Onyx Hunt Issues.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Onyx Hunt Issues.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon May 10, 2021 3:51 am

This morning I decided to do some online scouting in Wisconsin. I noticed my onyx hunt membership expired so I purchased the elite.

Upon logging in I was told that it now has a 1500 way point limit which seemed very low I looked at my total and it was over 3600 way point. How does premium all 50 states elite membership only have 1500 total waypoints.

So I decided I would delete all my lines and parking spots.
When I hit delete lines it deleted all my onyx hunt waypoints of all types. This obviously set my hunting intel back about 3 years if I can't get this repaired.

Currently I have emailed the company and hope to get this resolved.

Is anyone else having these issues?

I really hope onyx can fix this limit because if the new limit is only 1500 then the product is no longer worth using for serious hunters across the nation.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Mon May 10, 2021 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Re: Onyx Hunt Issues.

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon May 10, 2021 3:57 am

That is a nightmare, I hope you can get them back. I am looking into switching to huntstand, perhaps to use as a backup if nothing else. I wish i could morph my GPS to my phone's ONx.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 10, 2021 4:02 am

Are you having problems with the mobile version or web? I have never seen the 1500 limit on mobile but it sucks on the web link since that’s where I like to do a great deal of my cyber scouting on a large screen. That’s one of my biggest complaints about Onx.

I have had waypoints disappear like that but they came back. Most times I just had them disabled or selected the box for only loading what’s only on the screen.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon May 10, 2021 4:18 am

Dewey wrote:Are you having problems with the mobile version or web? I have never seen the 1500 limit on mobile but it sucks on the web link since that’s where I like to do a great deal of my cyber scouting on a large screen. That’s one of my biggest complaints about Onx.

I have had waypoints disappear like that but they came back. Most times I just had them disabled or selected the box for only loading what’s only on the screen.

I normally put way points in on mobile android and I use mobile version of onyx probably 95 percent of the time.

Scouting this morning I chose to use the web because the screen was bigger and I figured it would be easier to pinpoint potential buck bedding locations.

When I clicked delete lines on the web it deleted all my way points on pc and android.
bgordorfski

Unread postby bgordorfski » Mon May 10, 2021 5:25 am

I lost at least half my way points last year in the beginning of season. It was traumatizing. I don’t know what happened.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:44 am

10 years ago I started with a handheld garmin 62st and haven’t moved Up. I transferred my waypoints from my garmin to a file on my wife’s new laptop last summer.

I don’t fully trust the gps on my phone and have had several other fellow hunters get lost as a goose while using their phone to navigate, especially when it first became common 5-8 years ago. I’m sure it’s gotten better and will continue to improve.

I’m secretly terrified of losing my handheld or having it stop working because I’d lose tons of information if I couldn’t get the backup waypoints reloaded into a new device.

Good luck, I hope you don’t lose all of your waypoints saved from countless hours afield.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon May 10, 2021 7:07 am

It will only show 1500 on the web. It stinks, but it is what it is. I do most of my mapping on the iPad with OnX, but other mapping apps work better on a computer.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon May 10, 2021 7:15 am

I just looked at my iPhone and have 993 waypoints. You guys do more scouting than me
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:13 am

I back mine up with a GPS and I also have laminate topos I can use marker on of all my hunting properties
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:18 am

I remember some of the bedding areas not nearly all.
Most scrapes I will not remember or rub lines.

Most of the areas were areas I hunted in previous years and would not hunt now but I still hope to get the Intel back.

I would have never tried removing anything if pc didn't have the limit. I figured I could cut down near 500 way points just removing marked parking spots, atv trails, horse trails ,hiking trails and lines.

They really should have a backup button of are you sure you wish to delete all way points. Because I only clicked remove like 12 lines and it all vanished.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I remember some of the bedding areas not nearly all.
Most scrapes I will not remember or rub lines.

Most of the areas were areas I hunted in previous years and would not hunt now but I still hope to get the Intel back.

I would have never tried removing anything if pc didn't have the limit. I figured I could cut down near 500 way points just removing marked parking spots, atv trails, horse trails ,hiking trails and lines.

They really should have a backup button of are you sure you wish to delete all way points. Because I only clicked remove like 12 lines and it all vanished.

I’m pretty sure if you contact them they will be able to help you retrieve your data again.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue May 11, 2021 9:28 am

I've had a bunch of trouble with onX recently. The app crashes all the time and a bunch of waypoints dont show up. If I download the map to my device and view it offline, everything is there.

From what onX customer service has told me, your waypoints probably aren't gone. All of your data is stored on their servers and not your phone. So even if it isnt showing up for you, they most likely still have it.

They have very helpful and responsive customer service, but I'd prefer to not have to use it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 am

This is Onx’s response to me last October when I was have issues with very slow loading and having to trim waypoints on the web version.

My response to that.

I haven’t changed a thing and recently this has much improved so I think it obviously was a problem on their end not mine.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue May 11, 2021 12:37 pm

Dewey wrote:This is Onx’s response to me last October when I was have issues with very slow loading and having to trim waypoints on the web version.

My response to that.

I haven’t changed a thing and recently this has much improved so I think it obviously was a problem on their end not mine.

I got similar info. They had me clear the app data and then sync it. It hasn't helped.

It was an overnight issue that popped up and I didnt change anything on my end, so I'm guessing it is an issue on their end as well.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:09 am

Onyx managed to give my waypoints back.

Not too happy about the computer limit of 1500.
At least I didn't lose years worth of intel.

Onyx was polite in helping me with my issue.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”