Turkey Vest

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bperdue21

Turkey Vest

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:32 am

Does anyone use a turkey vest instead of a backpack or whatever else while deer hunting? I have an Old Tom Time and Motion Vest I used last year and really liked carrying it over my eberlestock or my Kuiu when I didn't need to haul a bunch of clothes in the woods. The only problem I found it that it isn't really built heavy enough for every day weight bearing. I was hoping maybe someone else used a vest and knew of something heavier duty so I'm not tearing my vest up every time I go out.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Turkey Vest

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:51 am

I'm doing it this season.

I bought a somewhat expensive vest came with a attached,, removable seat cushion. and put all my hunting stuff in it so far looks great.
I will probably take it off when I get up in my tree .

My saddle fits perfectly in the game carry pouch in the back.

Front pockets have 2 flashlight, bugspray, bow release.
A extra camo shirt, a rain suit , a extra amsteel tether.

First aid.
Water tabs,
Small firesteel.

Gloves ,headset, beanie ,knife, rangefinder , small binos ,milkweed,batteries, flag tape, water thermos.

Figured I'd try it out.
Last year I used a Kuiu 500 mini pack it did a good job but didn't quite hold enough. Always had to strap my saddle to it. Im not a fan of wearing my saddle to the tree because I would have to loosen it everytime before I climbed up.

Big backpacks like my badlands treestand pack works but its not that comfortable with no wastebelt and the items are just thrown in and all over the place. I prefer knowing which pocket everything is in.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri May 07, 2021 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri May 07, 2021 9:58 am

Primos makes a bow hunter vest for carrying all your items.I thought about going that route in stead of a fanny pack. Haven’t bought one yet
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:00 am

Hawthorne wrote:Primos makes a bow hunter vest. I thought about going that route in stead of a fanny pack. Haven’t bought one yet

I had one several years ago loved the vest however the zippers break easily barely made it a month before it was no longer usable. and they wanted 35.00 at tailor to put a new zipper on it. If they just had a reliable zipper they would be fantastic.

Drives me nuts when companies makes good jackets and vest but use the cheapest junk zipper they can get.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Fri May 07, 2021 2:03 pm

I have the primos bow vest and their gun vest as well. I love both. It’s so much more convenient not having to carry a pack, but their quality control can be hit or miss at times. The gun vest is button up, but I had my neighbor put a heavy duty zipper on it.

I’ve also heard of guys using fly fishing vests for the same thing.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Fri May 07, 2021 3:04 pm

I saw the Nomad Killin’ Time vest and feel like it could be a good one. The old tom has a lot of lightweight mesh.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat May 08, 2021 1:13 am

I did this years ago, but I never liked my turkey vest for deer hunting, I don’t like it for turkey hunting either. I went back to the bag pack. I have cut out most of the non essential stuff for deer hunting, so a bag pack works better for me. It carries my wild edge steps, with my tether and knaider. Then mostly just extra cloths. The only thing that could really go in a vest would be binos and grunt call. Otherwise I normally leave my knife at the truck so I have to go get it, forces me to give the deer more time to die, but on really long hikes I throw it in the bag. Milkweed goes in my pocket and there is not much else I take out there. One small but reliable compass, which I hang around my neck. Hopefully this season I have the long bow dialed in and can cut even more weight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”