How many members are from New Hampshire

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NHODN

How many members are from New Hampshire

Unread postby NHODN » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Trying to see how many members are from NH . Would like to chat and see how you guys apply the beast tactics. It's my first year already been finding some good places to set up but every time I find a good spot I end up getting to close and pushing the buck out of his bed or not close enough to the beds can't find that happy medium

I only work so I can hunt
Tsom
500 Club

Re: How many members are from New Hampshire

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:12 pm

Going on third year here trying beast tactics. I've been getting better at locating buck bedding in swamps and hills/ mountains. I haven't been able to get one beast style yet though. I do a lot of blind sits in new areas during archery as well as in season scouting. I like to still hunt bedding areas on rainy days during rifle season to see if bucks are using them and to try get a crack at em. Came real close on a good one couple years back. Then if we get snow I'm going to be tracking, which is how I got my buck last season. I figure what better place to pick up a track than around suspected or known buck bedding? I have a few places scouted with trees picked out from winter/ spring scouting so we'll see how those work out this year.
DTuck

Unread postby DTuck » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:52 pm

I’m from Campton, I prefer swamps but the mountains are more plentiful. Thermals up here are extremely important to take advantage of.
NHODN

Unread postby NHODN » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:03 am

DTuck wrote:I’m from Campton, I prefer swamps but the mountains are more plentiful. Thermals up here are extremely important to take advantage of.

I'm still trying to get the hang of thermals in different areas . Finding new spots weather its swamps or hill/mountain areas is pretty easy for me working for a paving company and paving a new driveway everyday we work all over the state
NHODN

Unread postby NHODN » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:08 am

Tsom wrote:Going on third year here trying beast tactics. I've been getting better at locating buck bedding in swamps and hills/ mountains. I haven't been able to get one beast style yet though. I do a lot of blind sits in new areas during archery as well as in season scouting. I like to still hunt bedding areas on rainy days during rifle season to see if bucks are using them and to try get a crack at em. Came real close on a good one couple years back. Then if we get snow I'm going to be tracking, which is how I got my buck last season. I figure what better place to pick up a track than around suspected or known buck bedding? I have a few places scouted with trees picked out from winter/ spring scouting so we'll see how those work out this year.

I do alot of scouting . And also have lots of different trees picked out finding buck beds in hill/mountain county can be pretty tough sometimes
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:11 am

I hunt Rockingham & Grafton counties.
Need to be very creative in the burbs of Rockingham & a Billy goat in Grafton :whistle:

Lower deer densities certainly play a big part. Gotta scout-scout-scout like the Dickens.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:13 am

DTuck wrote:I’m from Campton, I prefer swamps but the mountains are more plentiful. Thermals up here are extremely important to take advantage of.

I've definitely noticed the when our wind speeds are low like they normally are the thermal pull in the mountains /hills is way more important to pay attention to.
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:14 am

Cause new england deer are ninjas they speak English
They know ur coming.
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
NHODN

Unread postby NHODN » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:57 am

802bowhunter wrote:Cause new england deer are ninjas they speak English
They know ur coming.

I think you might be right and I think they learned to read posted signs too
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:52 am

Curious how many deer you NH guys been seeing in general? Did my 3rd sit for season last night. Zero for me so far.. however I did blow something out the first sit just as I stepped into the woods.
NHODN

Unread postby NHODN » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:50 am

Tsom wrote:Curious how many deer you NH guys been seeing in general? Did my 3rd sit for season last night. Zero for me so far.. however I did blow something out the first sit just as I stepped into the woods.

I've seen 4 doe and one 6 pointer that I couldn't get a shot at
Spauldo42
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steven.spaulding.42

Unread postby Spauldo42 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:26 am

My hunting buddy for years has seen 3 doe and 2 bucks this season. These are KNOWN spots however. He does not hunt beast style but grew up trapping. Headed up to hunt 9000 acre set of hills and public land in October. I don't know how trying to learn this style will change me, but I fully agree with all said thus far. Low deer density, thermals key (and not figured out yet for me anyway) and quite frankly I have no idea where they bed. In the barren cold hills it has been food and pre-rut that has provided any amount of success we've had. Every sit in Gerogia I've done so far has been right next to or with deer at ten yards. Weird to have this much action. They are smaller though. Good luck boys!
Huntoholic
Facebook: Garrickpfromthe603@yahoo.com

Unread postby Huntoholic » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:03 pm

I hunt all over Mass and NH and I’ve definitely noticed an increase in buck opportunities since applying Beast tactics and that’s with my time being extremely limited due to my job. I can’t wait to see how much the action increases when I get more time to hunt and scout.
NEbowman

Unread postby NEbowman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:17 pm

I live on the North Shore of MA, and I do hunt NH, but 95% of that hunting is done in September targeting bears.
Go Rusty

Unread postby Go Rusty » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:32 am

I hunt mainly Sullivan county, pretty rugged area. Lots of hill country and spruce thickets, small swamps at the bottom of most hills. I have struggled a little bit with the beast style but feel like I'm gaining on it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”