Is saddle hunting phasing out?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Upatreeinwv

Is saddle hunting phasing out?

Unread postby Upatreeinwv » Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 am

Is saddle hunting gaining or losing popularity? It seemed like it was on the uprise there for a little bit. Now seems like there are so many new run n gun stands and platforms, it's hard to tell whats growing the most. I like the looks of the new Dan stand. It looks awesome and I wouldn't even care to spend the $ on it. But the water jetted lone wolf custom gear stand popped and cracked loud enough after cam locking it, you could scare deer for miles. For me, I'm going to lug the old assault and 3 LONG sticks around. But I love trendy stuff. Banjo minnow, trail cameras, ebikes, yes im a sucker. Whats the new rave everybodys liking these days?

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Re: Is saddle hunting phasing out?

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:07 am

Ground and pound for me. Im a treestand fall away from a hole in the ground.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 11, 2021 10:47 am

I think the saddle market is pretty saturated right now but far from phasing out. No shortage on options so the hype isn’t nearly as bad when options were very limited. Guys were paying full price for used equipment. It was crazy there for a bit.

Most saddle guys are pretty dedicated and some just jumped on the bandwagon but never really gave it a chance and then ended up selling. I won’t be giving up my saddles anytime soon.

The trend now is cutting weight on gear. As public land becomes more and more popular that trend will only increase. The days of hauling 30+ lbs of gear deep into public land are pretty much gone for most guys.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:02 am

I’ve looked back at a lot of old magazines recently. Seems every 8 or so years going back to the 80s saddles seemed to get a big push and several known faces promoting them. Yet again and again it’s a crash and burn. When the money dries up and there is no more saddles to give away and no more money to promote it all is lost. Like the deer view mirror, buck cruncher, and ninja suits.... Just dust in the wind. But they will be back.... cheaper to make and more expensive to buy then ever. Until then keep your ear to the grind stone!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue May 11, 2021 11:14 am

Like the deer view mirror,

This brought a smile to my face... in Michigan we weren’t allowed to hunt out of tree stands during the gun deer season until I was in my late 20’s so you had to be skilled at hunting from the ground. We had a friend in camp who showed up one year with a rear view mirror mounted on a walking stick. He said he got tired of having to look behind him every time he heard a noise and of course we razzed him for years to come. Many, many years later the deer view mirror came out which started the razzing all over again.
Upatreeinwv

Unread postby Upatreeinwv » Tue May 11, 2021 11:16 am

I know stuffs changing a bunch but I like that video you got Dan of setting that lone wolf stand and sticks. Cant remember what it was called but had like old ripped coveralls, no safety harness, possibly long hair, and you kept trying to picture what the buck could see.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue May 11, 2021 12:14 pm

Upatreeinwv wrote:I know stuffs changing a bunch but I like that video you got Dan of setting that lone wolf stand and sticks. Cant remember what it was called but had like old ripped coveralls, no safety harness, possibly long hair, and you kept trying to picture what the buck could see.

https://youtu.be/e2Y12DRIy9M
I think this is part 1 of the video you're thinking of.
Upatreeinwv

Unread postby Upatreeinwv » Tue May 11, 2021 1:54 pm

Yep thats it. That video reminds me a lot of reality right there.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 11, 2021 7:43 pm

Its easy to get caught up in the hype, but you really need to take a step back and think before you buy with every product. It will all seem great in the adds, but will it fit your style of hunting? the trees you hunt out of? your goals? etc... All one needs is a stick, a string, and a license. The rest is just hunter bling.
Upatreeinwv

Unread postby Upatreeinwv » Tue May 11, 2021 10:10 pm

Well said. Hunter bling... wish they sold years and years of experience in my hills of WV. I'd buy that.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:44 pm

Indians were doing it for thousands of years with a stick and a rock. They were probably beast style hunting back then only difference was if you got busted you didn't eat lol. I often think about that on stand and look at all my fancy gear and think I really don't need this stuff cause at the end of the day its just predator vs prey in the circle of life thats been taking place since the beginning of time. So when a man walks in an archery shop and drops thousands of dollars on the newest bow, stand or saddle just think you can go to a yard sale buy some hand me down bow and aluminum arrows and still be light years ahead of our ancestors.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue May 11, 2021 11:52 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
Like the deer view mirror,

This brought a smile to my face... in Michigan we weren’t allowed to hunt out of tree stands during the gun deer season until I was in my late 20’s so you had to be skilled at hunting from the ground. We had a friend in camp who showed up one year with a rear view mirror mounted on a walking stick. He said he got tired of having to look behind him every time he heard a noise and of course we razzed him for years to come. Many, many years later the deer view mirror came out which started the razzing all over again.

The old man was tacking mirrors to his deer stand 20+ years ago so he didn't have to turn his head to look behind him. What he lacks in deer skills he makes up in determination gun season, can sit dark to dark like nobodies business, I just need to get him to move into a better location. :lol:
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed May 12, 2021 12:55 am

I think saddle hunting is far from losing popularity. More and more products continue to be released. That being said, I saddle hunted for a few seasons. Really enjoyed it, but it was limiting. I have decided to go to a small hang on in conjunction with the saddle. Best of both worlds if you ask me.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 am

I don't think saddle hunting is going anywhere. With that said it's probably not at a pace of growing like it was in the last year. Many hunters are trying it out and more products are hunting the market. I think it will be treated like any other method of hunting once everything settles. I really see saddle hunting like climbers. Definitely has a place in the industry and some prefer it over anything else but it's not for everyone or for every situation.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed May 12, 2021 1:52 am

Agree with Tim.

Trends always peak at one time or another. There will always be a miracle doohickey but none of it is necessary, just do what works for you.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”