Any advice? Lexington KY

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Any advice? Lexington KY

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:00 pm

Heading to Lexington KY for opening week. I am from SE Wisconsin. I understand most of the basics but I am looking to make the most out of this trip. I will be heading to Daniel Boone. I have some aerial spots picked out but I am looking to see what some good food sources are. Any tips at all? Appreciate any. Thanks fellow beasts.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Any advice? Lexington KY

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:14 pm

It's mating season for bears so they will be moving around.
The young males have been thrown out by the bigger males and are headed west. They are being reported as far west as
Elizabethtown and Southern Indiana.

Timber Rattlesnakes are also quite common in the Boone so I'd suggest a good pair of snake boots or chaps.

It will be extremely rocky , steep slopes and very rough terrain. Not sure how much you have hunted or scouted that type of terrain but it will really pack a punch. If you have never been in the areas you have marked they may be way harder to access then you imagine. I was surprised last year in the region some of my markings would have taken me 5-6 hours each way to reach.

I'd suggest carrying way more socks then you think you will need. Last year I went through 4 pair in a day from burrs , and sweat hunting Owen County.

If you have never hunted the mountains.
You may or may not have cell reception in event of a broken leg or animal attack.

Gl in Kentucky this fall.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tsimms

Re: Any advice? Lexington KY

Unread postby Tsimms » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:51 am

Are you staying in Lexington I assume? As stated above is what you can expect. West of there is the Green River Lake WMA. Check it out. More and bigger deer and easier hunting in my opinion. My buddy owns a big farm outside Columbia and we sometimes go hunt public.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”