wrote:Tried to buy this but Canada is not an option? I purchased the Marsh Bucks DVD about 4 years ago and had it shipped to me with no issue

Buy it from Stealth outdoors, they ship to Canada. www.stealthoutdoors.com
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 am

dan wrote:
Jimmy wallhanger wrote:Tried to buy this but Canada is not an option? I purchased the Marsh Bucks DVD about 4 years ago and had it shipped to me with no issue

Buy it from Stealth outdoors, they ship to Canada. http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

then im gonna buy a bunch of other stuff from Lou lol.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:57 am

are these different that the old BBO series hill country and marsh DVDs?
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:05 am

76chevy wrote:are these different that the old BBO series hill country and marsh DVDs?

Yes they are different
WIswampdweller20

Unread postby WIswampdweller20 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:10 am

Any chance this series will be available to purchase for download in digital format in the future? Or perhaps it is already and I haven’t found it?
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:15 am

really wish they would make digital download copies

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”