A House Divided

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
sagDE

Re: A House Divided

Unread postby sagDE » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:09 am

Honestly, I don’t see as much deer bashing as I see people posting a deer but assuming that others are going to bash them. Comments such as “he’s not my biggest” and the like. Personally I don’t know too many people who would actually bash someone for the animal they kill. We all have our own opinions and standards but it is not ok to impose them on others. The first deer I killed with a trad bow was a young buck just out of his spots. I was proud about it then and am still. No need to judge others. Most of us do this for the enjoyment of it. What kind of person would enjoy robbing someone of that enjoyment?

Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:42 am

Congrats to the young hunter. It’s a trophy no matter what the circumstances were or the size. :clap:
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:51 pm

Congrats to the young man and his kill.

Other then that I dont care really, he went and got it done, the deer was living wild on the land, screw what others think.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:22 pm

That’s why I stopped posting pictures of what I caught and killed, left “hunting groups” on and left all social media entirely. I choose now to be part of a hunting community (THB forum) and only share pictures and kills with limited people who will be happy for me.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:15 am

Congrats on a buck of a lifetime!

Would this deer be eligible for the beast big buck contest though?

I’d probably give it a vote for uniqueness of story and rarity of circumstances. 10 miles is a long way for a fenced his whole life creature to relocate!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:37 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Congrats on a buck of a lifetime!

Would this deer be eligible for the beast big buck contest though?

I’d probably give it a vote for uniqueness of story and rarity of circumstances. 10 miles is a long way for a fenced his whole life creature to relocate!

Haha good point. He must have been making up for lost time and really trying to stretch his legs. Then he found a bait pile and figured it was a good place to stop.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:32 am

I agree. Also social media is a cesspool and toxic. Thats why I love sharing here!

Even though he killed it in the wild, I think majority of hunters just hate pen deer. The main comments I saw online were mainly geared towards not being allowed into the books.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:40 pm

The vast majority of the negative comments are on social media or archery talk. Outside of those, feedback is almost always positive, occasionally neutral at worst. I think most folks could do with a lot less social media.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:17 pm

Great post OP. Shootem and eatem. If its bigger than a rabbit and I have a tag in my pocket I'm throwing metal if I feel like it.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:45 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Great post OP. Shootem and eatem. If its bigger than a rabbit and I have a tag in my pocket I'm throwing metal if I feel like it.

X2
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:00 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Great post OP. Shootem and eatem. If its bigger than a rabbit and I have a tag in my pocket I'm throwing metal if I feel like it.

X2

X3

I hunt for me and my goals. Not for others. Gave up caring about others opinions and I enjoy hunting much more because of it. As long as it’s legal, everybody should do what they please. Just happy to share the outdoors with those who share similar values. No time for those who feel the the need to tell you what to do, what gear to use or not use, or what to shoot.

But for the love of god, if you do shoot one, be happy for yourself. So deflating when people think they need to justify what they shot. I have an uncle that smokes a victory cigar and has a shot back at the cabin after every deer he shoots. I used to think it was a little weird cause he always shot the first deer he saw. Took a step back and realizes he hunts 1 day to my 10-15 and any deer is a trophy to him. I’m not one for cigars but, I have a shot with him every time now. Even a small fawn puts the biggest smile on his face. That’s all that matters. As much as I dislike the personalities at camp, everybody getting excited over any deer is very contagious and the reason I go back every year.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:39 am

https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/ ... uck-story/

Sometimes the folks screaming "high fence" are right.

I get a kick out of the fact that this guys is now playing the victim card and trying to blame "fake news". Can't make this stuff up.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:28 am

Like a lot of people, I left all of the big name social media platforms due to the constant stream of negativity that you wouldn't find anywhere else. It's just outdoor forums for me now. Anyway, if I would have posted a pic of a button buck I mistook for a mid-size doe early last year, there would have been all sort of haters coming at me. Same thing would have happen for a forkhorn I took last year as my OH buck (or "antlered deer" as they are called here). That's what my available hunting time allowed me to take, and while I normally would have held out for an older buck, I was very happy with my results given the limited opportunity I had. Both were beautiful animals and made amazing dishes. Some people just don't get that and feel if it's not a mature animal, you're sort of a hunting loser.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:46 am

Primetime41 wrote:https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/new-evidence-derek-settle-buck-story/

I get a kick out of the fact that this guys is now playing the victim card and trying to blame "fake news". Can't make this stuff up.

Sure seems like he was trying to pull a fast one and enter it as a wild Kentucky deer. He must be incredibly stupid to think that would work.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:01 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Primetime41 wrote:https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/new-evidence-derek-settle-buck-story/

Sure seems like he was trying to pull a fast one and enter it as a wild Kentucky deer. He must be incredibly stupid to think that would work.

It’s amazing what some people will do just to get 15 minutes of fame. :roll:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”