Stands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Robbo

Stands

Unread postby Robbo » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:08 pm

Anyone go from stand to saddle then right back to stand? I still have a saddle but probably been in my hang on. Feel like I can hide better and sit still!

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Stands

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:19 pm

I use both.

Each is better for certain areas.
They are just a tool in the toolbox.
Being a 1 sticker i always carry a saddle with me.

I can bring 8 pounds 4 beast sticks. 8 pound stand and a 2 pound safety harness= 18 pounds this is just extra weight i don't need. This is why I dont ever bring just a stand. I need the saddle to 1stick.

Or a 2 pound stick and 2 pound saddle
8 pound beast stand n accessories. = 12 pounds. This is my everyday carry.

If its a really long way or I go through very thick timber I carry a saddle and 1 beast stick for a total of 4 pounds. This gets done several times a year.

I really like the option of having both on me.
If I see a big buck I can abandon stand and move saddle over. If I have both im not sitting the same way for hours and I don't get as sore. Plus I like the flexibility of being able to choose.

I don't think people should look at it as saddle vrs stand.
Each is a must for the mobile hunting I do.

I do think i move around more in a saddle.
However I haven't noticing it getting me busted.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:54 pm

I am going to be using the beast stand for archery, less weight than carrying a pack and platform, but will be using a ring of steps and treeshopper drill/bolts on private during rifle season for I can use the tree as a shooting brace
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:56 pm

I am going to be using the beast stand for archery, less weight than carrying a pack and platform, but will be using a ring of steps and treeshopper drill/bolts on private during rifle season for I can use the tree as a shooting brace
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:22 am

Yes, spent 4.5 seasons in a saddle but finally grew tired of trying to make it work mid season last year. Beast stand and climber from now on for me.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:15 am

Yeah I don't get why it needs to be one or the other. Use it like a tool in the toolbox. I use saddle...hang on....climber....would even use a ladderstand if needed to.

Not to mention just sitting on the ground.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Buckslayer#13

Unread postby Buckslayer#13 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:42 am

I hunt Louisiana were a lot of the trees are straight and all we use here is climbers. I’ve met one person here that uses a saddle and that’s it.
“And there came a voice to him, rise Peter; kill and eat”- Acts 10:13
TreeFreak

Unread postby TreeFreak » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:04 am

I may be one of the odd few on here. I started hunting out of a saddle in 2007. I used nothing but a saddle until 2019 and have been primarily using a LW stand since. I still use the saddle occasionally, but have found the LW tree stand to suite my hunting situations a lot better.
Buckslayer#13

Unread postby Buckslayer#13 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:30 am

Yeah those lw are sweet. One of my buddies has one and it packs so small. I have a aluminum ole man and I modified the teeth on it to grab the tree better. I really like it because I put a gun rack on the top bar so I can put my bow/gun on it and hang my backpack on one of the racks and when I climb up the tree I am set and don’t have to deal with dang bow ropes once I get set in the tree. I also put the backpack straps on the side so the stand sits horizontal with my body when i carry it. I strap my pack to the stand and it packs small enough. It’s pretty quiet and I’m about to get stealth strips for it.
“And there came a voice to him, rise Peter; kill and eat”- Acts 10:13
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:54 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:Yeah I don't get why it needs to be one or the other. Use it like a tool in the toolbox. I use saddle...hang on....climber....would even use a ladderstand if needed to.

Not to mention just sitting on the ground.

Amen to all that
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:14 am

I havent used a stand yet but Ive like the saddle so far when using it. Feel like I have more versatility of trees to use and I can hide behind the tree to move if I need to for a shot or just antsy. Been looking at stands and may pull the trigger on one next yaer.
buckcrappie
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jeff.handly

Unread postby buckcrappie » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:27 am

I HAVE TRIED BOTH ... WITH MUCH MORE TIME IN A STAND. WITH THAT SAID ... I AM BETTER OUT OF A FIXED STAND ... HANDS DOWN. WHEN ITS TIME TO KILL I NEED AS MANY THINGS IN MY FAVOR AS I CAN GET!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:40 am

I have every option available. Hang on stands, climbing stands, saddles, pop up blinds, ground hunting chairs…….basically whatever it takes.

Ever see a good mechanic that only has one tool? :think:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:49 am

buckcrappie wrote:I HAVE TRIED BOTH ... WITH MUCH MORE TIME IN A STAND. WITH THAT SAID ... I AM BETTER OUT OF A FIXED STAND ... HANDS DOWN. WHEN ITS TIME TO KILL I NEED AS MANY THINGS IN MY FAVOR AS I CAN GET!!

Why are you yelling :lol: :lol:
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:42 am

I honestly prefer my saddle over my assault. I have gotten pretty comfortable with it over the past few years, but I have been seriously thinking about bringing my climber back into the picture since I have so many straight trees in my neck of the woods. The main advantage would be that it's basically like a recliner, and I can be up a tree in literally 2 minutes, compared to 10-15 (in an actual hunting situation) with my saddle.

Like Dewey mentioned, there is a place for everything, even though I haven't used my assault since I got my saddle, I definitely won't get rid of it simply because I invested in a heater body suit this year, and can't use it out of my saddle.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”