Nebraska public

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Re: Nebraska public

Unread postby Moose » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:44 am

It seems like alot of questions have came up lately on scouting new areas right before season. In my mind once you scout it that close to opening day your scent is already all over the place so that would be considered your first sit. Wouldn't you be better off scouting your way in on opening day and setting up on fresh sign? I know it's public but if your scouting areas that no one goes "hopefully" then you just kinda ruined that spot with your scent. Am I over thinking something? Or what am I not understanding about scouting so close to the season opener. If anyone can clarify my thinking I would appreciate it.
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:56 am

Good episode. Just need to do something about the audio. Can’t hardly hear some parts and blow my speakers on other parts.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:19 am

Good episode! Can't wait to see some hunting. Nebraska is a tough public land state imo. Quite a bit of pressure due to a low percentage of public and a fair amount of non residents coming for an early opener and otc tags( like I have a couple times) Looks like you found some good deer sign. Was hoping you would stay out west just for the views sure is beautiful out there. Good luck on your hunt!
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:23 am

Moose wrote:It seems like alot of questions have came up lately on scouting new areas right before season. In my mind once you scout it that close to opening day your scent is already all over the place so that would be considered your first sit. Wouldn't you be better off scouting your way in on opening day and setting up on fresh sign? I know it's public but if your scouting areas that no one goes "hopefully" then you just kinda ruined that spot with your scent. Am I over thinking something? Or what am I not understanding about scouting so close to the season opener. If anyone can clarify my thinking I would appreciate it.

Good questions. Personally, I would think waiting, then going in scouting and finding the sign and hanging a stand would be better served if done when season opens, but I also understand the need to find out if the area is decent enough to even bother with in the first place.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:25 am

Good job Josh. Looking forward to the next installment.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:59 am

Good luck Josh. Your getting me anxious I leave for Nebraska the 23rd.
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:37 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Moose wrote:It seems like alot of questions have came up lately on scouting new areas right before season. In my mind once you scout it that close to opening day your scent is already all over the place so that would be considered your first sit. Wouldn't you be better off scouting your way in on opening day and setting up on fresh sign? I know it's public but if your scouting areas that no one goes "hopefully" then you just kinda ruined that spot with your scent. Am I over thinking something? Or what am I not understanding about scouting so close to the season opener. If anyone can clarify my thinking I would appreciate it.

Good questions. Personally, I would think waiting, then going in scouting and finding the sign and hanging a stand would be better served if done when season opens, but I also understand the need to find out if the area is decent enough to even bother with in the first place.

I am on other side of the fence with this one. Going in and scouting covertly, ie just not stomping around, almost like your still hunting it is not going to run a (most) mature buck out of the area as long as he doesn’t get two of the three senses on you. He can see you or smell you or hear you.
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:07 am

Guess what I was trying to say is not all scent is the same in my opinion. Ground scent isn’t as bad as a deer actually smelling you when you are there, especially if your ground scent is discovered at night
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 am

I think with out of state hunts time is your biggest issue, it's a gamble to pre scout but you want to be on deer right away, unlike your home state where you have all season and can make adjustments. Every out of state hunt I've done the time just flew by.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:42 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:

I think with out of state hunts time is your biggest issue, it's a gamble to pre scout but you want to be on deer right away, unlike your home state where you have all season and can make adjustments. Every out of state hunt I've done the time just flew by.

I can definitely understand that. Scent has been pounded into my head so much that my thinking is, scouting just a few days before opening day would hurt you more then help you. I understand what Josh is doing but then again wouldn't that hurt his odds with his scent in there now?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Good luck in Nebraska enjoyed the episode.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:54 pm

I feel your frustration when every time you find a great looking spot there will be a treestand. I had the same experience on Nebraska public finding or two already there and lately there is usually a camera as well.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:35 am

I think this is the hardest thing to figure out and understand for a lot of hunters, myself included. If you read enough you will see how scent affects mature bucks and your first time in is your best time. I think it all really depends on how close to bedding you get and how deep you get. if you're walking around his bedroom he is not going to stay but if your in a oak flat with a little scent I don't think its has big of issue or you're scouting field edges just looking for sign I don't think it bothers them much. They are used to smelling scent there.

Lets just say you do go to deep and you push a buck off, if you let the area cool you have a chance for another buck to come in and use that spot
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:47 am

Moose wrote:
Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:

I can definitely understand that. Scent has been pounded into my head so much that my thinking is, scouting just a few days before opening day would hurt you more then help you. I understand what Josh is doing but then again wouldn't that hurt his odds with his scent in there now?

I think he is going about it the right way. For a out of state hunt.
My first year hunting ne I was way too laid back worrying about my scent too much. Took 5-6 days to get into good deer. Ended up eating my tag because I didn't cover enough ground fast enough. Last year I dove in just covering ground as fast as I could till I ran into something. Shot my 9 point on the 3rd or 4th day don't remember now. You can't hunt what is not there. Only way to find out what is there go do some door knocking. Out of state blind hunts just gotta cover ground, gonna blow acouple out in the process but it all comes together eventually.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”