Hunting points in swamps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

3531usmc

Hunting points in swamps

Unread postby 3531usmc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:11 pm

When hunting small points in swamps is it best to set up on the side the wind is blowing(wind in face) next to edge of swamp.Or set up like in hill country so they have a sense of security. Also if beds are on hard edge wind would be to back ? And if further out in swamp could be it be any wind?

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Hunting points in swamps

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Depends on the size of it and where you are on the point, but generally ai see them moving on more of the leeward side.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:59 pm

greenhorndave wrote:Depends on the size of it and where you are on the point, but generally ai see them moving on more of the leeward side.

Ok makes sense thanks! Would you says that’s the same with a relatively flat point as well?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:48 pm

Here is how I hunt most points. Most of the time I cannot hunt the main trail coming off the point. It is protected by wind or thermals or both. I will set off to one side or the other. Usually they will be heading somewhere predictable so I will know what side to hunt. By predictable I mean pressure, food or does. The bucks I see do not always come down the point. They will cut through the swamp at an angle alot too. Use trail, and land features to figure out the perfect setup.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:13 am

I see them bedding similar to what old rank shows. But usually they are on the predominantly downwind side of the point (rarely do I get a wind blowing straight down a point for some reason), bedded wind to face in a spot where they have good visual up onto the dry even if that puts them bedded more in the ‘armpit’ of the point.

If they are bedded off the tip or just off the point in the swamp, I see them cut at an angle like he showed not usually right up the middle of the point. Unless there isn’t much pressure there, that is a very sloppy and dangerous way for them to approach the high ground in the evening in most cases.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:58 am

PK_ wrote:I see them bedding similar to what old rank shows. But usually they are on the predominantly downwind side of the point (rarely do I get a wind blowing straight down a point for some reason), bedded wind to face in a spot where they have good visual up onto the dry even if that puts them bedded more in the ‘armpit’ of the point.

If they are bedded off the tip or just off the point in the swamp, I see them cut at an angle like he showed not usually right up the middle of the point. Unless there isn’t much pressure there, that is a very sloppy and dangerous way for them to approach the high ground in the evening in most cases.

Yes, same. Almost always that main trail is like a thermal vacuum at dusk for me. In my early beast days I always tried to set up on the main trails off the point. My success increased when I shifted off to a side. Sometimes I have to drop back further off the transition to aim thermal drop in a safer area. That is a lower odds hunt because they have more options to skate me. If I can get on anything that creates a natural funnel or travel corridor it can still payoff though.
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:57 am

oldrank wrote:Image

Here is how I hunt most points. Most of the time I cannot hunt the main trail coming off the point. It is protected by wind or thermals or both. I will set off to one side or the other. Usually they will be heading somewhere predictable so I will know what side to hunt. By predictable I mean pressure, food or does. The bucks I see do not always come down the point. They will cut through the swamp at an angle alot too. Use trail, and land features to figure out the perfect setup.

Thanks a lot I’ll have to give it a try. I have seen trails coming from the start of the Point on both sides. Almost as if there bedding watching access to the point from a old logging road. So they watch the access out to the point! Catching anyone walking up the point. It happened to me I found beds in winter time on the point and of the point in all different directions. Thinking they where bedding off the point but maybe in early seasons with more cover there watching the only access to the point. Has anyone seen that before?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:26 am

The term point is also occasionally misleading. The point may actually be the right diagram. A small bump that Peter's out into a few trees.. This is actually a ligit diagram of how a spot I hunt lays out. Just like PK said I will see bedding up in the armpit of the point. A fallin tree or thicket of dogwood or tangle of autumn olive will have beds if it lays out as "safe". I mark x's with bedding.

On the hard point like the diagram on the left I do not see bedding. Usually a scrap line and trails. In that instance the beds are in the swamp or arm pit. What I do see is deer come up on it to feed or cross it or skate the tip just traveling the inside swamp transition. If I see scrapes I see the buck come out at an angle and j hook the scrap.
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:48 pm

The term point is also occasionally misleading. The point may actually be the right diagram. A small bump that Peter's out into a few trees.. This is actually a ligit diagram of how a spot I hunt lays out. Just like PK said I will see bedding up in the armpit of the point. A fallin tree or thicket of dogwood or tangle of autumn olive will have beds if it lays out as "safe". I mark x's with bedding.

On the hard point like the diagram on the left I do not see bedding. Usually a scrap line and trails. In that instance the beds are in the swamp or arm pit. What I do see is deer come up on it to feed or cross it or skate the tip just traveling the inside swamp transition. If I see scrapes I see the buck come out at an angle and j hook the scrap.

Ok that clears it up thanks for the explanation . Very helpful!!
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:04 pm

I have spots like that where there aren't defined points, but more like gentle curves and bowls. I seem to find more beds right on the edge in the bowls than on the points. Maybe thats just a characteristic of this particular spot because of predominent winds there? I don't know. Then I have seen them cut across the "point" horizontally sometimes.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:19 am

This is a great drawing. It’s exactly how i hunt these swamp points as the wind direction almost always blows right in at them. So if you hunt right in the trail they got you pegged.

My wind blows into the swamp but just to the left or right of where they will be so it blows by them. Granted at times you get busted if they come out different but it’s the best you can do if you want to hunt these types of spots and at least be in the game.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”