Trusting Intuition

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

naternate

Trusting Intuition

Unread postby naternate » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:50 pm

This spring has been a lesson in trusting my intuition while I scout. Have been a bowhunter for a long time but have been dedicated to the Beast style for the last 3 seasons. I have learned so much from this forum and all Dan's content and it has completely changed my hunting experiences. I feel like it is really coming together and this spring has been a huge boost to confidence. Have been scouting hard and it really seems to be coming together.

There have been multiple times this season while scouting that I have found good sign in areas but felt I was missing a piece of the puzzle. Like literally stopped and said to myself "something isn't right....I am missing something." A couple of times I almost wrote off the area but made myself turn around and go back through it picking up a few more clues. Like some beds I just knew should be there or a trail out of a bedding area I missed that led to a primary scrape area. And I have approached an area and instantly knew I was going to find buck bedding, I just got a feeling over me and it was true. Each time I have trusted my intuition, it has produced another piece or pieces of the puzzle.

The process of the Beast Style has been a difficult one for me but continues to be rewarding at every step. For guys new to the style, don't get discouraged. Keep pushing and scouting to build the knowledge. Put in the work, however you can. Walk that extra mile, push through one more thicket, watch another video and soak it in. Definitely don't ignore that voice in you head when it says "check out that little patch of cover", even if you are beat and on the way to the truck. Always ask yourself "why?" Every learning experience in the woods builds that intuition. Trust it....the confidence it builds is a great feeling.

Jrdeerhuntr

Re: Trusting Intuition

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:10 am

I am at the same point as you as far as a timeline starting beast tactics and have noticed the exact same thing. Every time I am scouting or scouting my way in on a hunt and I get that feeling, as almost like I am being watched I bump into deer sign. It is hard to pinpoint what is but I have found two parking lot bedding areas this year because of it. I did not get to hunt this year but plan to this year.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:49 am

Great post!
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:56 am

I have not yet began my first season using all of the scouting from this spring, but I find your post very inspirational. Thank you
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:03 am

I have 2.5 Beast seasons in, so I'm in the same place. I echo what you're saying. There's always something off if what seems like a good spot isn't and it's usually related to pressure for me. I'm getting better at not stopping and asking why the great-looking spot isn't. That journey often fills in pieces of the puzzle. I'm sure I'm still missing things, but it's a lot better than it was. Now the key for me is discerning timing of certain spots. It's a process for sure, just like the old-time Beasts said.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:35 pm

Man, your spot on! This will only be my 2nd full year of beast style of hunting and all I can say is WOW. I enjoy this so much more then just sitting on a beaten down trail hoping something will come by like I was taught years ago. This is a great post!
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:57 pm

I agree with the OP and all the replies, and Moose your post is exactly what I'd say too. This will be my 2nd season too implimenting the tactics I've learned here.

Knowing what I've learned so far, I'd say for hunters new to this game, it is absolutely crucial to slowwww things down when scouting. I'm thinking of one property in particular that I scouted this year, and after a few hours of not finding anything good, I nearly wrote it off. But I kept grinding and scouring transitions and literally fell into some great buck sign and bedding, and then after another trip back the puzzle started coming together, I think so anyway.

My point is, we would all love to be able to blaze through a huge area to quickly and efficiently scout it, like Dan can for example. BUT he's been doing this for decades, so you have to put that in perspective and really take the time to LEARN the principles and develop your own Beast style of hunting that suits you and your hunting areas.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:45 am

Great post!

Anticipating sign is my best bet for fully understanding a spot and having success. I’ve gotten better at interpreting sign as I’m scouting but nothing beats dropping a pin in a specific spot you’ve never been to and finding a scrape, bed, heavy rubline...

Persistence pays off!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Sat May 08, 2021 5:12 am

I agree with this post. Ive found two new great overlooked spots on land I’ve hunted for a long time. Just slowed down and started to think like a deer. Where would I hide etc? can’t wait to hunt them now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”