My Hunting “Journal”

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckharasser150

My Hunting “Journal”

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:42 am

Here, I will post my hunting stories as I go throughout the season, and things I learn along the way. May or may not include pictures. I am from central MN. This will be my first year hunting public, and my first out of state hunting as well! I got 4 tags for Wisconsin. (Bow and rifle) Got my permit late, and I have brother in Wisconsin, so have to meet him which limits my hunt time in Wisconsin. Overall I’m excited for my first year of Beast style hunting and excited to share with whoever is interested! Also I have no friends who have the drive to hunt the way I do… If anyone is in similar boat, how to deal with that? I enjoy hunting with buddies, but sucks when I want to go mile in swamp and they wanna sit over food plot :/

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Scott29
Facebook: Ryan Scott bottlemy

Re: My Hunting “Journal”

Unread postby Scott29 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:08 am

I'm in Wisconsin and I have the same thing with all my buddies want to sit the same stand. They just don't have the same desire for adventure that I do . I'm out scouting a different place every weekend. Good luck to you this season.
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:47 am

Scott29 wrote:I'm in Wisconsin and I have the same thing with all my buddies want to sit the same stand. They just don't have the same desire for adventure that I do . I'm out scouting a different place every weekend. Good luck to you this season.

The amount of knowledge to learn by hunting different areas every sit is not even matchable. What makes the style we love so great!
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
Scott29
Facebook: Ryan Scott bottlemy

Unread postby Scott29 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:53 am

I agree. I learn something everytime I go out.
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:09 am

Buckharasser150 wrote:Here, I will post my hunting stories as I go throughout the season, and things I learn along the way. May or may not include pictures. I am from central MN. This will be my first year hunting public, and my first out of state hunting as well! I got 4 tags for Wisconsin. (Bow and rifle) Got my permit late, and I have brother in Wisconsin, so have to meet him which limits my hunt time in Wisconsin. Overall I’m excited for my first year of Beast style hunting and excited to share with whoever is interested! Also I have no friends who have the drive to hunt the way I do… If anyone is in similar boat, how to deal with that? I enjoy hunting with buddies, but sucks when I want to go mile in swamp and they wanna sit over food plot :/

Why do you have to meet your brother?

If you have doe tags they have to be unit specific by county in that unit, is that what you mean by limiting?

Good luck and believe what you see as far as sign. Don't second guess yourself and since you will have limited time be aggressive.
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:16 am

PApublic1187 wrote:
Scott29 wrote:I'm in Wisconsin and I have the same thing with all my buddies want to sit the same stand. They just don't have the same desire for adventure that I do . I'm out scouting a different place every weekend. Good luck to you this season.

The amount of knowledge to learn by hunting different areas every sit is not even matchable. What makes the style we love so great!

Would u agree that casting a different lure every single cast while fishing offers the same benefit? I mean what do u learn by such a scenario? Something finally did what u wanted and now it’s the way to go? There isn’t no great knowledge that any chosen ones have been gifted by god. It’s about free time, common sense, and having access to a good area. You think I’m full of it fine. But ask folks to show their target buck b4 the season starts! Watch how that goes… Easy to look back through thousands of buck pics after the fact! Easy to request a pic from the expensive outfitter one just paid off. But how come nobody calls there shot upfront? I don’t even hunt a specific buck and I will play.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:31 am

Jurist wrote:
Buckharasser150 wrote:Here, I will post my hunting stories as I go throughout the season, and things I learn along the way. May or may not include pictures. I am from central MN. This will be my first year hunting public, and my first out of state hunting as well! I got 4 tags for Wisconsin. (Bow and rifle) Got my permit late, and I have brother in Wisconsin, so have to meet him which limits my hunt time in Wisconsin. Overall I’m excited for my first year of Beast style hunting and excited to share with whoever is interested! Also I have no friends who have the drive to hunt the way I do… If anyone is in similar boat, how to deal with that? I enjoy hunting with buddies, but sucks when I want to go mile in swamp and they wanna sit over food plot :/

If you have doe tags they have to be unit specific by county in that unit, is that what you mean by limiting?

Good luck and believe what you see as far as sign. Don't second guess yourself and since you will have limited time be aggressive.

Because I only have permit, and it is a 4 and a half hour drive just to my brothers place for a few day hunt. Limiting is meaning that I am limited on time, I do not have license, so I cannot simply leave to go to Wisconsin to hunt, rather my parents meet my brother halfway, which he lives in Wisconsin. Also, for anyone asking... I mean drive like I have no friends who want to hunt beast style. Or have the motivation to do what I do. Hopefully I find some buddies on here. Have a great day man! John 14:6
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Buckharasser150 wrote:
Jurist wrote:

Because I only have permit, and it is a 4 and a half hour drive just to my brothers place for a few day hunt. Limiting is meaning that I am limited on time, I do not have license, so I cannot simply leave to go to Wisconsin to hunt, rather my parents meet my brother halfway, which he lives in Wisconsin. Also, for anyone asking... I mean drive like I have no friends who want to hunt beast style. Or have the motivation to do what I do. Hopefully I find some buddies on here. Have a great day man! John 14:6

So you’re under 16 years old is what you’re saying.

And your parents drive you to your brothers place or halfway there he picks you up and then you get to hunt on his land or the public land that he hunts.

Well, all I can say is that, you are far ahead of me when I was that age. Because I had all the desire, but none of the knowledge.

See if you can find yourself a copy of Ken Norberg’s deer and deer hunting, the first, second or third edition.

Ken is the first person to fully document the rut and all the phases of the rut. And he pioneered hunting out of tree stands, he was the first person to write about it in Minnesota.

You will never see the deer or the wood the same after reading his book.

Then, watch all Dan‘s videos, and you should be able to sneak up and get close to any do you want to.
"We know they are lying,
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:40 pm

some how double post
"We know they are lying,
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:43 pm

I am 16, got permit late.
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:14 pm

Buckharasser150 wrote:I am 16, got permit late.

Good luck buckharasser. Get after'em. I'll follow
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:39 am

First of all, thank you guys for looking at this post. It’s a week and one day away from opener here in MN! Over last two nights, I seen a nice 8-10 point come out of bedding with a NW wind (wind coming from bedding). He may only be a 110, but hey I might try for him. First deer/buck with bow… I’d be pretty excited. Lots of does. Btw this is my private property. Thing is there are bigger bucks running around, be fun to hold off and hunt more for bucks. We will see how bad I’m shaking. I’ve gotten nice pics of good deer, which I will attach.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MNbucknuts

Unread postby MNbucknuts » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:27 am

I am also a MN hunter!
excited to see how you do this season.
Good luck out there
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:07 am

MNbucknuts wrote:I am also a MN hunter!
excited to see how you do this season.
Good luck out there

Thanks man, you too. Where you from? In MN
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:59 am

I know this is not a hunt, but something that seems overlooked sometimes, when looking at what you need for beast style hunting. Shooting. I was pretty confident that I was set for the season with my target practice. Went out two days ago to shoot and confirm my confidence, when I shot left. Way left. I had to shoot well over 100 times to get back on target. Follow through and the level. Make sure you practice! If I had not found that out, I may have wounded a deer instead of killing a deer. At least I would have harassed it... But seriously, praise God that I practiced. I am now confident once again, but will be shooting this week as well. Have a good season guys! Next post will be most likely about my opening weekend/ first beast style hunt!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”