2021 public land challenge?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Re: 2021 public land challenge?

Unread postby simpzenith » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:01 am

HunterBob wrote:
simpzenith wrote:Yeah, they announced some of the details of it earlier this summer.

What are the details?

I believe it was mentioned in an Instagram Story so it may not be available to view any longer but basically they said they were leaning towards going to Indiana and that Catman was one of the invited hunters, if they can get a commitment from him. That's about all I can recall.

Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:12 am

HuntingParadise wrote:
Tim H wrote:
HuntingParadise wrote:Not to distract from the current conversation but I would live a very northern Wisconsin Public land challenge. Would be interesting to see the guys and how they tackled areas that are considered to have low deer numbers by the general public.

That would be a pretty uneventful challenge for the viewers to watch. :lol:

I could definitely see it being boring for viewers but I would love to see how these minds tackle it. Would really intrigue me.

X2

That’s why it’s called a “Challenge”. Going to a high density deer area just doesn’t have nearly as much appeal to me. Anybody can be successful in those areas.

I for one would love to see this happen in the northwoods of WI, MI UP or northern MN. I don’t need to see kills to get enjoyment. The struggle and how to deal with it would be much more interesting to me.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:09 am

Dewey wrote:
HuntingParadise wrote:
Tim H wrote:
HuntingParadise wrote:Not to distract from the current conversation but I would live a very northern Wisconsin Public land challenge. Would be interesting to see the guys and how they tackled areas that are considered to have low deer numbers by the general public.

I could definitely see it being boring for viewers but I would love to see how these minds tackle it. Would really intrigue me.

X2

That’s why it’s called a “Challenge”. Going to a high density deer area just doesn’t have nearly as much appeal to me. Anybody can be successful in those areas.

I for one would love to see this happen in the northwoods of WI, MI UP or northern MN. I don’t need to see kills to get enjoyment. The struggle and how to deal with it would be much more interesting to me.

As a northwoods hunter and someone who has spent some time in the challenges I still wouldn't think a challenge in northern WI, MI, or UP would be that great. Obviously we want to see a bit of a struggle and adversity. Viewers don't like to think it was easy and that it wasn't a challenge to the participants. But lets not make it so hard we lose the excitement. Let's not forget that you can't kill what isn't there.

The challenge in PA was pretty tough and we had to work at it to get the content. The viewers certainly didn't see all the miles put on by the participants. The wet weather to a few 70/80 degree days and then back to cold on the last day. A short week because there isn't hunting on Sundays. The hunting pressure that just ramped up over night. We had bear season open, doe season open, and youth season open the week we were there.

With my experience in the northwoods I think it would be plain out boring. Simply the lack of deer encounters would make for some pretty dry content. THP would need to get a little creative in creating some excitement. And most people who wouldn't really know about northwoods hunting would probably assume the hunters don't know what they're doing. And say if someone did kill a decent basket 8 in a week, that would be a huge accomplishment! But the average viewer wouldn't really care or understand it. I wouldn't think it'd be a good return on investment. That's just my opinion.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:25 am

Dewey wrote:
HuntingParadise wrote:
Tim H wrote:

X2

That's why I think it would be fun to see them hunt any fantasy Land state and see how many of them kill bucks or maybe set a goal of a size of buck like 140 and up or 10 pointer and up? Maybe everyone will kill one or maybe no one. Just be kinda fun to see it unfold and the strategies they use. Being draw states it would be to difficult, but entertaining!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:12 am

Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
HuntingParadise wrote:
Tim H wrote:

X2

As a northwoods hunter and someone who has spent some time in the challenges I still wouldn't think a challenge in northern WI, MI, or UP would be that great. Obviously we want to see a bit of a struggle and adversity. Viewers don't like to think it was easy and that it wasn't a challenge to the participants. But lets not make it so hard we lose the excitement. Let's not forget that you can't kill what isn't there.

The challenge in PA was pretty tough and we had to work at it to get the content. The viewers certainly didn't see all the miles put on by the participants. The wet weather to a few 70/80 degree days and then back to cold on the last day. A short week because there isn't hunting on Sundays. The hunting pressure that just ramped up over night. We had bear season open, doe season open, and youth season open the week we were there.

With my experience in the northwoods I think it would be plain out boring. Simply the lack of deer encounters would make for some pretty dry content. THP would need to get a little creative in creating some excitement. And most people who wouldn't really know about northwoods hunting would probably assume the hunters don't know what they're doing. And say if someone did kill a decent basket 8 in a week, that would be a huge accomplishment! But the average viewer wouldn't really care or understand it. I wouldn't think it'd be a good return on investment. That's just my opinion.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

We’re not talking about average hunters here. These guys are at the top of their game. I’m confident they can put something together that would be extremely interesting to hunters who love real world hunting. Having hunted extreme northern WI and the UP myself a ton over the last 30 years I have seen enough great bucks killed in tough areas by guys who know how to get it done. The bucks are there but just in extremely low numbers. An older gentleman I worked with killed a 165” buck in northern Forest county. Incredible buck anywhere and not something anyone would ever expect to see come especially out of that area. I can name examples like that all over the northwoods where guys say big bucks “don’t exist” yet surprisingly excellent bucks were killed there.

I realize things are different up there and I don’t have near as much experience in recent years since I moved on different areas so my opinion may not matter but I still think a challenge up there would provide just another great opportunity to provide content that average guys who struggle in those areas would be able to relate to. As far as ratings and all that I’m a little conflicted by that. I thought these guys were in it for the love of the hunt with the journey being the main focus. If kills are all it’s about to gain ratings and sponsors then I think the real vision has been lost. Sorry to say that but that’s my thought on that.

If one guy killed a great buck in the challenge that would be awesome. I have zero doubt one of them could.
If not there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being humbled. The average viewer can obviously relate to that. I for one enjoy watching those types of hunts versus the whack em’ and stack em’ content. The real learning comes from the struggles. For so many that’s much more real world.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:25 am

I think the group would do better in the North woods than most think. It would be a challenge, and I think whether we killed bucks or not, some tactics would be showed that would help viewers learn a thing or 2.... With that said, nothing wrong with better destinations too... I think covering areas where viewers hunt helps those viewers.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:47 am

I would be pumped to see Indiana, it’s a great state with a ton of public land in the south, and it’s hill country so that would be awesome to learn. I’ll watch no matter where they go. I like to see the struggle, I like to see the success. The first couple of years I was kinda pessimistic like “ they won’t kill anything”, now I have changed and want them to kill stuff just to prove people like me wrong. That’s what was so awesome about Zach’s PA hunt last year, and Aaron’s Georgia Hunt. So many people say it can’t be done in those areas and they just go, hunt their butts off and get it done.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:43 am

I'd love to see a Northwoods or southern big woods challenge or a NH challenge or any challenge :lol:

I wonder if the Michigan challenge would have been different if there wasnt all that rain and flooding? I'm guessing that's what kept the hunting pressure lower :think:
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:29 pm

National Park Service and I believe National Forest Service have required commercial filming permits for a while now. I started working for the NPS in...2008 and it was required. Long before YouTube hunting videos took off. Heck, I don't think YouTube was even around period.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:35 pm

Dewey wrote:
HuntingParadise wrote:
Tim H wrote:

X2

X3 I would also rather see this. Norther Wi would be awesome, I'd say hwy 70 be the boundary everything north of that open for the challenge..
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:43 am

I still say come on down to south AR, MS or LA. Real challenge will be hunting in October and dealing with all the snakes, skeeters, gators and hogs!
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:21 am

austin1990 wrote:I still say come on down to south AR, MS or LA. Real challenge will be hunting in October and dealing with all the snakes, skeeters, gators and hogs!

This is where I'm at with it.

Love watching the vids but would love more to see them come down here and pit their skills against our unique conditions down here.

Sure the land features might not be much diffrent to up north but the ground cover and tree cover is much diffrent then what I see on these vids.

I often get a good chuckle when i see the guys say "it's so thick" and i know what their thick looks like compare to ours down here.

If LA I would say draw a line east/west through Fort Polk and hunt anything public north of that line.

Miss I would say anything along the river north to the la/mi/ark border.

Texas I would say anything along the river north to the arklatex area.

Ark I would like to see them try something around the Faulk area.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:32 am

A5BLASTER wrote:
austin1990 wrote:I still say come on down to south AR, MS or LA. Real challenge will be hunting in October and dealing with all the snakes, skeeters, gators and hogs!

Love watching the vids but would love more to see them come down here and pit their skills against our unique conditions down here.

Sure the land features might not be much diffrent to up north but the ground cover and tree cover is much diffrent then what I see on these vids.

I often get a good chuckle when i see the guys say "it's so thick" and i know what their thick looks like compare to ours down here.

If LA I would say draw a line east/west through Fort Polk and hunt anything public north of that line.

Yeah they're thick, ain't "thick" like I'm used to. If you can see more than 15 yards, you ain't in the "thick". East TX would be similar terrain and not one I thought of originally, just not sure on the amount of public land there.

You mean the fouke area? If so that would be a great base area, and millions of acres within 2-3 hour drive. Also a WIDE variety in terrain features within those couple hours. They could literally hunt any type of terrain you want to.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:56 am

austin1990 wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:

Yeah they're thick, ain't "thick" like I'm used to. If you can see more than 15 yards, you ain't in the "thick". East TX would be similar terrain and not one I thought of originally, just not sure on the amount of public land there.

You mean the fouke area? If so that would be a great base area, and millions of acres within 2-3 hour drive. Also a WIDE variety in terrain features within those couple hours. They could literally hunt any type of terrain you want to.

Yep sorry meant fouke. Dang spell check changed it to Faulk (duck calls).
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:38 am

Tsom wrote:They really ought to get up into the northeast with a little lower deer density.. it's a challenge right? :think: ;)

Would be interesting and helpful to see them in New England!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”