Joined a Lease Club

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Waddams

Joined a Lease Club

Unread postby Waddams » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:51 am

I managed to find an affordable lease to join. It's about 440 acres. 12 members total, half of which are 65-70+ guys that just like to hang out at camp and get away from their wives but don't really hunt much any more. It's in a Georgia county known for high deer population. There was sign all over just riding the dirt roads with the club manager. Even saw a four fingered track, and few does on the side of a road while riding around.

It's a mix of hardwoods and pine, a few smaller fields. Bordered by a public land reservoir/park with no hunting allowed, and a few other sides of 2-3 year old cutovers and agriculture. They have deer, hog, turkey. And it's really affordable. No set QDM rules, but they also don't want "if it's brown, it's down" shoot everything that comes through. I liked the guys I met, seems like a decent group of chaps in as much as one can tell from a few hours of time with them.

I might not get a big mature buck, but the camp has electricity, I can set up a big cabin tent and pop up pavilion for my camp, and I think be able to stock the freezer with venison a bit easier than the public land hunting I've been doing. I'm a happy dude right now.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Joined a Lease Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:21 am

Sounds pretty cool. There are some good podcasts from the Southern Outdoorsmen about hunting on busy leases… I can’t recall specific episode numbers, but it basically involves knowing where all those guys hunt, where the set stands are and then using that info to your advantage when figuring out where the deer will travel in response to that known pressure.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Waddams

Unread postby Waddams » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:59 am

greenhorndave wrote:Sounds pretty cool. There are some good podcasts from the Southern Outdoorsmen about hunting on busy leases… I can’t recall specific episode numbers, but it basically involves knowing where all those guys hunt, where the set stands are and then using that info to your advantage when figuring out where the deer will travel in response to that known pressure.

They had a pin in/pin out board with every stand/blind location shown. I took a pic and am going to make myself an aerial map with contours overlaid, and mark those stands and blinds. It's kind of late to be starting, but also at least walk the drivable roads and 4 wheeler trails, look for sign and old sign, and try to get an idea of where the deer like to travel. I might not go wandering through the woods more, don't want to lay down too much scent all over.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:08 am

8-)

Sounds like a good situation. Good luck with your season!
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:42 am

Sounds pretty awesome to me. It's rare to see big leasing groups like that up in the midwest. I think it's pretty cool if you can find like minded hunters.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:40 am

Good luck, I got in one like that one year. Found out after I’d paid my money that each guy had “their” spot and they didn’t want someone going outside of “my one” area. Each of “their areas” were setup with a blind or ladder stand over a feeder. Wasn’t my cup of tea.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:05 am

Sounds like a fun season is coming up for you.

Wether you mention it to others or not is up to you. Spending time "nature hiking " on that park next door will help understand that whole area. And herd. Exploring over there also keeps pressure off hunting grounds.

Visiting with an older group is a cool part of deer camp.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:49 am

Sounds pretty sweet to me. If your happy that's all that matters! Deer season is approaching fast. Good luck this season!
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:35 am

Good luck. Sounds like a pretty cool deal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”