Deer Hunter Podcast Rompola Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Re: Deer Hunter Podcast Rompola Buck

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:45 pm

Dewey wrote:
john1984 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
BA-IV wrote:
tdorf84 wrote:
BA-IV wrote:Troy Pottenger is a pretty credible guy in my opinion, and the new series in the podcast with him participating sheds a new light on Mitch. Troy credits him to really helping him and being a mentor when he didn’t have to be.

I could care less if the story is true, but there’s no doubt the guy is a straight KILLER...Charles Beaty (Prince of Poschers) is another example. Straight outlaw, trespassed for 30 years on huge ranches before being caught and killed 100’s of STUDS. You don’t have to agree with his morales or the way he did things, but he was at another level along with Mitch WAY BEFORE any of the technology existed. I’ll never be on that level so I’ll give credit where credit is due.

I mean I don't think any credit needs to be given to people killing a bunch of big deer illegally.

I can understand that, and agree with it TO A POINT… but after it’s all said and done you could drop these guys anywhere and they would prolly still produce the biggest deer in the area. These guys are wired different plain and simple.

Restrict them to the current hunting laws and I bet they would be a whole lot less “successful”. Anybody can cheat and dramatically up their odds of killing a big buck especially when trespassing on prime land.

You ain't gonna rattle up 100 bucks on public land

I was talking about trespassing on prime PRIVATE land.

Yeah I know. That Charles Beaty said he rattled up 100 bucks just in one day on the king ranch. I doubt he could do that on public.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:49 pm

john1984 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
john1984 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
BA-IV wrote:
tdorf84 wrote:
BA-IV wrote:Troy Pottenger is a pretty credible guy in my opinion, and the new series in the podcast with him participating sheds a new light on Mitch. Troy credits him to really helping him and being a mentor when he didn’t have to be.

I could care less if the story is true, but there’s no doubt the guy is a straight KILLER...Charles Beaty (Prince of Poschers) is another example. Straight outlaw, trespassed for 30 years on huge ranches before being caught and killed 100’s of STUDS. You don’t have to agree with his morales or the way he did things, but he was at another level along with Mitch WAY BEFORE any of the technology existed. I’ll never be on that level so I’ll give credit where credit is due.

I mean I don't think any credit needs to be given to people killing a bunch of big deer illegally.

I can understand that, and agree with it TO A POINT… but after it’s all said and done you could drop these guys anywhere and they would prolly still produce the biggest deer in the area. These guys are wired different plain and simple.

Restrict them to the current hunting laws and I bet they would be a whole lot less “successful”. Anybody can cheat and dramatically up their odds of killing a big buck especially when trespassing on prime land.

You ain't gonna rattle up 100 bucks on public land

I was talking about trespassing on prime PRIVATE land.

Yeah I know. That Charles Beaty said he rattled up 100 bucks just in one day on the king ranch. I doubt he could do that on public.

Gotcha. I missed that part. On public you might rattle up a 100 other hunters. I know I called them in with grunt calls numerous times. :lol:
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:43 am

Just the fact we are STILL here talking about him and the buck after all these years.....

Thats reason enough for some guys to just let wandering minds wander. I'd get a kick out of reading this stuff knowing dang well what I have on my wall.

I've spent time in his area. The swamps are no joke. Deer can easily get old in there. I've went into stuff that was nasty enough to turn me away and I don't turn away from much. Especially if sign is there. I can deal with thick. I can deal with water. But there are weird canals inside...flowing water and usually WAY deeper than they look. They snake all through and make travel by any means nearly impossible. Even a kayak or canoe.. You'd be fighting dead ends and beaver impoundments and it'd just be a nightmare. From land...it was easier to walk away lol. I couldnt figure out how to hunt it. Sign was scattered. The area seemed endless. I'd start getting somewhere and bam. More water.

Also, seeing deer up there.. for whatever reason they do tend to run wide. Not all of them. But I've laid eyes on a bunch that you seriously scratch your head wondering how it gets through what you know it gets through. Haven't seen any world class deer. But certainly possible. It's tough hunting. Opening day of gun season on public and I'd be lucky to hear shots on the public...all day. It was like 8 or 9am on my first opener before I heard ANY shooting at all.

It would be cool to find out the truth one day just to put it to bed one way or another.
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:13 am

mauser06 wrote:Just the fact we are STILL here talking about him and the buck after all these years.....

Thats reason enough for some guys to just let wandering minds wander. I'd get a kick out of reading this stuff knowing dang well what I have on my wall.

I've spent time in his area. The swamps are no joke. Deer can easily get old in there. I've went into stuff that was nasty enough to turn me away and I don't turn away from much. Especially if sign is there. I can deal with thick. I can deal with water. But there are weird canals inside...flowing water and usually WAY deeper than they look. They snake all through and make travel by any means nearly impossible. Even a kayak or canoe.. You'd be fighting dead ends and beaver impoundments and it'd just be a nightmare. From land...it was easier to walk away lol. I couldnt figure out how to hunt it. Sign was scattered. The area seemed endless. I'd start getting somewhere and bam. More water.

Also, seeing deer up there.. for whatever reason they do tend to run wide. Not all of them. But I've laid eyes on a bunch that you seriously scratch your head wondering how it gets through what you know it gets through. Haven't seen any world class deer. But certainly possible. It's tough hunting. Opening day of gun season on public and I'd be lucky to hear shots on the public...all day. It was like 8 or 9am on my first opener before I heard ANY shooting at all.

It would be cool to find out the truth one day just to put it to bed one way or another.

The ability for deer to get old, has nothing to do with the ability to produce 200 + inch racks. With those swamps, comes harsh winters, and nothing but browse and mushrooms to feed on. Not a good scenario for rack development

Eberhart, I believe lives in northern Michigan and travels to southern Michigan to hunt, because the chances of getting on a 3.5 y/o + that breaks 115” is a lot harder to come by up there.

Personally, I become a skeptic when one person claims to consistently kill deer (legally or illegally) in the same areas that the combined effort of thousands cannot..in a wild herd, others in that area would be killing Rompola type bucks and capturing them on cameras. Maybe not commonly, but at least somewhat consistently.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:13 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:I'm on the fence. Heard so much odd stuff around this buck. I recollect some rumor about a fire that may have burned them. Anyone remember that?

I did hear the original rack was destroyed in a fire, but seems to be a rumor, nothing I've seen supporting it.

Must have been a hot, hot fire.....highly doubt antler will turn to dust in a normal house fire

I’ve seen more than one elk antler turned to ash from wild fire
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:40 am

swampyak wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:I'm on the fence. Heard so much odd stuff around this buck. I recollect some rumor about a fire that may have burned them. Anyone remember that?

I did hear the original rack was destroyed in a fire, but seems to be a rumor, nothing I've seen supporting it.

Must have been a hot, hot fire.....highly doubt antler will turn to dust in a normal house fire

I’ve seen more than one elk antler turned to ash from wild fire

Interesting, and I don't doubt you.

I wonder where Rompola house/building fire occurred? Should be able to find out.
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:20 pm

I did not realize he filmed up womens skirts. I have a daughter and would beat the crap out of anyone doing that, and stealing christmas card money.....

I dont care how many bucks he killed he is a piece of garbage. Im kinda sad to find this out because I was fascinated by the story.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:45 pm

Jimmy wallhanger wrote:I did not realize he filmed up womens skirts. I have a daughter and would beat the crap out of anyone doing that, and stealing christmas card money.....

I dont care how many bucks he killed he is a piece of garbage. Im kinda sad to find this out because I was fascinated by the story.

Is this true though? Or was this jealousy that started a rumor cuz big deer make people do stupid things. If it is true, then yeah he’s a waste of space.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:38 pm

BA-IV wrote:
Jimmy wallhanger wrote:I did not realize he filmed up womens skirts. I have a daughter and would beat the crap out of anyone doing that, and stealing christmas card money.....

Is this true though? Or was this jealousy that started a rumor cuz big deer make people do stupid things. If it is true, then yeah he’s a waste of space.

Easy enough to find out. I punched in his name and nothing came up. Maybe I entered wrong. :think:

https://courts.michigan.gov/opinions_or ... fault.aspx
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:08 am

Dewey wrote:
BA-IV wrote:

Easy enough to find out. I punched in his name and nothing came up. Maybe I entered wrong. :think:

That link is for State Supreme Court and court of appeals. A local criminal court case wouldn't show up there necessarily. It would probably have been in a county or district court. If true.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:30 am

Huntress13 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
BA-IV wrote:

That link is for State Supreme Court and court of appeals. A local criminal court case wouldn't show up there necessarily. It would probably have been in a county or district court. If true.

Sorry for posting the wrong link. That would explain why there’s nothing listed. :oops:

Everything is public record and should be easy enough to dig up.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:53 am

Dewey wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
BA-IV wrote:

Sorry for posting the wrong link. That would explain why there’s nothing listed. :oops:

He's not in the 13th Circuit Court Criminal Records Search which covers Grand Traverse, Antrim & Leelanau counties. If it's stealing mail that would be a federal case, and cases older than 15 years ago for Michigan are filed in the National Archives at Chicago, which is currently still closed because pandemic. Now if it didn't happen there, then that could be somewhere else. I'm not finding any mention of him in any newspaper article as having been arrested for anything, only newspaper mentions are of course, about the buck. (I like research)
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:06 am

Huntress13 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
BA-IV wrote:

He's not in the 13th Circuit Court Criminal Records Search which covers Grand Traverse, Antrim & Leelanau counties. If it's stealing mail that would be a federal case, and cases older than 15 years ago for Michigan are filed in the National Archives at Chicago, which is currently still closed because pandemic. Now if it didn't happen there, then that could be somewhere else. I'm not finding any mention of him in any newspaper article as having been arrested for anything, only newspaper mentions are of course, about the buck. (I like research)

Thanks for looking into that. I didn’t have time to dig deeper. Interesting for sure. Doesn’t surprise me that wild rumors have little to no documented proof. I never go by hearsay. Maybe somebody local has more insight into those supposed incidents.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:46 am

If I've learned anything about deer hunting over the years, its that if a hunter reaches an elite level, they will be accused of pretty much everything under the sun from poaching to being a jerk, to criminal activity that has nothing to do with hunting. I can think of at least three "big name" hunters who got into the whole filming thing specifically to be able to defend themselves against those kinds of accusations. Sometimes people just can't comprehend how someone else can achieve things they can't, so they jump to the conclusion that the successful guy must have cheated, or they attempt to destroy his character when the cheater label won't stick. Its sad. That said, I sympathize with the people throwing shade at people who reach that elite level cause its too common for those cheater accusations to be found to be true. Mark Mcguire was my favorite baseball player growing up, and 20 years later, that whole thing still stings.

Anyone who wants to learn about rompola should go on Amazon and buy a copy of bowhunting's whitetail masters. Its a book written in 1993'ish with a chapter dedicated to rompola and his tactics for hunting swamps. Any beast will read that chapter and see that rompola was a beast, long before anyone knew what it meant to be a beast. And if anyone is gonna consistently kill big whitetails, its a beast.

One other thing, grand traverse County is not that bad. There are excellent genetics in that area, and the surrounding counties. There is also a lot of agriculture, its not big woods hunting over there, that doesn't start until you get at least another hour or so north. Combine that with some of the nastiest Swamps you could encounter and a higher percentage of private land in that area compared to the rest of northern Michigan and a deer could definitely find a place to get old.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:49 am

Dewey wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
BA-IV wrote:

Thanks for looking into that. I didn’t have time to dig deeper. Interesting for sure. Doesn’t surprise me that wild rumors have little to no documented proof. I never go by hearsay. Maybe somebody local has more insight into those supposed incidents.

This was the point of my post…just cuz someone says it don’t mean it’s true. I would like to see more people think for themselves and take things with a grain of salt. Remember there is three sides to every story, his side, their side, and then the truth. People need to learn to think for themselves.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”