Opening day pressure struggles

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Opening day pressure struggles

Unread postby Smitty » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:15 am

Two years in a row I did my scouting and observations of certain areas and had my setups pretty bullet proof so I thought anyway. 2020 opener the property I had pegged was very difficult access for us public guys but not so much for the adjacent landowner and that was the case, cameras in a couple places, and ATV trails from private all over onto the public and you guessed it no more deer sign! 2021 opening day spot was hot last year from my observations and first hand sighting of a good buck the previous year so I tweaked my location for this year and thought I would be in a great position for success but no luck. Turns out it was being bear hunted heavily and had some other human pressure on top of that so no deer for me. I’ve decided keeping tabs on human pressure is more time consuming than keeping tabs on the deer. I’ll keep making adjustments with the little time I have to hunt and hopefully make something come together good luck all!

Haste makes waste
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Re: Opening day pressure struggles

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:28 am

Toughest part of hunting public is figuring out what everyone else is going to be doing and how it’s effecting the deer. At least in SE WI there is ALWAYS someone else hunting your spots no matter how remote or overlooked you think it is unfortunately. But if you can figure out how the deer are adjusting and then capitalize on that you’re in the game.

You really do have to almost hunt the pressure to get into deer and ignore unmolested natural deer patterns you scouted earlier at times.

Tough when as a public land hunter you gotta bust your tail to get to a spot the neighboring private guy can drive his truck to though.

Best of luck going forward.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:00 am

Sometimes getting WAY back on public means getting closer to private. Seem a lot of landowners like to think the public is theirs also...........
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:22 am

brkissl82 wrote:Sometimes getting WAY back on public means getting closer to private. Seem a lot of landowners like to think the public is theirs also...........

Agreed. You’ll see ATV trails from private and garbage along some of the borders way back there. They think it’s just a big extension of their property.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:14 am

I had the spot I wanted to myself opening morning, but afternoon Saturday had a hunter walk through my spot at 4:30 (and came from the direction of the beds :doh: ) and Sunday had to move to a secondary spot after there was someone in my primary. Wouldn't you know it, the morning was the only time I saw deer.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 am

I’ve personally never been smart enough to figure out what everyone else is doing. But I have been smart enough to figure out when everyone else isn’t there. I focus my efforts around that.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:02 am

greenhorndave wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:Sometimes getting WAY back on public means getting closer to private. Seem a lot of landowners like to think the public is theirs also...........

Agreed. You’ll see ATV trails from private and garbage along some of the borders way back there. They think it’s just a big extension of their property.

So kill a buck and hang the nuts on the fenceline. :mrgreen:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:27 pm

Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

:lol: :handgestures-thumbup:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:55 pm

Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Cant speak for dead bucks but I have hung my nuts on quite a few fence lines :lol: Being 5’10” crossing tight 5’ fences doesn’t leave much margin for error.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”