wind based bedding...when there is no wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fenderbender62

wind based bedding...when there is no wind

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:20 pm

So how do deer, especially bucks, bed based on the wind when during pre-dawn conditions there is no wind?

what one man can do another can do
brancher147
500 Club

Re: wind based bedding...when there is no wind

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:39 pm

What terrain? They may bed based on cover more than wind. Or they use thermals. Or they just bed wherever they want close to secure bedding and make a slight move once the day winds pick up. This last one is why I like hunting mornings if you can catch a buck making a move mid morning when the wind picks up.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:04 am

When a buck beds he usually has more than one of his senses working for him. Example... Bedding with cover to his back and a sight advantage in front. Also there aren’t too many times when there’s not wind currents. Thermals, flowing water, believe it or not...road traffic. If there’s an advantage to be had, deer will use it
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:10 am

fenderbender62 wrote:So how do deer, especially bucks, bed based on the wind when during pre-dawn conditions there is no wind?

They don’t. This took a while for me to figure out. Find where the Falling thermals dump and the daytime winds swirl. Figure out how to hunt that spot and be ready to drag.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:04 am

Watch the thermals. With no wind, theyll pull uphill in the morning and downhill in the evening. I find they bed in heavy cover too for the sound advantage. Very tough to hunt- best to find an exit trail and set up.
fenderbender62

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Sorry if I was too vague.

Its pretty flat land but lots of drainages throughout the woods that are 30-60 ft of elevation change. I know they'll always defer to thick cover. I'm finding alot of beds along the ridges and point of these drainages, there mostly covered in laurel which is awesome cover.

I'm close to the East coast so we often have little to no wind at night thru right at sunrise, then the wind picks up mid morning. I was just curious how the deer choose which drainage edge or point on the drainages to bed for the day if there's no obvious wind advantage pre-dawn.

Thanks
what one man can do another can do

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”