Live from the field 2021-2022

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stingray713
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2021-2022

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:42 am

Had a close call with a decent 8 pointer. He zigged when I needed him to zag. Happy with the season though, time to catch up on some sleep. Ha!

Strategically Inefficient
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:15 pm

Skinned the belly of a nice one tonight. Just spent 6 hours grid searching just to be sure. I hate these situations.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:18 am

Bucks feeling frisky.

spypoint_968018068363175.jpg

spypoint_971990737680097.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:11 am

Bought to head out for the evening. Have atleast 2 for sure shooter bucks using this field every night but mostly been after dark. About a 15 or 20 degree temp drop from yesterday currently sitting at like 7 degrees here at home. Hopefully that pushes them out earlier. Either way should be a good sit. Good luck to everyone and stay warm
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:36 am

Good luck to whoever is out there after it!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:37 am

Good luck jmitch
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:43 pm

Ended up seeing both my target bucks tonight. Made a bad call and picked a skinny bean pole of a tree cuz it was in the right spot and allowed me to cover 2 entrances to the field. Seen 3 does and 2 bucks enter the field on the opposite end around 330 or so. One was a scrubby 2 yr old and the other was a pretty young 8 pointer in the 120ish range. About 415 see a deer up on the ridge coming out of the bedding I'm setup for and I'd it as the smaller of the 2 target bucks I know of. Hes a heavy racked short tined 6x5 with a split brow tine. He gets behind some brush and I stand up and grab the bow. Hes still 100 yards off but uphill from me in a pretty open woods. Eventually I can see he is following a doe fawn. They mill around 50 yards away straight up hill for a while then the fawn decided it was time to go and just busted down the hill thru my lane and into the field. The buck stands there a minute or two then follows suit in a trot right towards my lane. Hes closing fast but I'm in a good position for where I want to shoot him. The opening is 12 yards 1/4 away but he needs to get by me first. Hes moving fast so I figured I was safe and tried to clip on my release with him still bearing down on my in a medium trot. I move my right hand less then 2 inches super slowly but at 15 yards hard 1/4 to he locks up and stares at me. Turns the other way and runs off like hes shot out of a cannon. Game over. I wait a few minutes then decide that although it's a few minutes early there isnt anything in the field and I decided to sneak out without bumping anything else. I take down my stand and sticks get everything packed up and take one more look over the field. I can seen 90% of the field with one blind spot where I'm at. That spot is the closet to my access and farthest from bedding then the rest of the field. Didnt even think twice about it. Take 2 steps and a doe takes off from where I can't see. Followed shorty by a spike then a doe then a fawn then a small buck then another small buck then another doe and then by the bigger of the 2 target bucks. I can tell he doesn't know what's going on. He even stopped twice in the middle of the field then again before he left it and just looked around then walked into the woods. Waited a few minutes then snuck as quietly as I could out.

All in all a great night with a ton of deer spotted and a legit shot opportunity. Woulda been nice to kill the buck but I'm honestly not that worried about it. Kinda figured I was playing with house money at this point. Few things to learn from as I am pretty new at late season hunting. At this point not sure if I'll make it out again or not. Have one more weekend but I did bump both of the target bucks I was excited about and kinda doubt I get another shot this year. If it is the last time it was a fun end anyway
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:22 pm

Jmitch wrote:Ended up seeing both my target bucks tonight. Made a bad call and picked a skinny bean pole of a tree cuz it was in the right spot and allowed me to cover 2 entrances to the field. Seen 3 does and 2 bucks enter the field on the opposite end around 330 or so. One was a scrubby 2 yr old and the other was a pretty young 8 pointer in the 120ish range. About 415 see a deer up on the ridge coming out of the bedding I'm setup for and I'd it as the smaller of the 2 target bucks I know of. Hes a heavy racked short tined 6x5 with a split brow tine. He gets behind some brush and I stand up and grab the bow. Hes still 100 yards off but uphill from me in a pretty open woods. Eventually I can see he is following a doe fawn. They mill around 50 yards away straight up hill for a while then the fawn decided it was time to go and just busted down the hill thru my lane and into the field. The buck stands there a minute or two then follows suit in a trot right towards my lane. Hes closing fast but I'm in a good position for where I want to shoot him. The opening is 12 yards 1/4 away but he needs to get by me first. Hes moving fast so I figured I was safe and tried to clip on my release with him still bearing down on my in a medium trot. I move my right hand less then 2 inches super slowly but at 15 yards hard 1/4 to he locks up and stares at me. Turns the other way and runs off like hes shot out of a cannon. Game over. I wait a few minutes then decide that although it's a few minutes early there isnt anything in the field and I decided to sneak out without bumping anything else. I take down my stand and sticks get everything packed up and take one more look over the field. I can seen 90% of the field with one blind spot where I'm at. That spot is the closet to my access and farthest from bedding then the rest of the field. Didnt even think twice about it. Take 2 steps and a doe takes off from where I can't see. Followed shorty by a spike then a doe then a fawn then a small buck then another small buck then another doe and then by the bigger of the 2 target bucks. I can tell he doesn't know what's going on. He even stopped twice in the middle of the field then again before he left it and just looked around then walked into the woods. Waited a few minutes then snuck as quietly as I could out.

All in all a great night with a ton of deer spotted and a legit shot opportunity. Woulda been nice to kill the buck but I'm honestly not that worried about it. Kinda figured I was playing with house money at this point. Few things to learn from as I am pretty new at late season hunting. At this point not sure if I'll make it out again or not. Have one more weekend but I did bump both of the target bucks I was excited about and kinda doubt I get another shot this year. If it is the last time it was a fun end anyway

Sounds like a fun hunt!

I got out and did a bunch of scouting and got within 20 yards of 3 fawns. That's about it, nothing got me excited enough to set up.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:13 am

Didn't get to do an update on last night's hunt cause had truck issues in the way home, so be using the work car if I can't get that figured out by the weekend. Sat a piece of private ground iv hunted since 05. Got a acre of standing soybeans in the crp the farmer put in for me since the state gives him the seed for free for food plots. Access from the neighboring farmers place this time of year so my chances of blowing blowing timber I can hunt are a lot less. Sneaking in I noticed 4 young ones bedded on the property I was accessing through of course. Tried sneaking past them but one picked me off and they took off. Nothing seen from the stand. Should be better at that spot this coming weekend when more start hitting it since we just got the 1st snow and brutal cold of the winter. Got 2 weekends left to fill my 2nd buck tag with a shooter.
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:38 am

Hurt my shoulder so I decided to play it safe and not go out last night. Target buck was on camera 20 minutes before close. He has t done that in two months. :doh:
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
Usi05

Unread postby Usi05 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:42 pm

Have been done hunting and processing my meat. Made some killer brats and burger.

Cameras catching some of the bucks I had come threw in early season moving back in.

No idea where this guy went in early October but he made it. Will have to back track him this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:41 pm

I was out last night still trying to fill another doe tag. I had 7 come in but got a gust of wind which caused the wind to swirl and they spooked immediately.

Heading back out this morning. It’s 8 degrees with a little wind bringing it down to 0. Hopefully I can catch a doe heading back to bed.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:57 pm

In for the morning sit on a public bluff. Was hoping to be up a treeby 530 but didn't make as good of time as thought. Set up near some thermal cover that iv noticed thru scouting they use a lot in the winter. Not near the sign I'd hoped there'd be, but didn't have time to walk till I found great sign. We shall see
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:05 am

In for the evening. Same public bluff. Watched 2 this morning go into the thermal cover farther down from me. So setup up in a spot I saw them take to get there. Hopefully there far enough in the cedars I got in clean. I shall find out it was 2 does. One bigger then the other so I'll take that one if I get the opportunity to.
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:09 am

Good luck, Upwind.

In a familiar public hidey hole. Standards are very low. 1.5 year old is about all that will get a pass tonight.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”