2021 scouting reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kickapoo

Re: 2021 scouting reports

Unread postby Kickapoo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:01 am

Been focusing on two different public pieces in S.E. WI this summer and located several good ones on camera and out evening driving/walking. One in particular has all my attention. May be the largest I’ve ever seen in person. While scouting, I accidentally got too close to where he was bedded down without expecting him to be in the vicinity and he must have caught my wind and stood up. I see this enormous rack and of course I freeze standing up and just stare at him. He eventually turned his head and saw me and tore out of there with another good one. I am just kicking myself for not ducking down and sneaking out of there. Hope I didn’t mess that spot up.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:13 am

Took a quick cruise at dark last night. 7 deer in roughly 25 miles. We’re to the point where they’re hitting the corn pretty good, which keeps them from view.

3 of the 7 were feeding in a short corn field. One small buck. Could just catch glimpses of them through the spotter.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:31 pm

I've been doing quite a bit of scouting, but not much posting. It looks like I'll have a few decent bucks to hunt in Pennsylvania this year. I've been doing quite a bit of glassing up there and have found a few.
Not sure what I have in WV yet. I have quite a few cameras out, but haven't started glassing here yet. For whatever reason, I feel as though I don't spend as much time scouting in my home state because I know I have plenty of time since I can pretty much hunt every evening. I have found that since I have plenty of time, in season scouting has led to the majority of my success here.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:45 am

Went and pulled a couple cameras and hung a few others and scouted some new ground. Lots of good things found and some more pieces to the puzzle were found. Several good creek crossings, and staging areas and did find one buck bed not far from these rubs and numped him out of it. Didnt get a good look at him. Doesnt matter, this area is earn a buck so I'm mainly focusing on the doe groups right now. Did find some wild plums the deer were hitting and one little garter snake.
20210820_093712.jpg
20210820_110126.jpg
20210820_104751.jpg
20210820_085322.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:51 pm

The cell cams I hung friday are getting good activity so far, the daylight photo is from a creek crossing where I found the wild plums, deer been picking them up. The other was a creek crossing coming from a big bedding area, pic was 6 minutes after shooting hours ended, think its gonna be an even better spot once acorn drop and rut cruising starts happening.
96ca225e-0661-445a-b6bb-11b4b1f3f85c.jpg
8f57a3b0-8a2e-471c-a385-e38c92c2c375.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:02 pm

[quote="austin1990"]Went and pulled a couple cameras and hung a few others and scouted some new ground. Lots of good things found and some more pieces to the puzzle were found. Several good creek crossings, and staging areas and did find one buck bed not far from these rubs and numped him out of it. Didnt get a good look at him. Doesnt matter, this area is earn a buck so I'm mainly focusing on the doe groups right now. Did find some wild plums the deer were hitting and one little garter snake.

EAB? Is this the 1st year you have been in EAB? We had that here and it was pretty much hated by a lot of people, I personally didnt mind it, I just wished they had went about it differently.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:38 pm

Pudster wrote:
austin1990 wrote:Went and pulled a couple cameras and hung a few others and scouted some new ground. Lots of good things found and some more pieces to the puzzle were found. Several good creek crossings, and staging areas and did find one buck bed not far from these rubs and numped him out of it. Didnt get a good look at him. Doesnt matter, this area is earn a buck so I'm mainly focusing on the doe groups right now. Did find some wild plums the deer were hitting and one little garter snake.

EAB? Is this the 1st year you have been in EAB? We had that here and it was pretty much hated by a lot of people, I personally didnt mind it, I just wished they had went about it differently.

Very few areas in the state are EAB, so I've never had to do it before. But this is a trophy area with great genetics and big deer and if it wasnt EAB it woildnt be. It's not a very big piece, they only draw 40 archery permits a year and the buck quota is 6. Most years only 12-15 doe get harvested. It's a pretty low deer density area anyways, and I know several people that have had good bucks in bow range there and had to pass since they hadnt killed a doe yet. I think a lot of that is on them though, they still scout and hunt buck sign and just hope they can shoot a doe as it comes by.... the deer density ain't high enough there to do that with much luck imo, so I'm focusing only on doe's for now and trying to ignore the rest.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:38 am

Scouted a piece that’s close to home where a monster lived a few years back. I found a cam on the public and one just a few feet over the border. Bedding looked pretty good but man it sure had changed since I was in there 3-4 years ago. It’s one of those spots that has minimal buck sign but there are some big ones that move through there periodically.

I picked out some kill sets for different winds. Two ground sets and one tree.

Not sure if the big ones are pressured out of there or not, but there’s only one way to find out. I picked out a pretty sweet observation spot that I had overlooked in years past. Between some daytime observation and shining I should know if that bedding is being used or not.

After that I drove 45 mins and observed some beans. Plenty of activity but no shooters.

I also swapped cards at the apple tree. There’s only 15-20 crabapples on it, so the dynamic may change a little as last year it was LOADED. I placed that cam in early May and the drop tine I winged last year had been MIA. Well he finally showed up!! He doesn’t have the drop this year but he’s bigger framed for sure. Tad more tine length, tad more width, tad more mass. Definitely a 140’s buck, maybe 150’s.

With the history we have, I have to make him my #1 target. Specific observations will start very soon. I have a ton of intel on him from last year, and the new “traps” were set months ago. All I need him to do is make one mistake.

Game on :L:
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:01 am

20210823_092355.jpg

20210823_100558.jpg

Found active buck bed and got my milkweed. Next time im In the timber i will have a bow in my hands.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Kickapoo

Unread postby Kickapoo » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:08 am

A few public land Wisconsin swamp bucks I’m after. I’ve seen two of the bucks in person coming out of their beds. One is a mainframe 5x5 with matching split 2’s that’s my no.1 right now. Hoping they stick to their current pattern. Had to buy a ghillie suit this year for two of these bucks. Going to have to make it happen from the ground
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:25 am

Those are nice ones, Kick. Keep those cards close to your vest so internet thieves don’t rip you off.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:30 am

Went to pull a cam today.
The SD card was gone and camera turned off.
I'm certain when I left it a month ago it was working.

They did leave the camera still attached to the tree.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:52 pm

Good deer kickapoo! Good luck!

Tennhunter3 that sucks! I've had it happen before, glad they left the camera, but still sucks they took the intel.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:06 pm

Kickapoo wrote:A few public land Wisconsin swamp bucks I’m after. I’ve seen two of the bucks in person coming out of their beds. One is a mainframe 5x5 with matching split 2’s that’s my no.1 right now. Hoping they stick to their current pattern. Had to buy a ghillie suit this year for two of these bucks. Going to have to make it happen from the ground

Couple of giants! I got one good buck on camera and I have an idea where he is bedding but both times he popped up on cam, it was 1am so I could be way wrong. Going to put an observation sit or two in before season hopefully get a better idea.
Snapchat-1340437760.jpg
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:38 am

Saw the 10 point on the hood the other day when cutting brush. Nice buck, be nicer next year. Pappy the 8 point is still twinkle toeing around... hope to see him garden horn

20210829_133606.jpg
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”