Why do YOU avoid Wisconsin??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Why do YOU avoid Wisconsin??

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:45 pm

It is very economical for a non-resident. My Ok tag cost me $300 every year and OH & KY are both right around that. The distance is my biggest hurdle as scouting trips would be limited. Yes I know scout hunting is an option - but that is harder to pull off and I prefer foreknowledge of an area. To be truthful, I would want some familiarity with the swamps - having seen them first hand last spring - they would be a bit intimidating to go into blind and in the dark.

For me personally, one of the biggest reasons I would like to hunt WI is the scenery. I can only imagine how beautiful it is in Oct. I will say I was a bit surprised how much public land there is in WI - you guys have a ton of options.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:23 pm

john1984 wrote:People keep saying Wisconsin is easy and the best but they end up spending more money some place else

I'd like to turn the question around..... Do you really think you have it so much harder in WI? Do you think other states the deer are easier?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 pm

From what I read on the forums everyone is in the worst state and everyone has more pressure than anyone else
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:54 pm

dan wrote:From what I read on the forums everyone is in the worst state and everyone has more pressure than anyone else

Now that might be the most honest answer posted. Like I said above, I never find a mature whitetail "easy" on public land with a bow. We all THINK our perception is reality - it seldom is.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:21 am

I remember reading awhile back a group of biologists did a study to find the best whitetail area in the country. They came up with a certain area in Wisconsin. They took soil, habitat, genetics, weather etc. in consideration. They ended up buying a big parcel of land there. I think the majority going there is hunting private land
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 am

Hawthorne wrote:I remember reading awhile back a group of biologists did a study to find the best whitetail area in the country. They came up with a certain area in Wisconsin. They took soil, habitat, genetics, weather etc. in consideration. They ended up buying a big parcel of land there. I think the majority going there is hunting private land

record books, like telemetry don't lie - they are unbiased. but they may not paint the total picture either.

My point was that the original OP seemed to have an agenda with the title implying that some of us avoid WI like we are intimidated by it. I would love to hunt WI every single year - logistically it just is not feasible for me. I shoot trad and that takes a little more planning IMO so post season scouting and knowing the lay of the land is extremely important to me.

Now if someone wants to help a brother out and offer me a place to stay, show me the ropes on navigating those swamps in the dark, and help me with some scouting and with dragging my big bucks out - fantastic Ill buy my tag tonight. lol. Guys I take out of state trips every single year, it just is a different game going in blind to unfamiliar territory - I have said it before - nothing trumps home court advantage. I do not claim to be a great hunter - at all - I just am hard headed, persistent and apparently am blessed as I somehow manage to fill a few buck tags most every year. God is good to me for sure.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:47 am

Distance and vacation time.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:20 am

john1984 wrote:People keep saying Wisconsin is easy and the best but they end up spending more money some place else

I must have missed a thread about the easy hunting in Wisconsin or maybe it’s on the face pages (I’m not). Who’s saying this? I’m a little lost here...
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:22 am

I forgot to add in my last post, since this has turned into a beer thread, I’ve had spotted cow before and I’d prefer a Busch Light over it.
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:01 am

dan wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Lockdown wrote:I was going to do a long weekend in my old haunts of S.D. this year, but this thread has me contemplating doing a “Beast challenge” and heading to WI instead.

I’ll have to think about it a bit. Biggest strike against WI is S.D. is close enough I can drive for an evening hunt. Long way but do-able. And the wife will not likely be receptive to two NR tags :roll:

How much is WI NR archery? Under $200 isn’t it?

$160

I believe its $80 the 1st time you hunt here?

Your are correct Dan. I wasn’t aware of the first time buyer.

F8AFF22A-E82F-45A4-8AEA-0924AB2BE805.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:20 am

I thought NY is the epicenter of whitetail hunting. I was wondering why the WI folks don't come here. lol
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:24 am

muddy wrote:
tgreeno wrote:Don't come here...There's no deer here ;)

Iowa...Go to Iowa!

No deer here either, go to Kansas or Indiana

No bucks left on Indiana public land. I heard KY is good though ;)
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:38 am

As a non resident who has hunted Wis I think its good. By that I mean it has public lands that hold mature bucks. More so than what I'm used to where I live. Doesnt make it easy though. If you know how to get on pressured bucks and are willing to work for it you might knock down a good buck. I look forward to hunting and fishing Wis Ive had a lot of good times from waterfowl and deer to chrome kings off the pier heads in July and August.

I ate my Wis tag last year but had some good encounters with nice bucks and could of shot some smaller bucks. Those bucks know how to play the game on public so dont think its it's easy.
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:11 am

It takes guys like Dan and Joe most of a season to kill a good buck in Wisc. It does not look easy at all. I'll stay parked in Indiana.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:21 am

Just waiting on an invitation ;)

I did make the trek for a workshop, and would love to make it back to hunt one of these days.

I guess for me, based on the proximity of other, and much closer out of state options, WI gets pushed down the list.

It's not out of the question and I'd love to make it happen. If I can figure out how not to freeze to death :lol:

One of these days....
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”