Draw weight for deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Buck

Draw weight for deer?

Unread postby Southern Buck » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:32 am

I’ll post this here as well since I feel like more eyes will find it on this forum.

Was over at my Dad’s for Father’s Day, and we got to talking about the upcoming season. He proceeds to go back to his hunting room and pull out stuff that he’s collected over the years including and old golden eagle compound and a 1953 bear grizzly that he purchased decades ago from his cousin for $50. He told me if I wanted it I could have it, which I jumped at as I’ve always had taking a deer with a trad bow on my bucket list.

Thing is, it’s only a 38# bow. Would that be enough to responsibly hunt whitetail with the proper arrow set up?

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
mauser06
500 Club

Re: Draw weight for deer?

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:01 am

Good start would be state regs. I only mention that as I believe it's 45lbs+ here.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:25 am

Just my .02 but I personally wouldnt even though I think my state says like 35#..maybe 40# but it would be good for smaller game and practice though. Then go buy one w more weight if youre dedicated.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:59 am

I think as long as you got real good and comfortable shooting it, and didn't push the yardage. Stay 20 yrds and under with a good sharp broadhead I think you would be ok.
Of course check your state laws to be sure it's legal.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:00 am

Ok, I’m not a trad guy, but won’t the effective draw weight go up if your draw is longer than what the bow was originally measured? Meaning, 38 lbs at 28-in draw becomes more than that if you have a 29-in draw. Happy to do some learning if that’s wrong.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:15 pm

I killed my 1st deer with a 40# compound, full length aluminum arrows, and a filed down 4 bladed cut on contact head. A 38# recurve will do it, but man that's gunna have to be a PERFECT shot on a deer 15 yards away max IMO. Not a lot of kinetic energy there. If that bow is marked 38# @ 28" draw then you get about 4# per inch if you draw past that.

If it was me I'd shoot that bow for fun and get proficient with it and then try to track down a little heavier recurve to hunt with, around 45#
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:59 am

The PA limit is #35. My recurve im shooting really well right now is #40 at my draw. With these kinds of bows the execution of the shot and arrow setup has to be ideal. At least 10gpp. A 2 blade head, close shots, and a well tuned arrow. Broadside shots are best.

Post this in the traditional part of the forum. Some really great and experienced guys over there.

My compound is only #51. Ive yet to not shoot through a deer with sub 400 arrows and way less efficient heads than 2 blades. The bow will do it, but you have to be honest with yourself about accuracy and disciplined on your shots. Good luck!!
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:02 am

A lot also depends on the bow itself. I have recurve limbs and longbow for the same riser. They both tune for the same arrow at 5lbs different in bow weight.. so the written poundage doesnt tell the whole story.
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:00 am

I would get at least 40lb and a heavy arrow
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:47 am

Southern Buck wrote:I’ll post this here as well since I feel like more eyes will find it on this forum.

Was over at my Dad’s for Father’s Day, and we got to talking about the upcoming season. He proceeds to go back to his hunting room and pull out stuff that he’s collected over the years including and old golden eagle compound and a 1953 bear grizzly that he purchased decades ago from his cousin for $50. He told me if I wanted it I could have it, which I jumped at as I’ve always had taking a deer with a trad bow on my bucket list.

Thing is, it’s only a 38# bow. Would that be enough to responsibly hunt whitetail with the proper arrow set up?

I don’t see a problem with it as long as it’s legal in your state and you use a good double edged fixed broadhead and keep you shots reasonable.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:28 am

Traditional 40 pound. Any heavier i can't control it well.
The jump from 40 -50 traditional is huge.

Compound I shoot 60 pounds any heavier it takes too much movement and the last thing I want is a buck in close and not be able to draw my bow.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:44 am

Agree tennhunter
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:20 pm

Appreciate the responses. My state has no minimum draw weight so that part isn’t an issue.

Pretty much confirmed what I was already thinking. It can be done, but there’s not much room for error. If I give it a shot, I’ll have arrows at least 550 grains and keep it 15 yards and under. My draw length on a compound is 28 inches, so I know it’ll be less than that with the recurve which means I won’t even be pulling 38 lbs.

I’ll likely just use it to practice my form and target shoot in the yard before graduating to something in the 45-50# range.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:57 am

My stalker wolverine fxt is 42-43 lbs as my 26 inch draw length, finished arrow weight around 475. You will be fine with a 2 blade and well placed shots.

Draw weight on modern recurves is pretty different compared to bows from the 50-90s honestly. Case in point. That stalker at 42 lbs shoots the same speeds at my draw length as multiple older recurves in the 45-52lb range.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:44 am

We used to shoot 70# compounds and 45# recurve.

I dropped to 50# compound cause it is a lot easier.

You may be able to get away with the 38# bow with cut on impact points and heavy arrow - just gonna have slow arrow and deer will move when the string goes twang.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”