Expandables or fixed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Expandables or fixed?

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri May 07, 2021 11:38 pm

Moving parts mean the potential for failure. I have used the original muzzy 3 blades for over ten years. They hold up very well on a less than perfect shot.

moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Sat May 08, 2021 3:29 am

I shoot fixed with traditional (obviously) and big mechanicals with compound. Never had any problem with mechanicals. Shot my bow buck a little back this year with a compound. Caught liver and not sure that would have been the case if it weren't for the big mechanical. Not that I advocate lousy shooting with mechanicals but it happens. lol
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Sat May 08, 2021 4:13 am

gsquared23 wrote:
Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:Shot deer with both, prefer fixed... Shooting slick tricks now been very happy with them..

I also really, really like slick tricks, have been super easy to tune, they just fly great and penetrate very well.

Yes, been very good to me, I don't see myself switching anytime soon.
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Sat May 08, 2021 5:19 am

Wasp Boss fixed blade head. I can’t see ever shooting anything but. Flies fantastic and zips right through them almost every time.

And made us the USA with extra blades. They are a great deal money wise and I love tiger performance.
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Sat May 08, 2021 6:01 am

Fixed, QAD Exodus for me. Right around 600 grain total weight now.

Shot the 2 blade rage for a couple years but was having trouble getting the penetration I wanted out of my set up. Arrow weight was around 390 grains. Have nothing bad to say about the rages, just weren’t right for my set up.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat May 08, 2021 6:29 am

Any day you find me in the stand or the blind, I'll probably have both expandable and fixed heads in the quiver.

When I started archery in the mid '80's, I bought some Punch Cutter expandables from the shop that sold me my PSE Vulcan compound. What complete junk those heads were, but I killed my first antlered archery deer with one.

Buying a newer bow to replace the PSE, the previous owner was a Jakhammer fan. I shot those for a couple of years, throw in some Wasp fixed heads.

I'll most likely have a Jakhammer and/or a Rocket Hammerhead in my quiver, along with some Wasp or Muzzy. Maybe a Montec G5.

Digging around the archery supplies not too long ago, I realized that at the current rate I shoot, I'll probably never have to buy arrows or heads for the rest of my hunting life.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat May 08, 2021 7:46 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:Personal preference. Really what it come down too. I started out shooting Wasp fixed blade back in mid 80's. Now I shoot 100 grain Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials.

The Wasp fixed blades rocked back then, I killed a lot of deer with that head.

You talking about ones with round pointed tip? I put few on ground with them. I think after them. I went to Trilocks fixed blades.

Yes the round pointed tip, I used those all the time because they were available at my local archery shop. I also used Savora broad heads from time to time.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sat May 08, 2021 7:53 am

Nothing but fixed for me.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat May 08, 2021 9:09 am

Fixed. I don’t know what angle I will get. If broadheads aren’t flying then nothing is dying
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:45 am

I couldn’t agree with you guys more. It i ok not makes sense. Growing up, I shot whatever I could get me hands on. Muzzy, zwickey, whatever. Killed deer too.
Then I started to try things out. Still stuck with fixed blade, and used G5 montecs and strykers for a long while, but to be honest, would have perfect shot placement with Tiny hole and lack of blood or no blood. Found quite a few deer and if it want for seeing where they fell, I wouldn’t have found them, or at least have to search hard. So I got sick of that crap.
Then I went from one extreme to the other... tried out Rocket broadhead mech. And was impressed with arrow flight and the thing actually opened! still not a big hole, but impressive blood.
Then I wanted more... and like a crack head, I found the almighty rage.... and to this day, I will say it.. don’t hate me for this either.. but I have killed so many stinkin deer with rage broadheads and had straight up disgusting blood trails with pass throughs almost all the time. I must have been extremely lucky but I have never had more success with a broadhead than a rage. Never a fail, and unless I hit a branch or bad shot placement in General, I have never not retrieved when hit with a rage.
Now that being said, I switched to deep six arrows and they don’t make raves for them. Also, I have now fallen back in love with the idea of a heavy arrow and heavy, razor sharp tomahawk on the end of it, and will probably explore in that area.
But I will say, I absolutely slaughtered the whitetails for a long while with the rages..
DeltaCharlie
Facebook: N/A

Unread postby DeltaCharlie » Sat May 08, 2021 12:03 pm

I shoot fixed blade now. I have several different ones in my quiver, 2 blade single bevel, 2 blade double bevel, three blade, four blade. I have shot animals with mechanicals and had bad results. That is purely anecdotal and would never disparage what anyone chooses to shoot. I just prefer to take as many variables out of the equation as possible. I know as long as I do my part the broadhead will work. Obviously some work better than others.

I am also a firm believer in tuning my equipment and being the most proficient archer I can be. I have wounded animals and it's a horrible feeling. I practice everyday and will continue to do so, because I can always get better.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat May 08, 2021 1:26 pm

I started with fixed years ago then got one pack of rage when they first came out. Killed a doe with the rage but stopped using them because the blades always would come out. Fixed blades for me from here on out.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sat May 08, 2021 10:11 pm

Moose wrote:I started with fixed years ago then got one pack of rage when they first came out. Killed a doe with the rage but stopped using them because the blades always would come out. Fixed blades for me from here on out.

Exact same problem I was having. I actually started using the crossbow collars on all arrows and then I had a lot better luck. I’m going back to fixed as well.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun May 09, 2021 12:06 pm

Been shooting Grim Reaper for seven years. Eight bucks down all within sight except one. It went over hill about 150 yards away. Pin point accuracy. Shot fixed blades before Grim Reaper lost to bucks an a doe in 33 years. It really just comes down to what you desire.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sun May 09, 2021 4:29 pm

I really like slick tricks,

I shot a couple with mechanicals and had great bloody trails. But those deer ran after the shot. (About 100 yards at most.)

Since going to slick tricks I have good blood trails. But I don’t need them. Arrow zips through, and the deer takes a few steps like nothing happened, gets the wobbles and tips over.

Same with a thunderhead once. Except a non existent blood trail.

I think sharpness has a lot to do with the blood trails. And those 4 blade slick tricks look like I shot em with a slug.

My sample size is 5 though.

1 thunderhead: no blood took like 5 steps
1 rage: great blood, 100 yd track
1 kill one: great blood, 75 yd track
2 slick trick: good blood, walked off and dropped within 20 yards

I will be using slick tricks. I keep a rage in the quiver for turkeys or coyotes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”