Spartan fordge mapping app

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BA-IV

Re: Spartan fordge mapping app

Unread postby BA-IV » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:33 am

Just to be clear, Spartan forge is doing something that is one of a kind. They are combining gps studies from around the country, deer biologist fetus studies, car accident reports, and a multitude of others to determine best time for peak breeding, along with moon, wind, and weather.

I also am super impressed with the owners passion for what he’s doing. The podcasts are great and it’s opened my eyes to what a lot of bigger mature deer are doing here in the south. It’s stuff I’ve seen, second guessed, because it wasn’t the normal. There won’t ever be a magic pill, but at some point when is enough to much? With technology advancing at a rapid pace, I’m sure in ten years we can look back, and this will be the tip of the iceberg. Some people say ozonics is to much or cheating. It’s all I what you believe, and how far you want to take it.

mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:05 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:I have no problem with this product or anyone who purchases it. But man I just seems like everyone in the hunting industry even the hard core public guys are looking for some kind of easy pill. The hard work, the instincts, the woodsmanship, when it all comes together, that is what makes it so great. Thats the journey, that’s the challenge. Not getting a picture from a cell cam, not having an app tell you when to be in the woods. It’s just getting crazy. Again not knocking on anyone if what you are doing is legal, but non of this stuff is for me. The struggle is what makes the success so sweet.

Agree with this 100%. I've run a bunch of traditional trail cameras in the past, but I'm done with that. Compound bow and rangefinder even feels like too much sometimes. I enjoy the hunting, woodsmanship, and these days, the mystery of what's out there more than the size of the buck.

With that said, that's me and what works for me. If it's legal, other people can use whatever they want, no judgment here.

Im not looking for a magic bullet, i just heard it mentioned and was curious. Didnt know people had such strong feelings about it. I believe in boot leather as well but the technology is here, im sure people who had to use paper maps feel the same way about onx and everyone has that. One thing is for sure they will never make an easy pill to kill wild animals no matter how much they try.

I have nothing against you or anyone that uses it. It just kinda seems weird to me that the same guys who would never pay to hunt deer in an enclosure or a guided hunt, will purchase every tech advantage that there is. At some point the industry and the hunting communities need to have a long conversation about what is actually fare chase. I don’t think this app crosses the line, I personally do think that cell cams cross the line. Again that is me personally, People use them where they are legal, fine. I am thankful that most states outlawed drones, because people would take advantage of that if it were legal, and I think it crosses the line.

Some of the guys that have been working on this app are the most proficient killers, why do they need the app? Some of those guys are killing 4+ mature buck a year, do they really need something else that gives them an advantage over the deer.

Also, my personal belief, but I don’t think this app will help new hunters, I think it will hurt their learning curve. They will rely on it and they will not learn the deer, their behavior, the woodsman-ship skills.

Brokenarrow I have no bad thoughts towards you, I hope you kill a monster this year, and if the app helps, then great. I am just giving my feelings in general about the direction of technology in hunting.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:52 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:
Brokenarrow1980 wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:I have no problem with this product or anyone who purchases it. But man I just seems like everyone in the hunting industry even the hard core public guys are looking for some kind of easy pill. The hard work, the instincts, the woodsmanship, when it all comes together, that is what makes it so great. Thats the journey, that’s the challenge. Not getting a picture from a cell cam, not having an app tell you when to be in the woods. It’s just getting crazy. Again not knocking on anyone if what you are doing is legal, but non of this stuff is for me. The struggle is what makes the success so sweet.

Agree with this 100%. I've run a bunch of traditional trail cameras in the past, but I'm done with that. Compound bow and rangefinder even feels like too much sometimes. I enjoy the hunting, woodsmanship, and these days, the mystery of what's out there more than the size of the buck.

With that said, that's me and what works for me. If it's legal, other people can use whatever they want, no judgment here.

Im not looking for a magic bullet, i just heard it mentioned and was curious. Didnt know people had such strong feelings about it. I believe in boot leather as well but the technology is here, im sure people who had to use paper maps feel the same way about onx and everyone has that. One thing is for sure they will never make an easy pill to kill wild animals no matter how much they try.

I have nothing against you or anyone that uses it. It just kinda seems weird to me that the same guys who would never pay to hunt deer in an enclosure or a guided hunt, will purchase every tech advantage that there is. At some point the industry and the hunting communities need to have a long conversation about what is actually fare chase. I don’t think this app crosses the line, I personally do think that cell cams cross the line. Again that is me personally, People use them where they are legal, fine. I am thankful that most states outlawed drones, because people would take advantage of that if it were legal, and I think it crosses the line.

Some of the guys that have been working on this app are the most proficient killers, why do they need the app? Some of those guys are killing 4+ mature buck a year, do they really need something else that gives them an advantage over the deer.

Also, my personal belief, but I don’t think this app will help new hunters, I think it will hurt their learning curve. They will rely on it and they will not learn the deer, their behavior, the woodsman-ship skills.

Brokenarrow I have no bad thoughts towards you, I hope you kill a monster this year, and if the app helps, then great. I am just giving my feelings in general about the direction of technology in hunting.

I personally don't have the app, i was just curious thats all. I am more old school but i do have onx and i just purchased a cell camera so im starting to use technology i suppose. I hope you kill a monster too man!!!
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:57 pm

I think that, long term, this type of technology, cell camera technology, mapping technology and any new tech will lead to improved hunting(kill percentage) on private lands but will adversely affect all public lands. The easier it is for all guys to kill deer, the fewer bucks will survive very long on public.

I think the decline has already happened in most places since the advent of trail cameras and onXmaps. Now cell cams and A.I. in deer hunting. I'm not into it.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:34 pm

The data and all is cool, but the preview Andy May had on IG, it has the best detailed maps I have seen anywhere IMO
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:04 am

I completely understand the initial concerns regarding the app and technology but I don't think this app will be a real issue. The app is mapping (similar to OnX), weather forecast, historical weather, wind mapping, a journal feature, and the movement prediction. The movement prediction is not much different than the apps that area already out there, deercast, huntwise, etc except for the fact it pulls info from real live deer studies instead of some guys opinion that's hunting highly managed unpressured deer. IMO it's not as useful to the highly pressured land hunter as hunting pressure trumps all. It may help the guy hunting unpressured private land looking to shoot "any deer"as it doesn't discern from deer vs mature bucks. I personally find the prediction interesting from a learning aspect but will not use it that much but others may find it useful. I will use the mapping (as we all do), the weather forecast, the historical weather, and the journal feature. Kinda cool to have that stuff all in one place. I don't think this app gives me any discernible advantage but it was a fun project to work on. The journal piece is what I wanted in there because I've kept a detailed hunting journal for 24 years and this will make it easier. The maps are very good. Other guys like DIY Sportsman have had some input on the app as well. I'm as concerned as anyone regarding technology and seeing it reduce opportunity. I'm not convinced cell cams should be legal and wouldn't cry if trail cams in general were outlawed. Same with Ozone. I try not to judge because I certainly run regular trail cams, use a high tech bow/sight, ect so I can see how that can be taken as hypocritical. We all have to draw our own line. If I thought this app would give someone an unfair advantage I wouldn't support it.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:46 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:The maps are very good. Other guys like DIY Sportsman have had some input on the app as well. I'm as concerned as anyone regarding technology and seeing it reduce opportunity. I'm not convinced cell cams should be legal and wouldn't cry if trail cams in general were outlawed. Same with Ozone. I try not to judge because I certainly run regular trail cams, use a high tech bow/sight, ect so I can see how that can be taken as hypocritical. We all have to draw our own line. If I thought this app would give someone an unfair advantage I wouldn't support it.

Yeah DIYS posted some really nice map shots and it says that winter ariels are priority (which iv wanted for years and OnX has done well w that).

Not to steer the conversation but I feel the same way about the cams/ozonics lol

Either way I dont see why ppl would worry about a hunting app... OnX didnt replace my actual scouting app. Scoutlook used to be the best weather app and they sold to Huntstand. Now Basemap is out w their cool features. The hot app last time was the Drury app after the shot info. I am intrigued by this new app and will try it for sure but OnX is one of the best apps iv ever used. Well worth the money! Maybe this one will be too.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:48 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:I completely understand the initial concerns regarding the app and technology but I don't think this app will be a real issue. The app is mapping (similar to OnX), weather forecast, historical weather, wind mapping, a journal feature, and the movement prediction. The movement prediction is not much different than the apps that area already out there, deercast, huntwise, etc except for the fact it pulls info from real live deer studies instead of some guys opinion that's hunting highly managed unpressured deer. IMO it's not as useful to the highly pressured land hunter as hunting pressure trumps all. It may help the guy hunting unpressured private land looking to shoot "any deer"as it doesn't discern from deer vs mature bucks. I personally find the prediction interesting from a learning aspect but will not use it that much but others may find it useful. I will use the mapping (as we all do), the weather forecast, the historical weather, and the journal feature. Kinda cool to have that stuff all in one place. I don't think this app gives me any discernible advantage but it was a fun project to work on. The journal piece is what I wanted in there because I've kept a detailed hunting journal for 24 years and this will make it easier. The maps are very good. Other guys like DIY Sportsman have had some input on the app as well. I'm as concerned as anyone regarding technology and seeing it reduce opportunity. I'm not convinced cell cams should be legal and wouldn't cry if trail cams in general were outlawed. Same with Ozone. I try not to judge because I certainly run regular trail cams, use a high tech bow/sight, ect so I can see how that can be taken as hypocritical. We all have to draw our own line. If I thought this app would give someone an unfair advantage I wouldn't support it.

Excited to hear it has a journal feature. I have wanted to do this the past couple years but always seem to forget to type it or write it when I get home. Will it just be a typing format? I am not a programmer so I do not know the difficulty, but it would be great if you could record your voice into the journal feature. That probably uses a lot more storage however.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:32 pm

I checked it out because I saw Garrett plugging it. I yakked in my mouth when I read through the website with all the founders' visions. When is tech too much? I don't know but when we start to throw around AI and predictive analytics and yada yada all the same BS I have to hear at work 50 hours a week, no thanks. Do I actually think that vision will ever be more than marginally useful, definite not in my lifetime. But if this is indeed the future of hunting and fishing catch me on the golf course, I'd rather be there than playing some cheap video game version of hunting. Humans suck, take it upon us to try to ruin one of the last pure things on earth with our stupid algorithms.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Bentstraight

Unread postby Bentstraight » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:51 pm

elk yinzer wrote:I checked it out because I saw Garrett plugging it. I yakked in my mouth when I read through the website with all the founders' visions. When is tech too much? I don't know but when we start to throw around AI and predictive analytics and yada yada all the same BS I have to hear at work 50 hours a week, no thanks. Do I actually think that vision will ever be more than marginally useful, definite not in my lifetime. But if this is indeed the future of hunting and fishing catch me on the golf course, I'd rather be there than playing some cheap video game version of hunting. Humans suck, take it upon us to try to ruin one of the last pure things on earth with our stupid algorithms.

Hear. Hear
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:59 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:

Same here. The more other people rely on technology, the more I feel like trading it all in for a long bow.

Good friend of mine just said they’re going to cell cams. “Now the problem is, if a big one shows up who goes after it?”

That’s not for me. I’ll be in the woods, most likely alone, reading sign…
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:59 pm

I completely agree. It’s the craziest thing imaginable. Ask hunters why they hunt and you typically hear for the challenge. Then in the next breath they do everything possible to remove the challenge. Manufacturers prey on this sickness. I don’t blame them, they just give the people what they want. Seems hardcore hunters want more results and less hunting. Product pushers would auction their mothers soul for a easy hundred. We live in a everyone deserves a big buck society. If it’s to hard we will just grow them one and let them shoot it in a pen. Think we are all hypocritical I mean I run standard cams and log jam ridges to get deer to do what I want. The difference with me is I know I’m hypocritical, some just don’t have a clue or draw no line in the sand.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:03 pm

elk yinzer wrote:I checked it out because I saw Garrett plugging it. I yakked in my mouth when I read through the website with all the founders' visions. When is tech too much? I don't know but when we start to throw around AI and predictive analytics and yada yada all the same BS I have to hear at work 50 hours a week, no thanks. Do I actually think that vision will ever be more than marginally useful, definite not in my lifetime. But if this is indeed the future of hunting and fishing catch me on the golf course, I'd rather be there than playing some cheap video game version of hunting. Humans suck, take it upon us to try to ruin one of the last pure things on earth with our stupid algorithms.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:49 am

Some good thoughts and sentiments here. The discussion focus is on the AI movement prediction, though that will be just one piece, and I believe there will be an option that is less money and just includes the mapping piece and no prediction. Like Andy mentioned, you can journal, which is text based, but your phone keypad might allow you to use talk to text, and you can attach photos, record info about deer you saw, time/weather auto-tagged etc. The weather forecast includes temp and pressure, expressed as text and graphically. Moon overhead/underfoot times for the present day and sunrise/sunset for the forecast, and you can expand a specific day to see how the wind will change throughout that day.

Historical tab allows you to look at a wind rose and temp data for various time stretches, for instance if you wanted to plan a trip out of state, you could look at the temp info and wind rose for the month of November. And then you've got the mapping itself. It won't have all of the layers and say, an OnX, but many of the key ones, with the goal to try and add to those based on feedback and desires from the group. Many of those things can also be found elsewhere, but it'll be nice to have it all in one place. Those functions are more valuable to me personally than the prediction piece, though that has served as a "do we dive into a risky bedding area sit or funnel 150 yards back" or "maybe do one more observation sit before moving in" especially when hunting general deer, not a specific buck per se. There's more variability in mature buck data. But I have no issues if guys think that this type of tech is going too far.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:06 am

Im all for not using anything technical, I've been doing this forever. This year om getting back in the saddle and i bought my first cell cam. This data is great but you still have to beat a deers senses to kill it. My cell cam worked great for a few days now it needs a update and wont work lol. I still count on my boots on the ground scouting for hot sign to kill deer.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”