My Options for Tomorrow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

My Options for Tomorrow

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:39 am

Hey guys, would really appreciate some thoughts on my options for a spot tomorrow. I'm a TERRIBLE decision maker, and I'm having a hard time choosing which area i should target. All these spots look good to me, and I only have tomorrow evening to hunt this weekend. I've never stepped foot on this land so im going in blind. These are all hardwood points and edges going into swamps/marsh, i know there's oaks mixed in there. My plan is to pick one of these areas and scout my way in trying to find some hot sign to set up on. Tomorrow's forecast as of now is calling for S winds early afternoon, switching to SSW/SW as the afternoon goes. I'll be watching to see if it changes throughout today and check once more tomorrow before i leave. I've circled the edges that interest me in red, and in one spot i circled the private land in blue that i cannot hunt (which sucks because thats the area id really like to go). All photos are oriented with North being top of the pic, with most of my accesses being from the north. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Johnny-6-fingers

Re: My Options for Tomorrow

Unread postby Johnny-6-fingers » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:27 am

Can you post a bird's eye view of the entire property? From close up, they all look good. If you only have one shot this weekend, I'd choose the spot that is most difficult to access. Get away from as much hunting pressure as you can, scout your way in, and don't second guess yourself. Be decisive and commit. Dan always talks about how confidence is important and I couldn't agree more. If you are second guessing yourself, you will lose that confidence. You got this!
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:51 am

Is it possible to work your way from one to the next until you find one with enough sign you cant walk past? Maybe it's the one closest to the access, or maybe the furthest. Maybe more than one are good. I'm fickle, too, and the only thing that helps me with that is seeing hot sign, aka, getting an offer I can't refuse.
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:01 am

Johnny-6-fingers wrote:Can you post a bird's eye view of the entire property? From close up, they all look good. If you only have one shot this weekend, I'd choose the spot that is most difficult to access. Get away from as much hunting pressure as you can, scout your way in, and don't second guess yourself. Be decisive and commit. Dan always talks about how confidence is important and I couldn't agree more. If you are second guessing yourself, you will lose that confidence. You got this!

Thanks Johnny. Distance in was definitely in the back of my mind because i know this area does get some pressure, just not sure how much. Here's an aerial of all the spots in one pic. The entire area is even larger, i'm just trying not to give the location away the best i can. Im thinking the area circled in red to the south being that its the furthest in, but i can see all the spots being good. I'm also a rookie using beast methods so i could be totally off haha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:03 am

Trout wrote:Is it possible to work your way from one to the next until you find one with enough sign you cant walk past? Maybe it's the one closest to the access, or maybe the furthest. Maybe more than one are good. I'm fickle, too, and the only thing that helps me with that is seeing hot sign, aka, getting an offer I can't refuse.

Trout, I've also considered doing what you said here, depending on what i see as far as other hunters in the area/hot sign. Especially with the points on the east and west side of the map.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:29 am

It all looks to have bedding potential. Not sure if your expecting the bedding to be right on the transitions. If so, most of what you marked isn't going to work for the forecasted winds. Hard to see from these pics but anywhere out away from the transition with large enough bushes/trees that may hold bedding for the SWerly winds. Or any actual points that reach out into the swamp towards the NE. No matter how small.

Just remember going in blind aint easy even for the more experienced Beasts. You may just blow it all out, wherever you walk. Worry less about getting in a tree to hopefully have a successful hunt. And use this opportunity to learn as much as you can. Even if it means never setting up a kill spot. Tree stand or ground hunt. Always think big picture. :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:44 am

stash59 wrote:It all looks to have bedding potential. Not sure if your expecting the bedding to be right on the transitions. If so, most of what you marked isn't going to work for the forecasted winds. Hard to see from these pics but anywhere out away from the transition with large enough bushes/trees that may hold bedding for the SWerly winds. Or any actual points that reach out into the swamp towards the NE. No matter how small.

Just remember going in blind aint easy even for the more experienced Beasts. You may just blow it all out, wherever you walk. Worry less about getting in a tree to hopefully have a successful hunt. And use this opportunity to learn as much as you can. Even if it means never setting up a kill spot. Tree stand or ground hunt. Always think big picture. :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Its going to be a learning experience for sure! Like you said, i could blow it all out, or i could get lucky. Just going to take it all in stride and do the best i can. At the very least I'm going to get some intel for future hunts in this area.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:51 am

I dont know but thats a lot to look at and consider
But of the areas you have chosen your last picture in the series of pics is the one id chose with the predicted wind and wind shift

Id try and access from the NW and even glass as much and as far away as you can
Johnny-6-fingers

Unread postby Johnny-6-fingers » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:14 am

Based on the last photo that shows more of the property and taking into account the expected wind direction, I like this spot the best. The yellow circles are possible buck bedding spots, the blue x's are areas where I would consider setting up, and the purple would be my access. This area looks relatively remote compared to some of the other spots on the map. The bedding spots I circled would allow the bucks to lay with the wind at their back coming out of the timber and allow them to see into the marsh areas. You would be able to get to these spots to scout/hunt without the wind blowing into those beds. Look for oaks that are the closest to those beds and sneak in. Should be a fun hunt!
Johnny-6-fingers

Unread postby Johnny-6-fingers » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:15 am

Forgot to attach this picture to my last post
Johnny-6-fingers

Unread postby Johnny-6-fingers » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:26 am

This is another potential area that looks good based on the wind. In the other areas you posted, a S or SW wind wouldn't provide the bucks bedded off the transition with any tactical advantage. They are going to want to bed in spots where the wind helps protect them from hunters and predators, especially if it's pressured land. All of the areas you initially listed are good transitions that could hold bedding, but you have to think about where the bucks will be on that day based on all of the factors. Hopefully these tips help you improve your decision making in the future
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:54 am

Hunt the first good sign you see. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be.....Dan, feel free to use that in the next hunting beast song.
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:47 am

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it! I've got my work cut out for me, hopefully i do something right and get on to one.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:32 am

I think the far west edge of the broad view photo shows you can progress through multiple likely areas by accessing from the north. If you have all day to work with you could potentially scout them all (without carrying your stand), and then retrieve your gear once you find the active sign. If you don't have all day, carry your gear as you scout.

Some challenges you will face...
-can't walk where you are going to shoot... This is harder than it sounds because the closer you are to the swamp edge, the easier it will be to see his tracks. Having hunted similar circumstances I would say your best bet is to stay back on the mainland where the oaks are and look for pawing for acorns and large fresh droppings. Tracks will be tougher.

-the transition you were hoping to hunt is too thick to bow hunt... Sometimes you need to sit on the ground to have any natural shooting lanes.

-evening thermals... Make sure your setup allows your scent to flow down hill away from where you think you will get a shot.

-running out of time... That is a lot of ground to cover in one day. Maybe follow this approach on the first couple red circled areas (north most), then continue on further south on a different hunt.

-not sure which sign is "hottest"... This you can only learn from experience. My take on it is you want to see steaming fresh big droppings,or crisp tracks if you have any chance to be in the game. Big woods, early season, beast hunting can be like finding that needle in a haystack. If it isn't obviously fresh sign you really don't have much of a chance to kill a big buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”