Ghillies and blaze orange requirements

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RiverBottoms
500 Club

Ghillies and blaze orange requirements

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:39 am

Does anybody hunt from the ground in a ghillie during a firearm season? If so, how do you meet your blaze orange reg req., without losing the benefit of the ghillie outline break up? I have access to low pressure ground and I am considering a ground and pound gun hunt due to the habitat/terrain (thick marsh grass and briars). Safety is a priority, and I would not consider doing this on high pressure ground at all. If push came to shove and I couldn't make this work, I would ditch the ghillie and just take my chances getting picked off by any incoming deer.

My current set up, subject to your thoughts
Killsuit Sapper
orange bird hunting vest over top of the killsuit
Orange hat tucked under the hood
5 gallon bucket with a swivel top seat

Thanks for your thoughts

The Mediocre Hunter

Re: Ghillies and blaze orange requirements

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:50 am

RiverBottoms wrote:Does anybody hunt from the ground in a ghillie during a firearm season? If so, how do you meet your blaze orange reg req., without losing the benefit of the ghillie outline break up? I have access to low pressure ground and I am considering a ground and pound gun hunt due to the habitat/terrain (thick marsh grass and briars). Safety is a priority, and I would not consider doing this on high pressure ground at all. If push came to shove and I couldn't make this work, I would ditch the ghillie and just take my chances getting picked off by any incoming deer.

My current set up, subject to your thoughts
Killsuit Sapper
orange bird hunting vest over top of the killsuit
Orange hat tucked under the hood
5 gallon bucket with a swivel top seat

Thanks for your thoughts

I stitched some random pieces of camo to my orange vest where they're just stitched in the center and can move around somewhat loosely(for the ghillie look) it was amaturely done but I feel like it works. As long as I keep 400sq inches of visable orange I'm legal in my state.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:05 am

When I ground hunt during firearms season I always bring an extra orange vest and hat that I attach to brush or tree at a higher level usually head level. When you are hunkered down in thick brush no one has a clue where you are, which is not good in a heavy pressured area. Getting some orange up higher out of the brush really increases the visibility.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:23 am

I've been debating changing the straps on my sticks to bright orange for gun season. 3 or 4 bright bands might make someone actually look up.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:31 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:When I ground hunt during firearms season I always bring an extra orange vest and hat that I attach to brush or tree at a higher level usually head level. When you are hunkered down in thick brush no one has a clue where you are, which is not good in a heavy pressured area. Getting some orange up higher out of the brush really increases the visibility.

X2. I also carry one to go on my pack so that I'm visible from behind. I'd rather miss an opportunity than the rest of my life because some guy mistook movement for a deer.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:33 am

treeroot wrote:I've been debating changing the straps on my sticks to bright orange for gun season. 3 or 4 bright bands might make someone actually look up.

As long as they don't use their scope to look up. Let us know if the orange bands work out.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:22 am

To the OP, will you be gun hunting or bow hunting? If gun, I would worry about breaking myself up much less than with a bow due to additional range and ability to limit improvment when drawing etc. If with a bow, I'd be very worried sitting on the ground during a firearm season in a ghillie suit, even on low pressure or private land. Just never know.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:36 am

Even on my own property I will wear orange during gun season. Cannot take the chance of somebody taking a pot shot from somewhere. I sometimes take it off when I get up in the tree, but no, never on a ground hunt during gun without orange.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:11 am

Kraftd wrote:To the OP, will you be gun hunting or bow hunting? If gun, I would worry about breaking myself up much less than with a bow due to additional range and ability to limit improvment when drawing etc. If with a bow, I'd be very worried sitting on the ground during a firearm season in a ghillie suit, even on low pressure or private land. Just never know.

Muzzleloader hunt.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:25 am

RiverBottoms wrote:
Kraftd wrote:To the OP, will you be gun hunting or bow hunting? If gun, I would worry about breaking myself up much less than with a bow due to additional range and ability to limit improvment when drawing etc. If with a bow, I'd be very worried sitting on the ground during a firearm season in a ghillie suit, even on low pressure or private land. Just never know.

Muzzleloader hunt.

I'd personally be in blaze and leave the ghillie at home with my gun trained on the suspected location of arrival.

I even get nervous wearing natural colored pants in the woods during gun season on public.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:12 am

I am normally a Ghillie guy, but it stays in the truck during rifle. I look like a pumpkin if I venture out.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:35 am

DhD wrote:I am normally a Ghillie guy, but it stays in the truck during rifle. I look like a pumpkin if I venture out.

Do you have that orange camo or just alot of orange?
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:07 pm

I mostly just scout during rifle, the few times I go out Im wearing an orange stocking cap and safety vest at least.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:24 pm

DhD wrote:I mostly just scout during rifle, the few times I go out Im wearing an orange stocking cap and safety vest at least.

Ok. I had seen some orange camo by realtree I think. Didn't know if that was something you had tried.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:28 am

Saw the title and had a thought, "They should make a blaze orange ghillie suit", then imagined us beast hunters running around the woods looking like a giant muppet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”