2021 scouting reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

austin1990
500 Club

Re: 2021 scouting reports

Unread postby austin1990 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:35 pm

The daylight pics are from a wild plum, there has been a ton of deer using it over the last week, mostly does, but 1 young buck. Since its earn a buck it'd be awesome if that plum tree would hold out til season, but I know it won't. Oh well I know that the area holds good doe numbers. The 2 bucks are about a mile apart and just a bit after dark and I know where both bedding cores are in those areas, I just got to get a doe first and then slide in on them.
a8c7ef37-bfcf-40c9-98f0-13bd1727e246.jpg
8f57a3b0-8a2e-471c-a385-e38c92c2c375.jpg
c4d8a256-4fd8-4554-8765-2a3de778ce50.jpg
19521854-9744-4cde-8b96-dbccda78aee4.jpg
7bd98cf2-e41d-4d12-afb9-75c8d7aa5d47.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:43 pm

Good looking bucks, Austin!

I was hoping to get out this weekend but didn’t make it. Spent some quality time with the kiddos on the water though. Did some jet skiing yesterday and caught a few sunnies tonight.

Will have to head out after work this week. I’m jonesing to see if I can lay eyes on the drop tine.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:31 am

Lockdown wrote:Good looking bucks, Austin!

I was hoping to get out this weekend but didn’t make it. Spent some quality time with the kiddos on the water though. Did some jet skiing yesterday and caught a few sunnies tonight.

Will have to head out after work this week. I’m jonesing to see if I can lay eyes on the drop tine.

Spending time with the family is always worth it.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:08 pm

Been busy but squeezed in an observation tonight. Used two screw in steps, 5 Beast sticks and one LW stick. I could see real good :mrgreen:

Best part is it’s in the farmers yard so there’s ZERO chance of getting busted and zero scent left behind.

Anyway, it’s a sweet spot but needs to be trimmed. Leaves made it a pain. Overall it was a super slow night. I couldn’t believe I only saw two deer. First was a 1.5 yr old doe that walked the public/private line. Then right at prime time I caught a nice buck moving out in the open. Due to all the leaves I didn’t see him right away, but I’m pretty sure I know where he came from.

He was in a hurry and I didn’t get a good look at him. It’s not impossible it was the drop tine but I don’t think it was. Regardless, he’s big enough that he has my attention. I just had to see him closer so right at dark I got down and cruised past the alfalfa but he wasn’t there :think:

I will be back with my pole saw and I will be ready for him next time.

I shined my way home (the long way) and went through an area I hadn’t been through this year. Deer numbers looked good! Even saw two stud two year old bucks that were hard horned :dance:

One was a nice framed but super spindly 10, the other was a nice wide 8. Both were in that 115” range. Maybe tad more. Nice bucks for sure.

Hopefully I will make it out again this weekend.
lunger

Unread postby lunger » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:29 am

Hi guys. Love all the pictures of those bucks. I was hoping to get your input on a few items. I’ve been able to get a few nice size bucks on trail camera recently. Every year (I’ve been hunting for 4 years all bow only) I’ll get pictures on trail camera during summer of a buck that’s nice and come October the buck has disappeared. What do you do to stick with/ keep tabs on a buck as it transitions from its summer to fall pattern? What are the driving forces (is it just change in food sources and pre-rut behavior) that dictate where that buck is going to be residing during its fall pattern? I’d also like to know your thoughts on buck bedding. I frequently find bedding areas but truly can’t distinguish if it’s a mature buck’s bed or doe bedding. I’m able to pick out bedding areas on a map, and find the bedding, from lessons I’ve learned from Dan Infalt DVDs, but I’m not necessarily confident that I’m actually looking at a bucks bed. What are you looking for to know you’re looking at buck bedding? I’m just trying to further close the gap between me and a mature buck. Would love to know what you guys think. Thanks!
Kickapoo

Unread postby Kickapoo » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:54 am

Nice bucks Wihunter95 and muddy!
Was out last night glassing and spotted my no.2 shooter on on s.e wi public with lots of daylight left(150’s 5x5 or so). He has been been exiting his bed at the exact same spot when I’ve seen him the first time. He does have about 8 security guard does surrounding him in all directions so will be very difficult not getting busted by them. Got winded last night by a doe that came from an unexpected direction and sent all the deer back to cover. But my no.1, a 12 point main frame 5x5 with matching split 2’s is sticking around(he’s on a different public piece than the 150’s 5x5), probably at least 170’s and I’m getting his whereabouts zeroed in better now. Good luck to all. Two weeks until WI opener
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:09 am

Found one last minute!!

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:20 am

lunger wrote:Hi guys. Love all the pictures of those bucks. I was hoping to get your input on a few items. I’ve been able to get a few nice size bucks on trail camera recently. Every year (I’ve been hunting for 4 years all bow only) I’ll get pictures on trail camera during summer of a buck that’s nice and come October the buck has disappeared. What do you do to stick with/ keep tabs on a buck as it transitions from its summer to fall pattern? What are the driving forces (is it just change in food sources and pre-rut behavior) that dictate where that buck is going to be residing during its fall pattern? I’d also like to know your thoughts on buck bedding. I frequently find bedding areas but truly can’t distinguish if it’s a mature buck’s bed or doe bedding. I’m able to pick out bedding areas on a map, and find the bedding, from lessons I’ve learned from Dan Infalt DVDs, but I’m not necessarily confident that I’m actually looking at a bucks bed. What are you looking for to know you’re looking at buck bedding? I’m just trying to further close the gap between me and a mature buck. Would love to know what you guys think. Thanks!

Private or Public?

I have permission on a property where the younger bucks seem to stay and the mature ones leave. It is a struggle we all deal with so I hunt elsewhere.

Fall patterns will vary greatly deer to deer and property to property. Some bucks will stay put after summer is over and many consistently leave. Its just the game.

A lot depends on your season starts date and how much land you have to hunt to find him again. Some deer can travel a long ways away and some just move 500 yards. Terrain also matters bc in hills/timber they may not have to move very far. In open country or farm land they may go a few miles bc there just isnt enough cover.

You need to figure out when mature bucks are on the property. Scout every inch of it and let cams soak for the year on good rut spots or outside buck bedding areas. They can re visit around the same time every year. When one survives the season and returns for the summer - you will already know what to do.

If youre getting velvet pics of bucks and your start date is Oct 1 then it makes it tough to bank on anything. If my start date wasnt Sept 15 then I wouldnt expect anything out of velvet pics besides seeing what MIGHT be around later. I basically have the first 7-10 days to capitalize on a summer buck (if im lucky). I would wait for hard horned to figure the deer out. I tend to see the mature ones shed velvet first so they shift first. Also I would hunt elsewhere until that specific property has the bucks on it

As far as beds go - if there are no rubs or tracks around it then always got by the size of the bed. The general consensus is 35"+ long. I like to see 38"-40"+. A large mature buck will always be bigger body vs the rest of the heard. Your guys should probably bu out a little too lol. If I cant find any sign around the bed then I look in the creek bottoms below or transition lines on either side of the bed to find a track. Maybe even have to check field edges or crops and back track then.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:09 am

<DK> wrote:Found one last minute!!

Oh man, those rubs and beds look like the goods! Nice finds
lunger

Unread postby lunger » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:22 pm

<DK> wrote:
lunger wrote:Hi guys. Love all the pictures of those bucks. I was hoping to get your input on a few items. I’ve been able to get a few nice size bucks on trail camera recently. Every year (I’ve been hunting for 4 years all bow only) I’ll get pictures on trail camera during summer of a buck that’s nice and come October the buck has disappeared. What do you do to stick with/ keep tabs on a buck as it transitions from its summer to fall pattern? What are the driving forces (is it just change in food sources and pre-rut behavior) that dictate where that buck is going to be residing during its fall pattern? I’d also like to know your thoughts on buck bedding. I frequently find bedding areas but truly can’t distinguish if it’s a mature buck’s bed or doe bedding. I’m able to pick out bedding areas on a map, and find the bedding, from lessons I’ve learned from Dan Infalt DVDs, but I’m not necessarily confident that I’m actually looking at a bucks bed. What are you looking for to know you’re looking at buck bedding? I’m just trying to further close the gap between me and a mature buck. Would love to know what you guys think. Thanks!

Private or Public?

I have permission on a property where the younger bucks seem to stay and the mature ones leave. It is a struggle we all deal with so I hunt elsewhere.

Fall patterns will vary greatly deer to deer and property to property. Some bucks will stay put after summer is over and many consistently leave. Its just the game.

A lot depends on your season starts date and how much land you have to hunt to find him again. Some deer can travel a long ways away and some just move 500 yards. Terrain also matters bc in hills/timber they may not have to move very far. In open country or farm land they may go a few miles bc there just isnt enough cover.

You need to figure out when mature bucks are on the property. Scout every inch of it and let cams soak for the year on good rut spots or outside buck bedding areas. They can re visit around the same time every year. When one survives the season and returns for the summer - you will already know what to do.

If youre getting velvet pics of bucks and your start date is Oct 1 then it makes it tough to bank on anything. If my start date wasnt Sept 15 then I wouldnt expect anything out of velvet pics besides seeing what MIGHT be around later. I basically have the first 7-10 days to capitalize on a summer buck (if im lucky). I would wait for hard horned to figure the deer out. I tend to see the mature ones shed velvet first so they shift first. Also I would hunt elsewhere until that specific property has the bucks on it

As far as beds go - if there are no rubs or tracks around it then always got by the size of the bed. The general consensus is 35"+ long. I like to see 38"-40"+. A large mature buck will always be bigger body vs the rest of the heard. Your guys should probably bu out a little too lol. If I cant find any sign around the bed then I look in the creek bottoms below or transition lines on either side of the bed to find a track. Maybe even have to check field edges or crops and back track then.

I hunt public land in Massachusetts. Swamp, small wood lots, suburban hunting. Thanks a lot for your thoughtful response. It was super helpful. Thanks!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:13 am

Lockdown wrote:
<DK> wrote:Found one last minute!!

Oh man, those rubs and beds look like the goods! Nice finds

Thanks, well see! I only get this place for 10 days and I have my bar lowered to take any buck I can get a shot at. Tough place for sure but people are pulling 7-8 bucks out of here in Sept and it aint me! Lol
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:50 am

Made 2 more scouting trips over the weekend, lots more good things! Checked on a big post rub I've known about for 2 years and Its already being rubbed, and I jumped 3 bedded bucks about 40 yards from it, managed to snap a pic of 2 of them. Theres always been a buck bedded close to it. Good trails and transitions found on another piece of public and a good acorn crop
20210904_102634.jpg
20210904_104926.jpg
20210906_092707.jpg
20210906_095149.jpg
Screenshot_20210906-101514_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:04 am

austin1990 wrote:Made 2 more scouting trips over the weekend, lots more good things! Checked on a big post rub I've known about for 2 years and Its already being rubbed, and I jumped 3 bedded bucks about 40 yards from it, managed to snap a pic of 2 of them. Theres always been a buck bedded close to it. Good trails and transitions found on another piece of public and a good acorn crop20210904_102634.jpg20210904_104926.jpg20210906_092707.jpg20210906_095149.jpgScreenshot_20210906-101514_Gallery.jpg

Is that a sassafras tree? I have a huge signpost rub in one of my areas they hit every year in September that’s a big sassafras. Checked it a couple days ago and it’s already hit
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:26 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
austin1990 wrote:Made 2 more scouting trips over the weekend, lots more good things! Checked on a big post rub I've known about for 2 years and Its already being rubbed, and I jumped 3 bedded bucks about 40 yards from it, managed to snap a pic of 2 of them. Theres always been a buck bedded close to it. Good trails and transitions found on another piece of public and a good acorn crop20210904_102634.jpg20210904_104926.jpg20210906_092707.jpg20210906_095149.jpgScreenshot_20210906-101514_Gallery.jpg

Is that a sassafras tree? I have a huge signpost rub in one of my areas they hit every year in September that’s a big sassafras. Checked it a couple days ago and it’s already hit

Ya know I've never thought to look at the leaves to see what it was lol but the bark does look similar to sassafras, next time I'm in that area I'll have to look.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:10 pm

Not rewriting the book here evidently. This one quit getting used for the long haul back here I bet.
IMG_20210919_134319878.jpg
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”