Affect dogs have on deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TreeRat

Affect dogs have on deer

Unread postby TreeRat » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:23 am

How bad do dog mess a place up? will the deer come back in to a bedding area if the dogs run them out? The club runs the area several times a season. Not sure this late in the year and after the dogs have ran the woods for weeks if I am just wasting my time. Thanks

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Affect dogs have on deer

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:41 am

Depends... Do the deer have ajacent propertys they can retriet to with no dog pressure? If so, I would say you might be in for a rough hunt. If there is any place they don't run the dogs like near a land border or something, that might be a spot to look.
TreeRat

Unread postby TreeRat » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:44 am

Dan,Those dogs don't know what a property Line is.This is the same area I posted the topo of. As you can see they can run anywhere they want to. I think the only place is the swamp area in the lower SSW. I don't have permission to go there.

So if the dogs run the deer off or at the most move them off the spot they where on. Do you think the deer move back in when the season ends and get comfortable with the area again. I am mostly thinking about mature bucks that I know roam the area. I guess I kinda of know the answer already because the does that use this one trail I set up on keep coming back. so I they should bring the bucks around but maybe not the big one. Still like to hear what anyone has to say.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Its hard for me to answer this cause I have no experiance dealing with dogs used for deer hunting. However, I had a great lease in Illinois once but a new neighbor to the lease let his dogs run on the property on the weekends and I was haveing a of a time seeing anything. I personally think it will scare some bucks off the property for good, and some will leave temporarily. Some might never leave and just run circles around the dogs. Bottom line is that it is certainly negitivly effecting your hunting year long. How much? Im not sure.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Domestic dogs will trash a deer property- they have no agenda or issues tracking deer for any length of time...will alarm more deer on route...and are equipped with the sniffer to stick with them and the endurance to run them down..bad news imo....an di have three dogs and love them...just dont let them roam anywhere I hunt
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:04 pm

I don,t know thw long term effects on deer .But many years ago I was hunting a riverbottom.When I heard the distant sound of dogs barking ,they got closer and closer.And I started getting up to leave thinking they wrecked the area.Then below me I see a nice 8 point running for his life he kept looking back at the dogs that were proably 100 yards behind him. I was so in shoch that I did,nt even take a shot at him standing there.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:50 am

I once had some coon hunters hunt my spot the night before the gun opener, during the rut here in IN

we killed 2 bucks the following morning in that spot.

the hunters and dogs in the area the night before had no noticeable impact on our hunt
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:52 am

i personally think dogs have LESS effects on deer than most people think...a big buck is used to dogs in the woods and they really pose no threat to a mature healthy deer
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:57 am

Treerat, its no doubt a hard and fusturating situation we face. Dogs and the hunters do not respect the land boundaries. The dogs are just doing what they are trained to do. My uncle has some land in a county were dog hunting is legal. Its only his 2nd year owning and hunting it and every time he goes he either has conflicts w/ the hunting club who is leasing nearby properties or find sign they're still trespassing. He's put a gate up to keep them out but, they just drive around it. The Warden has been called as well. He has started shooting dogs to be honest w/ you.

In the past 2 years only 2 does to my knowledge have been taken w/ 1 2.5/3.5 buck seen. All came from the swamp at the back of the property and all were at last light. Seems most are nocturnal. I don't really have too much info to help you, just sharing in your labor somewhat. I will say the deer seem to keep the dogs running in circles and in thickets. Also if they can cross water and create a boundary b/w them and the dog they darn sure try to. Your best bet may be to try to find, if your state has them, counties that do NOT allow hunting w/ dogs. However sometimes that is not an option. I'm sure w/ some experience you can use those dogs to your advantage, like using other hunters on public land. The deer, dogs and hunters are all in a pattern. When pursued deer may be a little more spuratic but I believe they already have a predetermined place they want to be. Find it and you could have whitetail gold! Keep in mind the deer will always be on alert!I would consider a 2.5 basket 8 a true trophy under those conditions! Don't get caught up in all the big deer killed on TV. Go after a trophy for your area. You have your work cut out for you but if you put in the time (years) you will be rewarded. Happy Scouting!
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:00 am

76chevy wrote:i personally think dogs have LESS effects on deer than most people think...a big buck is used to dogs in the woods and they really pose no threat to a mature healthy deer

I respect your opinion but have to disagree! There is a big difference in a pet dog and hunting dogs. Hunting dogs have one agenda. Find deer and flush them out! And they do this from sun up to sun down. It one constant deer drive.
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:18 am

i hunt a property where in one corner there is a cabin in which on a couple weekends a year they bring their dogs. everytime its a miserble hunt. i have spoken to the owner and he always says he will try to contain the dogs. i personally think he does it on purpose to get the deer out of the area when he knows we are bowhunting so he has a decent chance for gun season. there is a swamp on his side that the deer run to. on most sits where his dogs are out, i see them push deer. sometimes for over and hour. usually the deer come flying past me, then about a minute later..... here come the dogs. very frustrating. the deer still live there. they just get pushed out when the dogs are around.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:27 am

Fair enough

are you talking about deer hunting/tracking dogs?

I just just talking about coon hounds and pet dogs. A good trained coon hound won't chase deer :D :D

cwoods wrote:
76chevy wrote:i personally think dogs have LESS effects on deer than most people think...a big buck is used to dogs in the woods and they really pose no threat to a mature healthy deer

I respect your opinion but have to disagree! There is a big difference in a pet dog and hunting dogs. Hunting dogs have one agenda. Find deer and flush them out! And they do this from sun up to sun down. It one constant deer drive.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:53 am

76chevy wrote:Fair enough

are you talking about deer hunting/tracking dogs?

I just just talking about coon hounds and pet dogs. A good trained coon hound won't chase deer :D :D

cwoods wrote:

Defantley Deer Dogs! Down in the south is gun season basically all but 2 weeks of the deer season. And the dogs run every weekend!
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:53 am

Pet dogs dont seem to be much of an issue like you stated.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:55 am

OK gotcha-- we are on the same page now :D :D

hunting deer with dogs is not legal anywhere around here so I don't even think about it effecting my hunting

dogs trained to chase deer around would screw up your deer hunting FOR SURE!! :D :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”