Deer body weight?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Deer body weight?

Unread postby tim » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:00 pm

Let’s never mind antlers for a minute and talk body weight. Does a heavy body weight usually mean an older age buck?Have you ever shot a deer and thought it seemed young and just heavy or does weight usually mean old? It seems everyone bases age on the body and says the antlers are not a good measure of age which I agree so then should I assume big body means old deer? Just wanna see how everyone feels on this. I know a lot of deer are shaped differently as well long vs short etc....

Ishi Spirit

Re: Deer body weight?

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:05 am

Answer is no. The last two years I’ve sent close to 30 sets of teeth for myself and other hunters to DeerAge.com.
The results are amazing it all comes down to genetics.
The Spirit Lives On
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:53 am

Ishi Spirit wrote:Answer is no. The last two years I’ve sent close to 30 sets of teeth for myself and other hunters to DeerAge.com.

Care to elaborate a little. Give a few examples. Do you have any history with many of these bucks to back up the ages that the dental cementum tests gave. A few years back a Beast member started a thread on the DC testing. And came up with quite a few errors. Based on proven history he had with many of the bucks. He contacted the testing facility and they admitted that in some areas of the country. There could be a 30% chance of inaccuracy.

You've got a lot bigger sample size. To work with.

Thanx!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:32 am

Body size and horn size all boil down to genetics.

It’s no different than people... your body size will likely be similar to your parents. Certain families are tall, some are fat, etc
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:54 am

stash59 wrote:
Ishi Spirit wrote:Answer is no. The last two years I’ve sent close to 30 sets of teeth for myself and other hunters to DeerAge.com.

Care to elaborate a little. Give a few examples. Do you have any history with many of these bucks to back up the ages that the dental cementum tests gave. A few years back a Beast member started a thread on the DC testing. And came up with quite a few errors. Based on proven history he had with many of the bucks. He contacted the testing facility and they admitted that in some areas of the country. There could be a 30% chance of inaccuracy.

Thanx!

No I can’t personally my point is I’ve sent in teeth for customers where the buck has B&C antlers and has a small body and the next deer has a huge body and is aged a 3 1/2 years old.
Many times body size might tell age but it not a given.
This is a very in-depth subject that gets discussed in my shop and each one has very different opinions on the subject.

I had one sample this year that was hard to believe but I can’t argue with science.
Small to medium size body and the antlers were 140 gross at best. He was aged at 11 1/2 years old.
Now the buck I shot last year was a giant bodied buck 177 gross and his form size was 8 1/4 by 25 1/2 and was aged at 6 1/2 yrs old and the landowner has no history of him.

Science is science because of repeatability can it be wrong or inaccurate .. very possible
The Spirit Lives On
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:01 am

Lockdown wrote:Body size and horn size all boil down to genetics.

It’s no different than people... your body size will likely be similar to your parents. Certain families are tall, some are fat, etc

Agreed, like someone said on here many years back, how big is a 5th grader? You can't give an answer because growing and even fully grown bodies come in all shapes and sizes. We can certainly take an educated guess but that is mostly what it is.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:12 am

My 2011 buck was 3.5 (quite confident) with a smaller rack but dressed 190 lbs.

I chased a big buck for years that my dad ended up killing. Rack wise he had shrunk considerably and I know he was either 8.5 or 9.5. He dressed 176 lbs

Couple years ago a guy brought a buck in for the big buck contest when I was weighing mine. My buck was 5.5, scored 163” and dressed 190 lbs. The other guy’s was likely not even 100” and dressed 196 lbs. Rack looked like an average two year old.
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:29 am

I’m glad humans aren’t rated like whitetails!
I might make P&Y minimum :lol:
The Spirit Lives On
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:28 am

I think body size is 90% location.
Further north u are the bigger the deer get.
I drive 6 hrs south of me and a 3-4 year old buck,looks 150-160lbs

I stay home a 3- 4 year old buck is 200+
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:48 am

I run cams all over and haven’t killed a deer without pics in a long time I’m starting to weigh feet and collect deer for of it to have tested. Should be interesting to see how testing compares to my history
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 am

Ishi Spirit wrote:
stash59 wrote:

Thanx!

No I can’t personally my point is I’ve sent in teeth for customers where the buck has B&C antlers and has a small body and the next deer has a huge body and is aged a 3 1/2 years old.
This is a very in-depth subject that gets discussed in my shop and each one has very different opinions on the subject.

I had one sample this year that was hard to believe but I can’t argue with science.
Small to medium size body and the antlers were 140 gross at best. He was aged at 11 1/2 years old.
Now the buck I shot last year was a giant bodied buck 177 gross and his form size was 8 1/4 by 25 1/2 and was aged at 6 1/2 yrs old and the landowner has no history of him.

Science is science because of repeatability can it be wrong or inaccurate .. very possible

Thanx! The other thread just shocked me, because I thought the DC analysis was fool proof!
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:45 am

I agree that genetics have a big effect on body size. I have pictures of bucks that look like 2 year olds for 4 or 5 years straight.
I don’t start to see reality big bodies in my area until they are 4 years old. Lots of them don’t make it to 4 years old especially the above average ones.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:13 am

I shot one last year that dressed 210 the DNR aged at 2.5. All they saw was the jaw and not the body or rack
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:54 am

stash59 wrote:
Ishi Spirit wrote:
stash59 wrote:

Thanx!

Thanx! The other thread just shocked me, because I thought the DC analysis was fool proof!

Do you have a link to that thread I’d love to read it?
The Spirit Lives On
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:45 pm

tim wrote:I run cams all over and haven’t killed a deer without pics in a long time I’m starting to weigh feet and collect deer for of it to have tested. Should be interesting to see how testing compares to my history

Check out this old thread.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41914

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”