3 year case study of Beast Style Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hunter271995

3 year case study of Beast Style Hunting

Unread postby Hunter271995 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:55 pm

Howdy Beasts,

A few years ago I stumbled on Dan Infalt watching a hunting public video when I should have been working on finals spring semester of my senior year. Dan's philosophy clicked right away, as I thought of the two biggest bucks I had killed had been right where they were bedding ( 130 inch 10 pointer and 150 inch 10 pointer on unposted private in North Dakota). This was more by sheer luck rather than targeting bedding areas but I decided to scout like a beast, hunt like a beast, and see if there were results. Here is a brief summary of what I got for data each year.

2018-2019- States Hunted North Dakota & South Dakota- Total Sits 67, Bucks shot 0, does shot 1, Shooter buck encounters (120+ inch deer within 60 yards, these sized bucks and bigger make me happy especially considering a lot of guys don't get deer this size on public even out here) 15.

This was my first year hunting beast style with a mobile tree stand ( I was ground hunting or set stand hunting). While I did not harvest a buck, I did harvest a doe over a bedding area the first time I had hunted it. I also went from having 2 encounters with nice bucks the previous season to 15 plus I had two misses in South Dakota. What I learned- It worked, doing the beast style hunting, but I needed to work on shooting and finishing the deal.

2019-2020- States Hunted- North & South Dakota- Total Sits 55 Bucks shot- 2, Does Shot-0, Shooter Buck encounters- 10

Second year beast hunting started off poor, after doing some early season observation sits and targeting two big guys, I saw a total 5 deer in 22 sits, only one being a little fork horn. However things picked up in October and the remaining 33 outings I saw 10 shooters within 60 and harvest 1 decent buck (125 inch) and 1 buck a hair smaller (120 inches) in north and south dakota, making it my first ever two states with a bow buck hunting on public land (or non-posted private in ND). What I learned- Sometimes going for the biggest bucks you may not see a lot of deer, Once I decided to target deer that were smaller, these strategies worked better than the previous year.

2020-2021- States Hunted- North & South Dakota, Nebraska, & week long elk hunt MT- total deer sits- 40 (excluding week of elk hunting) Bucks Shot-2, Does Shot- 0, Shooter buck encounters- 8

Third year of beast hunting occurred after I made a move from Sioux Falls,SD to Lincoln NE in August 2020. Due to my elk hunt and starting a new job and hunting a state for the first time, I did not get out much until october deer hunting, however I did have one encounter that I blew on a nice buck in NE before my Elk Trip in September. I blew another one in SD bowhunting October, and another encounter in Nebraska once I found some decent deer hunting (Public Hunting in SE Nebraska). I had not hunted with a gun for 6 years but this season I did in both NE and SD, and harvest a buck in both states, and both were under 60 yards. I did have an opportunity in ND, and my arrow hit a branch. What I learned- Hunting 4 states in a single year and starting a new job during a pandemic maybe was more than I could chew, however I did have encounters and blown opportunities in each state. My skills are only growing with more time, experience, and knowledge.

Does Beast Style Hunting work? Yes, even if you are not killing giants like myself, my hunting has improved and I am seeing and getting into better deer than I was before. My hunting partner in SD who also follows beast tactics has had improved hunting himself since he started ( no data there). Biggest thing, while hunting beast style isn't always fun, I enjoy my hunting more and I have enjoyed the success I have had. What else could you ask for? Nothing in my opinion.

Question for Beast members- What are the biggest things you have learned? What has kept you hunting this style? Why do you enjoy it as much as you do?

Thanks

Zig when they Zag, Zag when they Zig
Ishi Spirit

Re: 3 year case study of Beast Style Hunting

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:21 pm

I started hunting mobile in 1988 long before the internet. I suppose I got the idea from bowhunter magazine but can’t remember for sure.
At the time it made sense cause I could hunt many different woods, adjust to the deer and I wouldn’t have to hang several stands each season.
Mobile hunting is still the best way for myself to hunt and will continue to do as long as I’m able.
The Spirit Lives On
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:07 pm

This style has helped me improve faster than I could have imagined. I went from zero experience three seasons ago to getting opportunities — all on public. I’ve intentionally passed on some deer and messed up on the ones I wanted to shoot for various learning-experience reasons. I guess I’m somewhat impatient as well and sitting in the same stands day after day waiting for something to walk past has zero appeal to me.

This is a huge season for me. Full Beast season # 3. I need to convert on the opportunities I get, and hopefully there are some more quality ones as well.

But I can’t think of trying to hunt any other way, particularly considering that I don’t have unpressured private ground to hunt.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:34 pm

What I see is a lot of people struggle there 1st couple seasons. There is a lot to understanding bedding, knowing when to hunt it, taking down and setting up each sit, spending enough time pre scouting,, etc... But those who stick with it, and have good work ethic eventually see results... Talking with a lot of hunters it seems like the 3rd year of hunting tjis way fully vested is where most people really start to get into the rythem. However, as you stated, you start seeing results right away... Every area is different, and has different challenges. A lot of the areas I hunt, especially near my home guys who hunt food sources will tell me they see 3 or 4 bucks on the average hunt, but rarely ever see adult deer... Its hard for those guys to do a lot more work and not see a Single deer on 5 or 6 hunts... But, my hunting in the same areas, my way, maybe 1 out of 4 deer I see is 3 or older. I just see less deer... So you have to get past the seeing fields of deer and think more about the one deer your after... Now that can change, some areas I hunt with heavy pressure, you wont see much of anything unless your right up against bedding, and this way of hunting sees instant better results... Bottom line is it takes a certain type of person who enjoy earning success thru hard work, and it takes a person with a strong mind who wont give up to really see major improvments, but understanding beast methods will improve anyone success, its just certain types will take it to higher levels
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:44 am

Dan kind of summarized where I am. This will be my first semi year of Beast style. Didnt get to scout as much as I did but doing more now. Im trying to take these next few years and learn how to pick up on sign. Trying to refine my skills and then be able to keep pushing more and more. Time will tell. The biggest takeaway from Beast hunting for me is to that seeing deer doesnt mean you will shoot that buck. Ive seen 15 does in a field before with no bucks. Have to find the guy I want to shoot and target him. Now finding him is what I have to work on haha
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:29 am

Thanks for sharing your 3 year synopsis. I’m in this 3-4 year category as well. I’ve been fortunate to capitalize on a few great deer for my area, and have learned some hard lessons as well.

As a side effect, I’ve become absolutely obsessed with scouting. It’s all consuming and I feel like this desire to discover has kept it fresh and reduced my learning curve.

I was chasing fish around in my younger years, so now it’s catch up mode.

If I could add one tip, and one I fell victim too last year it would be to utilize your scouting effectively, and establish a “game plan” for your season.

For example, I got caught up in a deer that I got a few visuals of and ended up over hunting the area. Before I knew it I had lost weeks, and under utilized some great other areas.

Stay sharp it can happen at any moment!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:19 am

Sounds like you’re doing well. I’m on year 7 1/2 (found the Beast mid summer ‘14). The first couple are definitely learning years. I didn’t kill a single deer my first fall as a beast. Of course no spring scouting factored in. That said I passed more does and young bucks than I ever had.

I also didn’t experience an October lull at all, and haven’t since. Pre-Beast I had 3 consecutive years where I had 3-5 consecutive hunts mid October seeing zero deer. I would say I wouldn’t see deer at all 1 out of 3 hunts. That’s just what I averaged. Often when I WOULD see deer they were nowhere near bow range.

The last couple years I would guess I see deer 80-90% of the time, and they’re much closer. It’s not uncommon to pass multiple does and little bucks on one hunt. 2019 I killed 3 deer in 10 hunts all with my bow all on public, and I had encounters on the majority of those hunts. I killed a buck and doe in MN in 4 kill sits (buck was opening day), and I killed a doe in 6 sits in WI and they were all 100% blind sits. Had never scouted WI before.

There’s absolutely no chance I could accomplish that without Dan’s teachings and the guys input from the forum.

The one thing that has really been driven home for me the last few years is if you’re targeting a specific buck, luck almost never works in your favor. You have to keep looking for HIM and the sign HE leaves. If you aren’t finding it, KEEP GOING. Sure there are times where you just have to make your best guess and see what happens, but normally when the encounters with Mr. Big happen, you’re fully aware that you’re in the game before he ever steps out.

If anyone wants to up their game and target the monsters, Dan’s advice of “stop DEER hunting” is 100% accurate. He’s not like the others. He’s harder to locate, but if you can find him, he’ll likely be very killable. You just need to find his weakness and exploit it.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:59 am

Hunter271995 wrote:
Question for Beast members- What are the biggest things you have learned? What has kept you hunting this style? Why do you enjoy it as much as you do?

Thanks

Biggest things I have learned:
1. About everything revolves around some sort of bedding.
2. Hunt where big deer live. You can't kill what isn't there.
3. Scout way more than you hunt.
4. In-season scouting. Hot Sign, Hot Sign, Hot Sign!!!
5. Don't hunt just to hunt. If you're not seeing the sign that gives you confidence in a sit, keep moving to different areas, different properties, or different states until you do.
6. Big buck hunting is a numbers game. More encounters means more success. Don't be afraid to mess a few up if it means you are getting in the game a lot more consistently.

What has kept you hunting this style?
1. Results - It just plain works (but not over night) Pre-beast I killed a handful of smaller bucks with a bow in Michigan. I have killed all of my top 5 deer after joining the beast.
2. Confidence - For years, I didn't know or believe what Dan said when he would say "I think I'm going to kill a big buck everytime I enter the woods". Obviously, he doesn't kill one on every sit (no one does), but having all the scouting under his belt and all the experience gives him that kind of confidence. I am getting there. I used to sit in spots without a whole lot of reasons why. Now I am in certain areas based on the conditions, seasonal timing, hot sign, historical data, etc. My confidence has went up tremendously.

Why do you enjoy it as much as you do?
1. I describe my motivation for hunting as "adventure hunting". By that, I mean I enjoy going to new areas often. The like idea of hunting 10, 20, 40 different trees each season, which means I am likely traveling to new properties and/or new states. Heck, lately I have been doing a lot of ground hunting and run and gun with the bow. I could never sit in the same box blind or treestand all season long, even if you could guarantee me a 150" deer would come out sooner or later, just not how I am wired. To me, beast style and adventure hunting go hand and hand, which is probably one of the main reasons it appealed to me in the first place.

2. because hunting across a variety of terrains and states has taught me to identify common themes/features that are likely buck hideouts and has made me a much more well rounded hunter than I ever was pre-beast.

3. I enjoy the Beast forum and the community.

4. I like taxidermy and venison and my inventory of both have went up dramatically since I became a member.

Big shout out to Dan and all the Beast members for all the knowledge!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:22 pm

dan wrote:What I see is a lot of people struggle there 1st couple seasons. There is a lot to understanding bedding, knowing when to hunt it, taking down and setting up each sit, spending enough time pre scouting,, etc... But those who stick with it, and have good work ethic eventually see results... Talking with a lot of hunters it seems like the 3rd year of hunting tjis way fully vested is where most people really start to get into the rythem. However, as you stated, you start seeing results right away... Every area is different, and has different challenges. A lot of the areas I hunt, especially near my home guys who hunt food sources will tell me they see 3 or 4 bucks on the average hunt, but rarely ever see adult deer... Its hard for those guys to do a lot more work and not see a Single deer on 5 or 6 hunts... But, my hunting in the same areas, my way, maybe 1 out of 4 deer I see is 3 or older. I just see less deer... So you have to get past the seeing fields of deer and think more about the one deer your after... Now that can change, some areas I hunt with heavy pressure, you wont see much of anything unless your right up against bedding, and this way of hunting sees instant better results... Bottom line is it takes a certain type of person who enjoy earning success thru hard work, and it takes a person with a strong mind who wont give up to really see major improvments, but understanding beast methods will improve anyone success, its just certain types will take it to higher levels

I have been a follower of your teachings since 2008. Out of all the great lessons you have taught, that is probably the best summary of it that I have read.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
kevinbrd

Unread postby kevinbrd » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:01 am

Going into year 2 myself. Always was a climber guy couldn't stand sitting the same tree twice but I have learned that I had not been choosing my hunting locations in the most effective way. Biggest thing for me has been learning about bedding areas and figuring out how the deer use different properties. After following all the Beast tactics regarding scouting, it has been eye opening when you find beds/sign where they are " supposed to be" when in years past I would never think to check these spots due to just lack of experience. What keeps me going on these tactics is the drive to gain the confidence to be able to get on deer every sit and feel like every sit has the chance to make it happen. This off season I have spent by far the most time in the woods scouting in a much more effective and efficient way than any years past due to learning the Beast ways. I have developed a true passion for scouting and believe that will be a difference maker for my success rates. Definitely enjoying the learning curve which is a huge bonus. Hard work pays off, and that makes the hard work enjoyable for me. Seasons coming fast good luck everyone.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:34 am

kevinbrd wrote:Going into year 2 myself. Always was a climber guy couldn't stand sitting the same tree twice but I have learned that I had not been choosing my hunting locations in the most effective way. Biggest thing for me has been learning about bedding areas and figuring out how the deer use different properties. After following all the Beast tactics regarding scouting, it has been eye opening when you find beds/sign where they are " supposed to be" when in years past I would never think to check these spots due to just lack of experience. What keeps me going on these tactics is the drive to gain the confidence to be able to get on deer every sit and feel like every sit has the chance to make it happen. This off season I have spent by far the most time in the woods scouting in a much more effective and efficient way than any years past due to learning the Beast ways. I have developed a true passion for scouting and believe that will be a difference maker for my success rates. Definitely enjoying the learning curve which is a huge bonus. Hard work pays off, and that makes the hard work enjoyable for me. Seasons coming fast good luck everyone.

I'm in year 5 now. I can identify with you on everything you said. Especially that part where you feel every sit you're gonna kill. If I don't feel that, I'll just keep walking and scouting, I won't even climb up the tree. Hunting hot sign, next to bedding is such a rush of adrenaline each and every sit. Long gone are the days when I'd sit the same tree every year just because.

My first year was terrible. worst year ever had hunting. I'll admit I followed Dan's teachings but I tried to cut corners do things halfazz and I had become a worse hunter than was was before I found the beast. Year 2 I went 15 straight sits where I either saw deer or jumped them going in. I felt myself starting to learn how to get close and hunting the bedding. Year 3 I killed 2 dandy bucks on only 3 sits...one was out of state in Ohio. Year 3 was it for me...finally I was like yes I got it. All the spring scouting, all the online maps paid off and I did it all the right way, not halfazz. Last year I only hunted 10 times but passed a real nice 7 and an 8 because I was onto some giants but I didn't kill anything but It was a great season and very rewarding for me regardless. Who knows what'll happen this year I can't wait.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:52 am

rfickes87 wrote:
kevinbrd wrote:Going into year 2 myself. Always was a climber guy couldn't stand sitting the same tree twice but I have learned that I had not been choosing my hunting locations in the most effective way. Biggest thing for me has been learning about bedding areas and figuring out how the deer use different properties. After following all the Beast tactics regarding scouting, it has been eye opening when you find beds/sign where they are " supposed to be" when in years past I would never think to check these spots due to just lack of experience. What keeps me going on these tactics is the drive to gain the confidence to be able to get on deer every sit and feel like every sit has the chance to make it happen. This off season I have spent by far the most time in the woods scouting in a much more effective and efficient way than any years past due to learning the Beast ways. I have developed a true passion for scouting and believe that will be a difference maker for my success rates. Definitely enjoying the learning curve which is a huge bonus. Hard work pays off, and that makes the hard work enjoyable for me. Seasons coming fast good luck everyone.

I'm in year 5 now. I can identify with you on everything you said. Especially that part where you feel every sit you're gonna kill. If I don't feel that, I'll just keep walking and scouting, I won't even climb up the tree. Hunting hot sign, next to bedding is such a rush of adrenaline each and every sit. Long gone are the days when I'd sit the same tree every year just because.

My first year was terrible. worst year ever had hunting. I'll admit I followed Dan's teachings but I tried to cut corners do things halfazz and I had become a worse hunter than was was before I found the beast. Year 2 I went 15 straight sits where I either saw deer or jumped them going in. I felt myself starting to learn how to get close and hunting the bedding. Year 3 I killed 2 dandy bucks on only 3 sits...one was out of state in Ohio. Year 3 was it for me...finally I was like yes I got it. All the spring scouting, all the online maps paid off and I did it all the right way, not halfazz. Last year I only hunted 10 times but passed a real nice 7 and an 8 because I was onto some giants but I didn't kill anything but It was a great season and very rewarding for me regardless. Who knows what'll happen this year I can't wait.

Can you describe what short cuts you took that were detrimental? This is my first year and I don’t feel like I have near enough boots on the ground scouting in. I’m going to try to get some more miles in this summer, but it’s tough with a young family.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:03 am

dan wrote:What I see is a lot of people struggle there 1st couple seasons. There is a lot to understanding bedding, knowing when to hunt it, taking down and setting up each sit, spending enough time pre scouting,, etc... But those who stick with it, and have good work ethic eventually see results... Talking with a lot of hunters it seems like the 3rd year of hunting tjis way fully vested is where most people really start to get into the rythem. However, as you stated, you start seeing results right away... Every area is different, and has different challenges. A lot of the areas I hunt, especially near my home guys who hunt food sources will tell me they see 3 or 4 bucks on the average hunt, but rarely ever see adult deer... Its hard for those guys to do a lot more work and not see a Single deer on 5 or 6 hunts... But, my hunting in the same areas, my way, maybe 1 out of 4 deer I see is 3 or older. I just see less deer... So you have to get past the seeing fields of deer and think more about the one deer your after... Now that can change, some areas I hunt with heavy pressure, you wont see much of anything unless your right up against bedding, and this way of hunting sees instant better results... Bottom line is it takes a certain type of person who enjoy earning success thru hard work, and it takes a person with a strong mind who wont give up to really see major improvments, but understanding beast methods will improve anyone success, its just certain types will take it to higher levels

I know it may be different everywhere but am curious to know if you have areas or properties you have passed on due to hunter pressure or just human pressure. Or what percentage of the time does a new property work out that has a buck or bucks and you can get on him or them with effort?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:34 pm

Beast hunting does work.
My mature buck encounters were low my first 2 years but really picked up in my 3rd year.

I did miss shots at mature buck my first year. And got busted drawing my bow in year 2. Year 3 I killed a 8 point around 120 inches that was a three year old.

Logging and Pressure has really hurt my seasons the propties I hunt now arent the ones I hunted in my first 2 years. I'm constantly trying to adapt. It is a full time job.

Last year 4 I saw very few deer but it was because I spent my season hunting a giant ghost. I passed on a very nice 140s 9 point while going after the giant.

Hunting here in the south we have slight differences .
Early season our bucks get up and drop down low. They don't walk the top 3rd much before rut much here.. I had many deerless sits or got busted until I learned how bucks move in my areas. The bedding is still right where it should be.

It takes awhile to learn thermal Setups and how bucks move in our specific areas.

Beast hunting definitely has a learning curve.

Honestly it can be frustrating when you learn the thermals and only can hunt certain spots on certain winds. Beast hunting is extremely time consuming. But when I plan comes together it's a great feeling when the buck comes right out of where you thought he would.

Biggest things I've learned.
It's a long list but here's a few.

The early season-year round scrapes are almost always within sight of a bucks bed often 30-50 yards so hunting them often doesn't work. It may be a great spot but can be near impossible to not get busted on entry and setup.

Bucks in my area drop down low in the evening and hook uphill to smell the falling thermal during early season.

A mistake i made my first two years was hunting the top 3rd early season and its mainly only used during the rut.

If the entry route isn't good the hunt will not be good. Anyone going the lazy route from car to stand is most likely going to have a poor hunt.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:11 pm

This will be my 5th year.

Sorry for second post but I really couldn't put it all in one.

I really felt that by year 3 I was doing things good enough to get on bucks. I'm still learning and make many mistakes.

Last year was odd hunting my first target all year..
I should have thrown in the towel and hunted other areas but I let that buck consume me.

I passed on a really nice 9 point thinking a giant would be coming out of bedding behind him. I guess it can be hard to pass a trophy to go after a bigger trophy. Its easy to see Dan do it on video but hard when we don't get that many encounters. The good news is I did a few things right and could've taken a good buck last year if I wanted. So I'm pleased about that.

This year 5 brings me to new wmas and new properties in multiple states. I think like every year it will be a Rollercoaster. But who knows if I find a target booner it might consume me again like last fall. A season can change with a single camera pic.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”