Did you smell that?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PAbowhunter10

Did you smell that?

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:39 am

So lately I have been hearing guys on podcasts and YouTube videos raving about synthetic scents and using them for mock scrapes/trail camera setups. The big name being thrown around is buck fever synthetics. I believe Mitch Rompala and some other big names use this brand from what I have gathered from others. My questions is how many guys use scents on a regular basis in conjunction with scrapes (early season, pre-rut, rut, post) and have had consistent success. My question is cannot a mature buck tell the difference between a synthetic scent and the real thing. Really interested to hear the consensus…

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Did you smell that?

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:24 am

I think there are a ton of factors that will make that work or not. I believe the most important thing is to get the scent dispersed in a specific area and not leave any human scent when doing it. I know that in the areas I hunt I stand a better chance of doing far more harm than good when putting any scent out there.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:37 am

I tried Smokey’s Preorbital scent last year over scrapes and mock scrapes. I had no success with it over mock scrapes in my areas. I believe the preexisting scrapes had more to do with more buck photos than the actual scent.
Years ago (12-15) I used to use BF Synthetics with success. I stopped because I changed my tactics. My brother on the other hand has had great success with BF Synthetics over mock scrapes in SD. I believe he also tried Smokey’s last year but didn’t have much success. I will be reverting back to BF Synthetics in August to try it for a season. It’s cheap compared to Smokey’s and lasts for a longtime because it’s synthetic.

Edit: I should add that I used my waders and rubber gloves each time I freshened a scrape. The deer didn’t even lift their noses to scent check the overhanging branches, according to my cameras.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:33 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:I think there are a ton of factors that will make that work or not. I believe the most important thing is to get the scent dispersed in a specific area and not leave any human scent when doing it. I know that in the areas I hunt I stand a better chance of doing far more harm than good when putting any scent out there.

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ This. ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:24 am

Man there is a ton of info out there about scents. I think you just have to play around and decide what works and what doesnt.

I agree w Elite that it will likely be more productive on existing scrapes. Creating your own can be productive bc ppl do it but I think you need assess your property, deer and goals.

One trick I would really like to try is dominant buck scent to draw out a buck that is hiding well. Personally, iv had bad luck forcing the scent into the situation. I like scents for unknown situations or when the opportunity presents itself. When I already know the situation or what I need to do to be successful, iv had negative results.

Everyone is different so just try it yourself and see.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:53 am

I rather take my shot on a hunt and not tip them off with a mock scrape. I knew a guy that used to take the dirt from a real scrape and put it in a mock scrape near his hunting location. The deer still visited his scrape at night with no daytime visitors. We are not deer and there is no way we can duplicate the real thing, their noses are to good. Im not buying duplicating scrapes work on the monarch of the woods, at least not in daylight and im sure the people pushing synthetic scents are getting something in return.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:58 am

You can make synthetic scents with household products. The main ingredient is ammonia. All urine has ammonia in it if I’m not mistaken. Not an expert. Fred Abbas used to give a recipe for an attractant made from ammonia
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:19 am

I’m pretty sure you’re listening to the same Troy Pottenger podcasts that I am. Here’s my 2 cents without ever trying them... What Troy talks about is terrific. Tons of great info. Hunting where and how he does sounds super challenging and really cool.

But I think the attractants might be like 5% (at best) of his total success in the mock scrapes. To me, the things I take away from him is the location of the scrape for bulletproof access for the hunter, areas where bucks like to be anyway, considering thermal advantage, the Beastly importance given to bedding, and areas that funnel the bucks into bow range. Also throw in those same ingredients for doe areas in the rut.

Raking up fresh dirt a big scrape and using the right licking branches is another part of it, but I think the bucks are more attracted to the fresh earth and probably will lick overhanging branches even if there’s nothing else on them. So can the scents make a difference? Quite possibly, but they might not do a thing if those keys I mentioned earlier are not taken into account.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:26 am

I assume you listened to some Troy Pottenger podcasts? I have too and sure he makes me interested in buck fever synthetics too but then you listen to Steve Sherk from here in Pa and he refuses to use scents, he makes alot of mocks but he will not use any kind of scent. he wants them hitting that mock on their own accord and places there own scent over and over.

I think the biggest factor in mocks is not what scent but where you place it in relation to bedding and where bucks travel.

Last fall, I found a natural scrape here in PA on gamelands and I hunted a few times over it. It was more of a licking branch than a scrape but it was right next to a very thick point that bucks always bed on year after year. I had a nice 8 point and twice, a nice 7 (same buck) hit that scrape but I passed them, and then a small half rack and a spike. all in daylight. I never put a camera on it, wish i would have.

the year before last, I hunted this same area over monster car hood/dining room table sized scrapes down in the bottom of the valley and only ever saw one small 6 point. that one I did have a camera on and trail cams showed me only one nice 10 pt ever to hit in in daylight. but several big boys hit it in the middle of the night. But the bedding was 500-700 yards away, particularly on that point. So even though the scrapes looked awesome and were hit hard, they were rarely ever used in daylight and i wasted some hunts down there.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:45 am

Honestly I go with making the mock scrape in an area the bucks (and does) are going to be traveling past, make sure it has a good licking branch (trim if need be) and rake the ground up real well. The visual and fresh earth will get them to check it out and use it. Once they do they will hit it when they come by. It is surprising how effective it is.

Bio1
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:31 am

I have probably wrote this dozens of times now over the years…… if you wanna make a mock scrape use ZERO scent…. If you put it in the right spot they will hit it and now there’s is the best scent money Cant buy—the real thing , no need for any scent ever. I have many mock scrapes none have had any scent applied by me and they all get used . People just love wasting there money on gimmicks (scents)
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:18 am

Scrape hunting is all about location in my opinion. I’ve used scents before and had decent success, but it was in conjunction with good location so it’s hard to say whether they used it due to the scent or was going to use it anyways.

I will try this year on two spots with mock scrapes with synthetic scents and see if it works on getting inventory.
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:54 pm

tim wrote:I have probably wrote this dozens of times now over the years…… if you wanna make a mock scrape use ZERO scent…. If you put it in the right spot they will hit it and now there’s is the best scent money Cant buy—the real thing , no need for any scent ever. I have many mock scrapes none have had any scent applied by me and they all get used . People just love wasting there money on gimmicks (scents)

I agree with this. Most success I’ve had that was consistent, was because I put mock scrapes in areas they already liked scraping. No scent.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:17 pm

I'll use whatever is cheap in my scrape droppers. Once they empty I use PBR or Busch Light and pee in them when I check cams.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:54 pm

I really think that bringing dirt from other scrapes into an area where a community scrape is close to bedding would really cause a mature buck to frequent it way more often. It's something I plan on trying as well this year if I find a scrape that fits that description.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”