Recovering from missing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Recovering from missing

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed May 05, 2021 10:11 am

In case anyone was unaware when it comes to whiffing on whitetail I am a bit of an expert! In fact I missed a couple good bucks just this past season. Would guess I have missed well over 30 whitetails inside of 20 yards in my bowhunting life. Would assume that would qualify me to talk about screwing the pooch. Misses happen, they just do. Anyone who spends lots of time bow hunting has missed! It’s the nature of the sport. Just like there’s no fisherman who has not rared back to set the hook and only caught air.

Now there’s several types of misses...... Ones we should learn from and realize I probably shouldn’t have taken that shot. Then a class 2 miss involves clipping a branch or other hazard. These misses just happen and will always happen.

Class3 misses are generally caused from rushing, lack of focus, equipment malfunctions, or in some cases good ole buck fever.

Class 4 misses I categorize by taking the shot you hate. For me that’s 20’ up in a tree with a deer inside of 10 yards. I hate that shot! Sure I practice it, but I’m still not great at it. Hard for me to tell myself I need to let a deer walk that’s broadside inside of 10 yards.

No shame in missing!

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Re: Recovering from missing

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 05, 2021 10:21 am

I’ll take 100 clear misses before one wounding shot. I’m actually quite relieved when an errant shot reveals itself to be a complete miss.

Over the years I had a number of clean misses with a few on really big bucks. It stings for a bit because you know how rare those opportunities are but I usually chalk it up to the buck winning that day. I’m OK with that. All we can do is analyze what happened and learn from it for the future.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed May 05, 2021 10:45 am

Class 5 misses occur when I do my part to execute a perfect shot but the deer doesn't cooperate and moves before the arrow gets to it. I struggle with those. I think the deer I'm hunting in the Northeast are more prone to this for some reason. They just seem very skiddish.
Misses are part of growing as a hunter. Making mistakes and learning from them to make sure they don't happen again is part of the process to becoming a better hunter. Over time the misses become less and the process gets more dialed in.
Worse than a miss is a bad hit. The hardest lessons leave the biggest impact.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed May 05, 2021 12:02 pm

I was guilty of class 5 for several years. Still get shook up, But its less than it use to be. Now, I will just not take a shot if not comfortable. I get nervous when they are out past 30 yards. I'm just opposite on close shots. I have shot many inside 10 yards. They usually do not make no more than 30-60 yards. Last years buck was at 15 yards. I by all rights should not have put a tag on him. It was nothing but luck that it worked out. Top it off he did not run but about 30 yards. When he came pass me, I saw where I hit and dropped my head. Just to hear a noise and raise my head to see him pile up 30 yards away. Yes, I had big eye in amazement to see him fall.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:18 pm

There isn’t a worse feeling than wounding a deer and never finding it if you truly respect these animals. I make sure I practice shooting in all weather conditions so that when the time does come for a particular situation, I at least have confidence to fall back on.
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Wed May 05, 2021 12:29 pm

Missed a nice buck a few years ago ( happened to get it the following year) and wounded one this year. This years wounded deer eats at me every single day. Multiple times per day. I catch myself doing a grimace and head shake.

For my personality this actually helps. I’m better if I have an edge. I get complacent and think I’m “all that” and it’s a bad recipe. I try to file away the details of the scenario as to not repeat, but it will always sting.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:59 pm

I shot at a decent buck a few years ago at 40 yards and missed under him. It was right at dark and i miscalculated the distance. It was human error on my part.

Also been caught drawing my bow twice by mature bucks in the last 4 years I've definitely had my ups and downs.

I'm happy I havent wounded one with a arrow but I know it happens to everyone eventually. Not looking forward to the day it happens to me.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Wed May 05, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed May 05, 2021 1:07 pm

Boogie, that donut you holed at 30 yards? now you got me thinking how big the donuts are in TX.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed May 05, 2021 1:24 pm

Good stuff guys! I hadn’t considered #5 cause I shoot a stick. Guess one of the big perks is they are whisper quiet. I also don’t ever stop a buck, my bow prob shoots 160 FPS I like my odds better not causing a scene.

I’ve been fortunate to lose very few deer in my life (knock on wood) I typically just whiff :lol:

By far the worst misses for me are the ones that happen towards the very end of the season. Basically blow your last shot with very limited time on the clock for redemption. On a positive I missed a buck or 2 and found myself capitalizing on a even better one later on.

Misses hurt at the moment and have had times I wanted to go Happy Gilmore and wrap my bow around a tree. But those occasions when everything works out as planned gives me a feeling I can’t put into words. While I strive for perfection the uncertainty is what makes it so dang exciting.
-John Wayne-
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Wed May 05, 2021 10:59 pm

I've definitely had my fair share of misses. Mainly whenever I was younger and would get so worked up and blow the shot. I had no problems getting on good bucks back then, just couldn't capitalize. It was actually so bad that I missed 12 bucks one season. Granted, a couple of those shots I did clip a limb. I had so little confidence that I just knew that I would miss the next shot. I just wanted it over with. But....I learned from all of that. I had target panic really really bad, and that was a big part of it. I got through that in the summer following that season and got past the mental issues. Haven't had an issue since. Now if i miss, I can just blame it on my recurve being too slow and the deer ducking out of the way.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu May 06, 2021 1:01 am

Man, Ive missed a few myself. I've been to the class 1-4 lol. Last year was my class 2 :cry: It can be heartbreaking for sure. This is your year boogieman and hopefully mine as well.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu May 06, 2021 2:00 am

I've missed a few taking what were probably not great shots in hindsight. Missed one high at 35 yards when deer was fully alert, and he ducked arrow. Missed one at 28 yards out of a really small tree in a legitimate 30mph wind (was like shooting a bow on a small boat in high seas), and last year I missed one when I couldn't get a consistent range on with my range finder and shot for longer than the actual distance.

It happens to everyone sooner or later. I'm with the guys who said I'll take a clean miss over a wound any day. Pretty easy to shake off a clean miss, pretty tough to not recover an animal.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu May 06, 2021 2:23 am

I’ve blown some easy shots on nice bucks. One in my memory the most was about 120” when I missed a 10 yd shot on him. He survived 2 more years and and turned into a 150”. Then never saw him again from stand just summer glassing. Then he disappeared for good
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:33 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Boogie, that donut you holed at 30 yards? now you got me thinking how big the donuts are in TX.

Those were miniature powdered sugar donuts I holed at 30 yards Lou! I’m a backyard hero Superstar.......
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri May 07, 2021 1:48 pm

Class 3 here. Always feel rushed, like to push the bow at the deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”