Kansas bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

naternate

Kansas bedding

Unread postby naternate » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:06 pm

Headed to Kansas this year for the first time. I have done a ton of e-scouting but I have never hunted this terrain/habitat. Hunting the north central region which doesn't have large blocks of timber. Mostly crop fields, pasture, and creek drainages. Problem is, I can't look at the map and have even a decent idea of where deer (bucks and does) will bed. Not a lot of talk of bedding for this type of terrain. I know a lot of guys scout funnels for sign but I would really like to know what bedding looks like in these areas. I will be hunting Nov 10-20 so probably more concerned with where doe groups will be bedded. I think my hunts will probably be hunting some type of funnel in the AM-mid day and possibly doe travel corridors to feed in evening. Plan on doing a lot of scouting. Find some areas to glass in the AM to figure out how deer use the terrain. Any tips to start narrowing this down. Including a sample of what I will be working with. This piece actually has more timber than most. Thanks for any comments
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MinKan

Re: Kansas bedding

Unread postby MinKan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:14 am

I would turn on the topo function for your maps and treat these open areas as swamps. Look for low lying areas in the big CRP fields. Deer can can completely disappear with only a couple feet of elevation change and you can't see it with the naked eye (bring good binos to scout from afar). Also, look for lone tree clumps in the wide open spaces. They don't always bed there but they often make a point to pass by those trees when traveling in the open. Very common to find rubs and or scrapes in those small tree islands. Outside of that I would say don't be scared to use the rattling antlers to try to catch a cruising bucks attention. Goodluck!
naternate

Unread postby naternate » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:23 am

Thanks for the reply! That is a very interesting way to look at it. Out of habit I have looked for the higher elevation features to glass from or maybe for bedding….will look at those CRP/pastures for the areas they hide
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:26 am

I would look at it along the lines of escape routes/cover. Back track from those areas to places that are off to the side. Washes/drainages should be good as well. I would go as far to say just go walking and flush some deer up to see what they’re holding to.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”