Bigwoods DVD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bigwoods DVD

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:48 pm

I will keep adding the new videos to this discussion as they come out

sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:29 pm

Can’t wait to watch it tomorrow! Thanks for doing this Dan.
sgspencer

Unread postby sgspencer » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:06 am

Thanks for doing this Dan. I've been waiting for this one as it will apply a lot to my areas. I will buy the DVD as well to add to my collection and help support your effort.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:48 am

Thanks dan! I looked for the dvd before I read/heard it will be a series on YouTube lol can’t wait to add it to the collection
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:10 am

I'm looking forward to the "Bear Bait Buck" (I assume it will be a chapter). That was one of the most interesting threads of a Beast buck we have had on here. I'm also interested in Dan's take looking back on it now... if there was a way to improve the odds. Such a unique, monster buck and a total accident that Dan came across it, after all he was bear hunting.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:03 am

Wow,thanks Dan! I'll make sure to give it a like.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:45 am

Awesome! I’ve been waiting for this one for a while now, I’ll be sure to buy it as well to show some support.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:53 am

When is the dvd releasing Dan? I’ve got a beast library collection can’t be missing one!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:34 pm

Just finished watching the second video. Some great info so far. Thank ya'll for putting this together. Keep em coming!
jeajoseph

Unread postby jeajoseph » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:45 pm

This is great, Dan. Thanks for sharing!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:10 pm

Tufrthnails wrote:When is the dvd releasing Dan? I’ve got a beast library collection can’t be missing one!

im hoping a couple months... just gotta get a cover made
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:30 am

Great clear cut video! Just as Dan said, super thick cuts can be difficult for a buck to get his rack through. And just like the video, I also see bucks cruise the downwind side during the rut quite a bit... if that route is convenient for their circuit and destination travel.

I think it was Tim that spoke of the point that stuck out into the cut and Dan illustrated bedding on the point. And sometimes does and or a buck will bed there.

If the cut is running primarily North and South, and the buck's circuit has him approaching the cut from the West (wind from the West) it is pretty unusual for the buck to go to the east side of the cut and run the transition North and South. If a good point juts out into the cut from the West, he will most often cruise right down the point... travel into the cut and continue straight across to the other side, and continue on his merry way to check for doe families.

All of the deer that feed / bed in the cut will cross his route eventually and he can scent check the ground scent of the deer. Everyone gets hung up on airborne scent... bucks can track and detect does in or near estrus just from crossing their trail / tracks and checking both types of scent that are left behind on vegetation.

I have set up a number of hunters over the years in MIchigan's Upper Peninsula to cover one of these big points jutting into the cut (downwind obviously). The point may have bedding but cruising bucks are absolutely going to use it as a travel route with the conditions I described above while cruising. One hunter I set up to cover such a point... I was about 20 yards from getting back to my truck when I heard his rifle fire... 'nuff said.

Bridge
westmichigander

Unread postby westmichigander » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:40 am

way cool! thanks!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:05 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Great clear cut video! Just as Dan said, super thick cuts can be difficult for a buck to get his rack through. And just like the video, I also see bucks cruise the downwind side during the rut quite a bit... if that route is convenient for their circuit and destination travel.

I think it was Tim that spoke of the point that stuck out into the cut and Dan illustrated bedding on the point. And sometimes does and or a buck will bed there.

If the cut is running primarily North and South, and the buck's circuit has him approaching the cut from the West (wind from the West) it is pretty unusual for the buck to go to the east side of the cut and run the transition North and South. If a good point juts out into the cut from the West, he will most often cruise right down the point... travel into the cut and continue straight across to the other side, and continue on his merry way to check for doe families.

All of the deer that feed / bed in the cut will cross his route eventually and he can scent check the ground scent of the deer. Everyone gets hung up on airborne scent... bucks can track and detect does in or near estrus just from crossing their trail / tracks and checking both types of scent that are left behind on vegetation.

I have set up a number of hunters over the years in MIchigan's Upper Peninsula to cover one of these big points jutting into the cut (downwind obviously). The point may have bedding but cruising bucks are absolutely going to use it as a travel route with the conditions I described above while cruising. One hunter I set up to cover such a point... I was about 20 yards from getting back to my truck when I heard his rifle fire... 'nuff said.

Bridge

Good post Scott

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”