WI Archery Season 2021!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: WI Archery Season 2021!

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:54 am

Jonny wrote:
Autiger wrote:
Jonny wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:
Jonny wrote:And just scored permission on 300 acres of company property in Waukesha county.

Pretty sure it’s pressured quite a bit, but I’ve seen a fair amount of deer driving through there before.

I used to hunt some private in Waukesha Cty north of Mukwonago that butted up against unhuntable subdivision land. Some of the nicest bucks ive had an opportunity to hunt, some real studs around that property.

Hope that 300 acres holds a couple nice ones! Id be excited if i were you too.

I’m up near Sussex. Lots of unhuntable land around as well. The loader operator told me he sees a few guys that have permission and have stands hanging, but he’s seen some real nice ones cruising the pit floor. They like running along side his loader.

I’m from the Hartland area originally but live in downtown MKE. My brother camps and fishes some quarries in the Merton/Sussex area off Plainview since his best friends family owns the land and had owned Spancrete before it sold. If always thought about inquiring about getting permission, but it’s his friend and I’ve only met him a couple of times.

Always worth asking but generally it seems like you really need to know the right people. I’m lucky with what I do that not only does my company own the most (or second most depending on the year) private land in the state, but I regularly deal and work with companies who also own a lot of land. And any property we own, is hunted hard. I’m actually stunned I’m even being considered for this property considering some of the ones I got turned down for. Still waiting for final approval and I wouldn’t be surprised if it fell through. I’m like 0-15 on properties I actually manage the operations at. And this one I currently don’t.

Plainview huh?

That’s wild. Kind of shocking actually. So you’re getting shot down even with a potential “in” that’s significantly better than just about anyone could ever imagine.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:03 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Autiger wrote:
Jonny wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:
Jonny wrote:And just scored permission on 300 acres of company property in Waukesha county.

Pretty sure it’s pressured quite a bit, but I’ve seen a fair amount of deer driving through there before.

I used to hunt some private in Waukesha Cty north of Mukwonago that butted up against unhuntable subdivision land. Some of the nicest bucks ive had an opportunity to hunt, some real studs around that property.

Hope that 300 acres holds a couple nice ones! Id be excited if i were you too.

I’m up near Sussex. Lots of unhuntable land around as well. The loader operator told me he sees a few guys that have permission and have stands hanging, but he’s seen some real nice ones cruising the pit floor. They like running along side his loader.

I’m from the Hartland area originally but live in downtown MKE. My brother camps and fishes some quarries in the Merton/Sussex area off Plainview since his best friends family owns the land and had owned Spancrete before it sold. If always thought about inquiring about getting permission, but it’s his friend and I’ve only met him a couple of times.

Always worth asking but generally it seems like you really need to know the right people. I’m lucky with what I do that not only does my company own the most (or second most depending on the year) private land in the state, but I regularly deal and work with companies who also own a lot of land. And any property we own, is hunted hard. I’m actually stunned I’m even being considered for this property considering some of the ones I got turned down for. Still waiting for final approval and I wouldn’t be surprised if it fell through. I’m like 0-15 on properties I actually manage the operations at. And this one I currently don’t.

Plainview huh?

That’s wild. Kind of shocking actually. So you’re getting shot down even with a potential “in” that’s significantly better than just about anyone could ever imagine.

Yep. But we restrict the number of hunters on each property and on most of them I was told I have to wait for someone to quit hunting them. My only issue is we give permission to workers family members and friends instead of just workers and neighbors. But I don’t write the rules, and always have plenty of public so it doesn’t really bother me.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:27 am

Usually I am just chomping at the bit for opening day. For some reason I am not there yet. I think a big part of it is getting over Covid still. Just don’t have my energy back. I don’t think I can go trek thru the swamp and thick stuff yet. Also my work is busy and am coaching football nearly every night. I am just drained. Hopefully my energy and desire comes back soon. Not trying to be a Debbie downer here, just answering the question.

Good luck to you boys this weekend!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:34 am

Chuck B wrote:Usually I am just chomping at the bit for opening day. For some reason I am not there yet. I think a big part of it is getting over Covid still. Just don’t have my energy back. I don’t think I can go trek thru the swamp and thick stuff yet. Also my work is busy and am coaching football nearly every night. I am just drained. Hopefully my energy and desire comes back soon. Not trying to be a Debbie downer here, just answering the question.

Yeah, come back when you know you’re ready. There will still be deer in the woods. ;)

The last thing you want to do is put pressure on yourself too early and actually get burnout from hunting. The rut’s still a ways away.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:06 am

I’ve learned to take a break if i’m burned out or just not feeling it. As much as i love bowhunting it’s a long season and it can become a grind.

Usually skipping a weekend and hanging out with the family doing what my wife wants is enough to get me feeling the itch again wondering what i missed out in the swamps.

Plus, once daylight savings comes along i almost never am able to get out after work anymore which sucks so that drives me during the early part of the season too.

Best of luck Chuck whenever it is you get going!
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:25 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Chuck B wrote:Usually I am just chomping at the bit for opening day. For some reason I am not there yet. I think a big part of it is getting over Covid still. Just don’t have my energy back. I don’t think I can go trek thru the swamp and thick stuff yet. Also my work is busy and am coaching football nearly every night. I am just drained. Hopefully my energy and desire comes back soon. Not trying to be a Debbie downer here, just answering the question.

Yeah, come back when you know you’re ready. There will still be deer in the woods. ;)

The last thing you want to do is put pressure on yourself too early and actually get burnout from hunting. The rut’s still a ways away.

Right on. Just going to have to be my approach this year. Will be living through you guys here on the Beast
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:19 am

Saturday is fast approaching and I feel like I’m scrambling. A trip to Greece last month put me way behind. My custom arrows never came so I threw together some heavy 690 grain arrows, dialed in a new sight tape yesterday and it’s good to 40-45 yards. My stealth strips just arrived and I’ll be applying those to my new Helo and sticks tomorrow. I don’t have a great plan for Saturday but it is check oaks for sign and setup, Sunday will be push a little further to a water source with the high temps forecasted and pray. Next weekend I’ll dive into the cattails.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:09 pm

Autiger wrote:Saturday is fast approaching and I feel like I’m scrambling. A trip to Greece last month put me way behind. My custom arrows never came so I threw together some heavy 690 grain arrows, dialed in a new sight tape yesterday and it’s good to 40-45 yards. My stealth strips just arrived and I’ll be applying those to my new Helo and sticks tomorrow. I don’t have a great plan for Saturday but it is check oaks for sign and setup, Sunday will be push a little further to a water source with the high temps forecasted and pray. Next weekend I’ll dive into the cattails.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

Never fails how ya just can’t quite be ready enough. I was splicing some new amsteel onto my steps just today and still need to pull my stands and platforms out from my storage above the garage. But i’ll be out Sat for sure.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Cranking up the heat and humidity just in time for the opener. I’m sure that’ll keep the hunting pressure way down.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:20 pm

Dewey wrote:Cranking up the heat and humidity just in time for the opener. I’m sure that’ll keep the hunting pressure way down.

Fingers crossed. I’ll trade heat for light pressure anytime.
----------
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:18 am

Only 2 more days fellow Wisconsin Beasts!
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:31 am

I’m stoked! Saturday evening I’m heading to a marsh I scouted last spring and located buck beds. They should be feeding on the acorns on the ridge next to me. The tree I picked out is about 40 yards from the closest bed, so I’ll have to be stealthy :pray:
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:11 am

They changed the Hi from 88 to 72 on Saturday. Warm front not supposed to come thru until Sunday now
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:24 am

I'm just itching to get out. The wind forecast is changing my plans up a little. Im probably going to end up scouting alot during the day and finding a good spot. Glassed a decent buck last weekend just off public and that spot I can get into with the predicted wind. Season is finally here! Good luck fellow wisconsinites
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:22 am

The weather forecast for Saturday is looking MUCH nicer than it was a few days ago. Only thing to complain about is how still it will be, going to have to be extremely stealthy moving in!
Man I'm so excited to be back out there. Does anyone ever come up with a professional estimate on how many bow hunters go out opening weekend?
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”