Bigwoods DVD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Bigwoods DVD

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 17, 2021 3:56 am

When that buck stepped out, I remember thinking to myself "Holy Toledo, look at the size of that buck" !! Then I remembered I'd probably better go ahead and shoot the damn thing!! lol

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 17, 2021 4:17 am

I also want to comment on the "whitetails and water" video. This is an outstanding example of what hunter's like Dan will do to get to a good buck and its a lot of work.

An extreme example I can give is of a Michigan hunter that went after a buck in mid-November that the islands he bedded on could not be reached by canoe or kayak, the small streams that fed it were in the middle of a big cedar swamp. He penetrated the swamp and then donned a wet suit to get at the buck and swam out to the islands.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon May 17, 2021 10:29 am

Singing Bridge wrote:I also want to comment on the "whitetails and water" video. This is an outstanding example of what hunter's like Dan will do to get to a good buck and its a lot of work.
An extreme example I can give is of a Michigan hunter that went after a buck in mid-November that the islands he bedded on could not be reached by canoe or kayak, the small streams that fed it were in the middle of a big cedar swamp. He penetrated the swamp and then donned a wet suit to get at the buck and swam out to the islands.

Wow. That's commitment.

So did he get the buck?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 17, 2021 10:38 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:I also want to comment on the "whitetails and water" video. This is an outstanding example of what hunter's like Dan will do to get to a good buck and its a lot of work.

Wow. That's commitment.

So did he get the buck?

Not this particular buck, but this hunter took world class bucks in both Michigan peninsulas and held the State record non-typical for many years. These hunters can take it to an extreme level.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon May 17, 2021 10:53 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Great video Dan, I think this will surprise a lot of hunters that big woods bucks can be taken by the road.

I shot a great buck in Michigan's Huron-Manistee National Forest right next to a woods road, big woods at it's finest. I had found the buck bedding area while spring scouting. I rotated to this area in the gun deer season and was startled to see a big hunting camp set up on the road (opposite side) a couple of hundred yards from the bedding area. I waited until the hunters raced off from camp after lunch to go to their stands (no one had a clue about the big buck bedding area). I snuck in and 20 minutes before dark downed a buck when he stepped to the edge of the thick cover (the most secure bedding in that area). I dressed the buck and tied him into a cold stream as I couldn't take a chance of any of the hunters seeing me.

The next morning the hunters all charged off to their stands... when I knew they had all left I raced my truck down and parked on the road right in front of their camp... ran a hundred yards to the buck, raced him out and got him into the back of my truck... and got the heck out of there.

The butcher's scale put him just over 200 lbs dressed.

Scott

Bridge... I really appreciate the contributions you have made in this series. You're one of the experts in this terrain and I learn a lot of little nuggets like the why of the road bend.

And that story was awesome!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Wed May 19, 2021 12:57 am

I love how relatable all these videos are to where i hunt. Every single one has brought a memory back to me from past hunts/scouts. The roadside video hit home with me about a particular spot i used to hunt. One side of the road is hills and oaks, very open. The bottom side has a little high ground but drops off into a huge swamp. Its not very far from the road to the swamp edge in spots, maybe 100 yards in some spots, but mostly less than that. That area has produced some great bucks over the years for myself, and i've seen some other guys in there who've killed some tanks as well.
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Thu May 20, 2021 2:22 pm

Thanks for the videos Dan
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun May 23, 2021 1:15 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:Great video Dan, I think this will surprise a lot of hunters that big woods bucks can be taken by the road.

I shot a great buck in Michigan's Huron-Manistee National Forest right next to a woods road, big woods at it's finest. I had found the buck bedding area while spring scouting. I rotated to this area in the gun deer season and was startled to see a big hunting camp set up on the road (opposite side) a couple of hundred yards from the bedding area. I waited until the hunters raced off from camp after lunch to go to their stands (no one had a clue about the big buck bedding area). I snuck in and 20 minutes before dark downed a buck when he stepped to the edge of the thick cover (the most secure bedding in that area). I dressed the buck and tied him into a cold stream as I couldn't take a chance of any of the hunters seeing me.

The next morning the hunters all charged off to their stands... when I knew they had all left I raced my truck down and parked on the road right in front of their camp... ran a hundred yards to the buck, raced him out and got him into the back of my truck... and got the heck out of there.

The butcher's scale put him just over 200 lbs dressed.

Scott

Bridge... I really appreciate the contributions you have made in this series. You're one of the experts in this terrain and I learn a lot of little nuggets like the why of the road bend.

And that story was awesome!

Glad to help. Now the section on bigwoods and what deer eat, great information.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun May 23, 2021 2:27 am

I never realized deer eat pine. Is this in certain areas of the country or does this happen everywhere? We don't always get hard winters and there is a over abundance of food here from ag and acorns to various other browse.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 23, 2021 2:47 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I never realized deer eat pine. Is this in certain areas of the country or does this happen everywhere? We don't always get hard winters and there is a over abundance of food here from ag and acorns to various other browse.

Its certainly bot a preferred food... Its mostly eating in winter up here.
Johnathon
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/john.patzwald?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Johnathon » Wed May 26, 2021 1:30 pm

Thank you so much for releasing the Big Woods Video on YouTube! Each new video I've been hitting the "Like" button and leaving a comment, but find it just as interesting as your Marsh and Farmland DVDs. Loving the content. Thanks again y'all!!
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Mon May 31, 2021 5:09 pm

:twisted: no I
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Mon May 31, 2021 5:10 pm

Love it! Picking up a lot to use in PA big woods

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”