The public land challenge-- Dan & Joe's plan

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: The public land challenge-- Dan & Joe's plan

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:20 am

milkweed-militia wrote:
dan wrote:Although it's fun to rant about haters ;) I would much rather focus this post on the positives about the challenge.

True dat!

Is John E. going to hunt or still be recovering? I hate that Andy can't be there the whole time. Last year's challenge was some of the best content on the Deer Tour I thought.

I'm not sure. He might just be helping and hanging with the tetherd crew? Otherwise I'm not sure why someone would go if not participating? I hope he hunts.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:43 am

dan wrote:Although it's fun to rant about haters ;) I would much rather focus this post on the positives about the challenge.

Absolutely agree!

Outside of a few here at the Beast and a few on the Beast FB page, I really haven't heard any hating or ranting? I think John gets bashed far more than any one else on the team? I am sure his straight forward opinions kind of draw some of that - but then again most all of us have straight forward opinions.

Just like Dan, John has his way of getting things done, and he has offered a ton of help and solid advice throughout the years. I don't subscribe to all of them, but he was way ahead of a lot of the current trending things like saddle hunting, rut hunting, first time sits, cover, not using scents, etc.... And I really don't get where folks say he does not have full understanding of Beast tactics or bed hunting???? The guy has talked for decades about getting in thick OVERLOOKED cover in relation to bedding and destination spots (i.e. eliminating most of the non productive areas and 100% fair chase on public or knock on door)….. sounds pretty "beasty" to me?

I truthfully don't see much difference between where he would go on a piece of property versus most beast members. I don't subscribe to the scent lock 100% forget the wind - but do I think it works for him - absolutely something he is doing is getting it done..... Consistently, in MI (as well as several other states, and 100% with a bow). If I am not mistaken he is into his late 60s early 70s? Stop and think about that for a minute.... more than half of those criticizing him probably wont be able to feed themselves at that age much less drag deer out of the woods.

I am absolutely looking forward to listening to all the participants and I assure you I will have a note pad and pen handy as I think they all will offer up some good tips/advise. I wish them all success.
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:50 am

In that podcast he spilled the beans on the location, he mentioned that he wont be hunting but can still scout for the tethrd guys. If a new location has been shared with the teams, he is probably already on it :lol:

Having his style represented is good for us viewers. Always something new to learn.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:52 am

Theres a deadly virus hitting some counties in southern mi right now from mosquitos. I know that wouldn’t stop you guys because it won’t stop me. It’s called the EEE virus. Anyone interested can google it
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:31 am

DaveT1963 wrote:

Absolutely agree!

Outside of a few here at the Beast and a few on the Beast FB page, I really haven't heard any hating or ranting? I think John gets bashed far more than any one else on the team? I am sure his straight forward opinions kind of draw some of that - but then again most all of us have straight forward opinions.

Just like Dan, John has his way of getting things done, and he has offered a ton of help and solid advice throughout the years. I don't subscribe to all of them, but he was way ahead of a lot of the current trending things like saddle hunting, rut hunting, first time sits, cover, not using scents, etc.... And I really don't get where folks say he does not have full understanding of Beast tactics or bed hunting???? The guy has talked for decades about getting in thick OVERLOOKED cover in relation to bedding and destination spots (i.e. eliminating most of the non productive areas and 100% fair chase on public or knock on door)….. sounds pretty "beasty" to me?

I truthfully don't see much difference between where he would go on a piece of property versus most beast members.
I don't subscribe to the scent lock 100% forget the wind - but do I think it works for him - absolutely something he is doing is getting it done..... Consistently, in MI (as well as several other states, and 100% with a bow). If I am not mistaken he is into his late 60s early 70s? Stop and think about that for a minute.... more than half of those criticizing him probably wont be able to feed themselves at that age much less drag deer out of the woods.

I am absolutely looking forward to listening to all the participants and I assure you I will have a note pad and pen handy as I think they all will offer up some good tips/advise. I wish them all success.

This.

Earlier in the thread somebody went so far as to say Beast Hunting is in John's head. He doesn't talk about or target bedding specifically, but his primary tactic is hunting food sources or scrapes in security cover. Don't see how that is much different than hunting an oak island or scrape close to bedding. I think John is in the heads of a lot of Beast members, tbh.

As far as the Public Land Challenge goes, I'll be routing for Dan and Joe. They certainly offer the best chance to learn tactics for the everyday guy. But of the other guys participating, John E is the guy I'd be paying attention to.
Last edited by Primetime41 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 am

Hawthorne wrote:Theres a deadly virus hitting some counties in southern mi right now from mosquitos. I know that wouldn’t stop you guys because it won’t stop me. It’s called the EEE virus. Anyone interested can google it

Heard that on the radio this morning. 3 confirmed deaths. My county is on the list. I remember it hit back about 2008 or so.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:14 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:
dan wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Dan,

Have they picked a new location so you can start cyber scouting?

Yes. Already eyeing up some stuff nearby

It would be really cool if you released a video on how you picked apart the maps cyber scouting for this challenge after the challenge hunts wrap up.

Not to ask you to do anymore work or anything lol

Second this! A recap of the pre-hunt prep work would be a great learning experience. Likewise areas eliminated from consideration.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:22 am

I'll be listening to all of them. Last year all of them provided much insight… I personally felt DIY sportsman Garrett Prahle (sp?) was far under looked in that series… he went through a lot of effort to explain exactly why and where he was hunting and to be honest the buck he had on film was the largest buck I saw of the whole event. Joe and Dan always offer good advice. As do THP.

But if I could only listen to one person this year it would without a doubt be and Andy May.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:50 am

I am just looking forward to following this. There are a lot of solid hunters, there is a good deer herd, there should be some good footage. It will definitely be interesting.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:13 pm

One thing I have noticed in the THP videos is how much they talk to a camera guy or move alot in the tree. I don't know how deer in Iowa or Nebraska or other Midwest states don't spook. If I ever tried that on Michigan public I think that buck would stop n tuck tail n runs the other way. I don't know where they will be hunting but the deer in the thumb are pretty wiley on public land. Especially those does with a few seasons. They are eyeballing those trees every where they go. I've seen mature bucks numerous times stop n just watch n listen for 20 plus minutes, not moving at all other than his ears.

The other thing is how they just drive around n see bucks in fields walking around. Where I am at you are not going to drive around public land and see deer. They would be dead. Also you can't just spot n stalk a field and there are mature bucks out chilling. Your going to see 4 or 5 treestands.

Maybe they can get away from it somehow.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:46 pm

oldrank wrote:One thing I have noticed in the THP videos is how much they talk to a camera guy or move alot in the tree. I don't know how deer in Iowa or Nebraska or other Midwest states don't spook. If I ever tried that on Michigan public I think that buck would stop n tuck tail n runs the other way. I don't know where they will be hunting but the deer in the thumb are pretty wiley on public land. Especially those does with a few seasons. They are eyeballing those trees every where they go. I've seen mature bucks numerous times stop n just watch n listen for 20 plus minutes, not moving at all other than his ears.

The other thing is how they just drive around n see bucks in fields walking around. Where I am at you are not going to drive around public land and see deer. They would be dead. Also you can't just spot n stalk a field and there are mature bucks out chilling. Your going to see 4 or 5 treestands.

Maybe they can get away from it somehow.

I agree. I think the challenge will be hunting without pre prepared and pre scouted trees. And pre scouted access thru the thick. They bust thru the jungle ,Michigan bucks get smart fast.It will be pretty thick where they need to be. They hunt from the ground, their shots will be 5yds where they need to be. For a mature buck. Those guys know buck bedding like no one. It will depend on their access without alerting the deer while hunting or scouting thru the thick. It’s a tangle in a lot of places
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:41 pm

Another thing I have found thru tons of scouting , glassing, and shining is there is about 1 trophy animal per 2000 acres on southern mi public. By trophy I mean something 120 or bigger. All it takes is one day for it all to come together. I would be impressed if they accomplished that in one week with all the challenges present. I know good hunters who have never killed a 120 here
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:31 pm

The biggest bucks I have seen in Michigan have been this year. I know of 4 bucks that are pushing 150 plus. Normally I would be lucky to find one around the whole area and it might only be a 130. Not sure why but there is a couple dandy's running around. There was a guy that shot a 176" buck a few years ago a mile from my house, but not sure where that one came from. Nobody knew about that buck until it died. I am in Midland county which is very heavily pressured. Good luck with your season.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:17 am

Mopar1169 wrote:The biggest bucks I have seen in Michigan have been this year. I know of 4 bucks that are pushing 150 plus. Normally I would be lucky to find one around the whole area and it might only be a 130. Not sure why but there is a couple dandy's running around. There was a guy that shot a 176" buck a few years ago a mile from my house, but not sure where that one came from. Nobody knew about that buck until it died. I am in Midland county which is very heavily pressured. Good luck with your season.

There are some nice ones around. In southern mi, part of a mature bucks homerange will be private land. Often there is only one spot you can kill him from the pubic.And that takes time to figure out. They might not be on the public the first week of October especially with the low acorn crop this year. The habitat is prime on the surrounding private in my experience
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:40 am

WtaFB2D wrote:
dan wrote:
cspot wrote:Should be interesting to see what happens. Also glad to hear you say that it isn't a bass fishing competition, but more about the hunters challenging themselves.

Are you guys permitted to scout at all prior to the opener like the day before? Just curious as I didn't know if you could go a day or 2 early.

No pre-scouting. other than studying maps.

Does this include asking another hunter if you can hunt a place you have scoured previously? Or where they’ve seen big bucks at?

Cant go anywhere we have previously scouted other than after we recieve the location. And cant foot scout it till we arrive for the challenge. Which I believe arrival is the last day of sept.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”