Crazy Opening Weekend Strategy?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Crazy Opening Weekend Strategy?

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:48 am

It depends.

If it is small pieces of public where the deer get bumped on to private, I would consider it. But then you don’t know who may be accessing it from private. These are reasons I choose to hunt large pieces of public (I know this may not be a choice as you have to hunt what is close to you)

For the most part. You will be much better off figuring out how the deer are reacting and adapting to the pressure. If you are finding that other hunters being in the woods is muddying up your spots, you don’t have the right spots.

I find that even with a ton of pressure, bucks won’t leave their core. They make micro adjustments based on the type of pressure but they don’t go anywhere. This is speaking for mature bucks that have shifted into their fall core and are living within large pieces of public with high pressure.

I think a lot of guys struggle early season because the bucks shift their bedding and movement patterns once everyone hits the woods. Those bucks that were daylighting and feeding in areas where we could glass them or get daylight cam pics become nocturnal areas or they move a long distance to reach their fall/rut core. But once you know where they shift to, it’s clockwork for the most part.

I am not saying your idea is bad, I have done similar when hunting new states. But on my home turf, I am going to have a pretty good idea of what’s what and the more guys that pile in the woods, my spots usually just get better and better…

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Leibinger

Unread postby Leibinger » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:51 am

Thanks for the feedback. I think the takeaway for me is like most things deer hunting, it’s very specific to your situation. Also, not everyone has the time that I will have during hunting season to implement such a strategy.

For vast tracts of public with designated parking locations, I do agree, and feel it would be a waste of time trying to determine which areas are being hit. In my situation, the target would be those small to medium size pieces (plenty of them) where access is from a pull off or side of the road. It may be something to try for a season or two and then re-evaluate.

Appreciate it.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:00 pm

I feel like guessing where someone hunts by where they park would be like driving through a mall parking lot and guessing which store everyone is in by which stall they pick. Could be anywhere and id rather have a few setups picked on the way to a location and just hunt accordingly. The last couple years the opener really gets pounded but then it seems pretty quiet again after that til rut, especially last year with so many people having more time to hunt. Best of luck to you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”