Stalking deer in rain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Stalking deer in rain

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:13 pm

Awesome way of killing a buck thanks for sharing
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:30 pm

I will check that one out, thanks for posting.

boy does that title bring a memory. About 2010 I had a private spot up the road, and thought a good buck could be snuck upon on an east wind in the rain. Wind wasn't perfect for the approach, but right for the buck and it was raining so I thought I could push it. Snuck in there and hit the back side of a grassy knoll and looked down and there was a coyote den with fresh tracks in the sand. Since it was raining I knew they were fresh. I reminded myself I was deer hunting and turned around to see the coyote looking at me. I raised the xbow (slowly and said hi, real calm) and put the 30 yard pin which I had cheated to 35 yards and touched it off. 2 inches over its back i was closer than 35. That one still haunts me.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:42 pm

So i watched the video, very cool but i missed something.... How/whwn did you first find the bed? Spring scouting or in-season? Or did you just have a hunch and were spot stalking?
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:25 pm

I love hunting this way. I spotted a big doe in the rain across a swamp once and crept around through the woods and got within 40 yards of her. Long story short she winded me when it swirled and busted. There's so many things moving when its raining in the woods that it seems to dull their senses a bit.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:55 am

Great video

I have had fantastic luck creeping up on deer in the rain. A few real big ones too. A few times I almost stepped on them! One time it was raining steady in the timber, I jumped a large buck 30 yards away and he didnt have a clue what I was or what happened! He ran away, I started walking again, all of a sudden here he comes blasting past me at 15 yards! :lol: He had no clue!

Aside from the obvious sound cover, I think they feel relaxed.. maybe even a little disoriented. Which is odd bc id assume they would be edgy. So on rainy days I like to go bump scout bucks instead of trying to locate old sign. The negative to that is you can get close on accident and hard bump them. I still dont think they know exactly what happened and at least this time of year they are in velvet.
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:23 am

I think I may have read your story in one of the kill threads cool idea to walk us through it. I have had success doing this with the rifle but not the bow yet, looks like I will give it an honest effort on a rainy day this season.
Haste makes waste
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:11 am

I love sneaking around in a light rain. So stealthy and so much easier to surprise bedded deer. My absolute favorite time to in-season scout too with bow in hand of course.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”